6 v coil on elect. ign. for '28 DB

I have converted my distibutor to electronic ignition. I have the 6v positive ground coil. I have heard both sides of needing to use an external resistor (or Not) to keep the coil from burning out. Has anyone any experience using an external resistor on a 6 v coil. If so part number, source would be much appreciated.<BR>Paul

Someone asked me this question via e-mail and I did some checking. Please don't take this answer to the bank, but best I can tell, all coils sold nowadays have an internal resistor unless specifically stated not. I believe, but not sure, that the original 6V North East coils did not. Please would someone else reading this with knowledge confirm this?<BR>This issue arose because someone was having their original NE coils burning out when using them with the Romar electronic ignition, and the possibility that lack of resistor in the NE unit was the problem. <BR>Resistors are said to be "good" in coils because they allow full dose of voltage on startup but then as the resistor heats up, reduce the voltage. <BR>When Romar originally sold these units, they priced them to include a modern coil. Do they no longer supply this? I would recomend buying their coil or at least get the part number of coil from them.<BR>I am currently running an electronic distributor on my Victory with the original NE coil. I have had no trouble yet but would hate to see the original unit burn out and be lost forever.<BR>I hope others will join this discussion with solid information.