alsancle

American Rolls Royce (Ghost, PI & PII)

LaMarr Disc in Southern California. I think they are in the San Diego area. They've been making them for years  --- for all types of automobiles.

21 hours ago, alsancle said:

John,

Do you know if anybody is making the wheel disks?

I am only aware of the company referenced by West Peterson and Peter Zobian (and I have not bought complete sets from them, but on the 25/30 cars I have bought the replacement parts for the die cast pieces at the hub and they were very nice).

I actually would not mind having an original PI set of (20") wheel disk covers - anyone have an extra set ?.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Took the trunk off the P1, removed the incorrect windshield wipers, and fixed some stone chips and road rash on the front end. For a 53 year old restoration it has been well maintained and looks great from five feet away. I think the car would still score 95 points. It was kind of loaded up from sitting the last four months, but driving it around is getting back to its sweet spot again.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Peter Zobian said:

I think the addition of overdrive to my Rolls would not to make it go faster, but to lower the engine revs at a reasonable speed.

You are mistaken.   Your phantom is an extremely "long-stroke" motor - made necessary from a design standpoint  by the fuels available of the era in which it was engineered.   Beyond a certain rpm, it LOOSES power.

Yes - you are correct to this extent....an overdrive  (typically around 70%)  would lower the engine revs.  But at ANY speed !    By reducing the final drive out-put shaft's rpm,  you would effectively get MORE power at higher speeds,  since you'd be getting the engine's rpm down to its best power-producing level. 

A typically over-drive-equipped long stroke car such as your Phantom would be at LEAST  20 mph faster  "flat out"   than a "stock-geared" one.

I agree.  Very nice car and would have it my driveway any time.  That said, I can't help wondering how it goes with modern fuels, no ventilation in the hood (apart from the "manicure slot" next to the fan which I could never figure out) and the fuel vacuum tank mounted up against the hood on the firewall.

And, refinished back ash trays, repolished all the German Silver, reworked the reading lamp ground, installed a new divider window glass, polished a good 100 German silver screws and bezels, and .... 

23622272_10156066721272189_803247535830234738_n.jpg

23658908_10156066719522189_2264816641684047038_n.jpg

23622167_10156066746882189_5534875702451101489_n.jpg

23659412_10156066728687189_8467424923242396640_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/3/2017 at 8:09 PM, alsancle said:

Is this P1 or Ghost and who do you think the body builder is?  Supposedly Murphy but I'm not sure.

RollsRoyceConvCoupe.jpgSilver ghost by Memerinac

On 11/27/2017 at 2:09 PM, alsancle said:

Looks great John!!!

Thanks, it is getting there - just tinkering with small stuff now (it took a lot of time  to get it mechanically from "long term storage" to "turnkey" and doing a large scale cosmetic pick-me-up so that it can be proudly displayed at any car show or Concours d'Elegance).  And, time for this automobile to find a new owner  - I need to finish the restoration of my 852 Auburn Phaeton, I promised several local groups that I would get a WWII Jeep, I have started a business and also need to find a new role while that business develops over time, and .... 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

John,  the 3 things I have noticed that really can set you back financially are:

1.  Having kids.

2.  Starting a business.

3.  Restoring a car.

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

John,  the 3 things I have noticed that really can set you back financially are:

1.  Having kids.

2.  Starting a business.

3.  Restoring a car.

First is getting married

Seconed is getting divorced 

Third is having kids

Everything else in life is cheap!

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

This is a good comp for the LHD PII Town car that we posted from eBay a few pages back.  That car needed everything while this car looks fantastic for 200k.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/rolls-royce/phantom-ii/1983980.html

59862874-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

Wow! Beautiful. Again, I'd like to see it with wheel discs on it. Doesn't look very comfortable to drive, but if I could find somebody to do the driving duties I'd be happy to sit in the back.

• Like 1

Great car, with the front door having a rear hinge and cut on that angle along the windshield line, it makes getting in and out of the car much easier, even if you are six feet tall. 

West, you could probably take a solid couple of inches out of that front seat back cushion which would make it acceptable to most guys.  I have a friend who is 6-2 and he can fit in his Henley (although tight).