V12 fuel pump

dl456

Hello,

I will be on my third new fuel pump in the last few years and my car is not officially on the road yet.

The last one was a new Airtex I believe. The car has been sitting in the shop during assembly.

The push rod is new and appears to have good travel. When I remove the pumps and work it by hand,

I have little to no vacuum or pressure.

Anybody have a similar experience with replacement pumps?

Any suggestions on finding a good one?

Thanks,

Dennis

Yes  , even though "they" tell you the pumps are rebuilt/made with soft parts that are "fuel" proof; they aren't. Some seem to lose their "seal" at the diaphragm after about a year? I've had the best luck with pumps from Earle Brown Jr.; see "sources".

Thanks Peecher,

I suspected that.

One pump that I disassembled clearly had some leakage at the diaphragm but no apparent cause.

The second one that I had apart  had some issues with the valve function but no apparent 

corrosion or decay. I just don't get it.

Will try Mr. Brown.

I for one, miss your once frequent posts on these forums. Hope all is well.

Dennis

• 1 month later...

My original pump could not supply enough fuel. I ran it for awhile with a spacer to get more lift, but that was an imperfect solution.  I bought a new one from Sacramento Vintage Ford, and couldn't keep it from overpowering the float valve and flooding the engine with gas. I replaced the spring with the spring from the old one, and now it is "just right." I have over 2,000 miles on it and no problems.