Recommended Posts

I am going to redo my trunk compartment when I get my 65 out of the bodyshop. What is the correct finish for the trunk floor and so forth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jframe said:

I am going to redo my trunk compartment when I get my 65 out of the bodyshop. What is the correct finish for the trunk floor and so forth?

 

Hi jframe

I bought the original trunk lining from SMSAutofabrics.com end of last year, but changed my mind and used other materials and fabrics... I made my trunk with the same fabrics I used in the interior.

Actually the trunk fabrics it is on a roll and well packed, laying in a corner of my atelier - have no utility for it... (it is the 3rd pattern on the image below). There is enought material to redo the whole trunk.

If you are interested, I would leave it for you to a friend price.

What do you think?

 

 

26992402864_70503f9dcd_o.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I am going to attempt to clean the original fabric, since it's not torn or anything, just stained. I was referring to the trunk sheetmetal as to what I should refinish it with. Don't know if Buick did them in black paint, body color, spatter paint, etc. I appreciate your offer though, and that material looks like an excellent match!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 64 had some kind of a handmade assembly tool in the trunk under the fabric.  It (and the trunk) were painted the same color as the body.  I finally removed it a couple of years ago (because I got tired of the lump in the floor).  The impression from the tool is still in the fabric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the 64's and 65's I have owned over the years, the trunk floor was always the same color as the body.  Buick did not use the spatter paint that was common in many GM cars of the era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my Riv too, the finish color of the trunk bottom is the same like the body color.

 

No problem jframe... just thought, the trunk lining could interest you, 'cos it is the original fabrics and you're redoing your trunk...

 

I also bought the seat fabrics and vinyl for my interior, it's a perfect match and I'm very happy with it.

 

If you want my trunk lining, you can have it for free... better someone can use it, than it is here laying arround. I just would ask for the shipping fees (just in case you can't wash yours without any trouble). Mine was so dry and cracked, it felt appart as I tryed to take it off... (why I bought this new trunk lining).

 

It is still here, just let me know if you should change your mind 😉👌🏻

 

Regards, Schmiddy

 

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Schmiddy said:

On my Riv too, the finish color of the trunk bottom is the same like the body color.

 

No problem jframe... just thought, the trunk lining could interest you, 'cos it is the original fabrics and you're redoing your trunk...

 

I also bought the seat fabrics and vinyl for my interior, it's a perfect match and I'm very happy with it.

 

If you want my trunk lining, you can have it for free... better someone can use it, than it is here laying arround. I just would ask for the shipping fees (just in case you can't wash yours without any trouble). Mine was so dry and cracked, it felt appart as I tryed to take it off... (why I bought this new trunk lining).

 

It is still here, just let me know if you should change your mind 😉👌🏻

 

Regards, Schmiddy

 

Very generous, Schmiddy.

 

Makes me want a '65!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Schmiddy said:

On my Riv too, the finish color of the trunk bottom is the same like the body color.

 

No problem jframe... just thought, the trunk lining could interest you, 'cos it is the original fabrics and you're redoing your trunk...

 

I also bought the seat fabrics and vinyl for my interior, it's a perfect match and I'm very happy with it.

 

If you want my trunk lining, you can have it for free... better someone can use it, than it is here laying arround. I just would ask for the shipping fees (just in case you can't wash yours without any trouble). Mine was so dry and cracked, it felt appart as I tryed to take it off... (why I bought this new trunk lining).

 

It is still here, just let me know if you should change your mind 😉👌🏻

 

Regards, Schmiddy

 

Schmiddy, I may just take you up on that fabric. We cleaned the trunk bottom.piece tonight, and it looks much better, but it has me maybe rethinking putting new in. Give me a price shipped to 35633 zip code in the State of Alabama, U.S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jframe, I will do that when I'm back from holidays, I'm on Mallorca now for two weeks and will be back the 14th. I guess it will be somewhere between $50.00 and $75.00 (This is what I usually pay when I order in the US. I come back to you with the final costs.)

I hope, you can wait that long...

 

telriv, sure! If jframe doesn't want it, you're the next on my list! 😉👍🏻

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1.8.2017 at 3:04 AM, jframe said:

Schmiddy, I may just take you up on that fabric. We cleaned the trunk bottom.piece tonight, and it looks much better, but it has me maybe rethinking putting new in. Give me a price shipped to 35633 zip code in the State of Alabama, U.S.

 

Jframe, I'm still in Spain at the moment, but checked out how much the shipping costs would be for the trunk lining... In our value this would be (Swiss Franks) CHF 72.00 plus package (roll/tube) --> Will be at the end  +/- $80.00
 

Do you want it? If not, Tom would take it... (Right, Tom???)


I would send the package around the 14th of August.
We could handle the transaction via Paypal, this is I guess the easiest way.

Just let me know.

 

image.thumb.png.806661c9a864d70161bf6e845ff3cbd9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, telriv said:

Schmiddy,

 

   Sorry I'm out.

 

 

Tom T.

 

No problem Tom, jframe will take it as he told me 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, telriv said:

I bought my '64 NEW in '64. The trunk was painted car color & still is.

 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:33 PM, KongaMan said:

It (and the trunk) were painted the same color as the body.

 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, Pat Curran said:

Of all the 64's and 65's I have owned over the years, the trunk floor was always the same color as the body.  Buick did not use the spatter paint that was common in many GM cars of the era.

 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, Schmiddy said:

On my Riv too, the finish color of the trunk bottom is the same like the body color.

 

7 hours ago, Mr Jones said:

Mine is still original - I just checked it and it is the same color as the exterior.

 

A little late here, but, I agree with all above.

 

My Flame Red 65 GS has the trunk painted body color.

IMG_2543.JPG

Edited by Rivman
added pic (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now