How to polish reflectors?

My reflectors were polished for 55 years with "talcum powder" before they needed re-silvering.  The silver plating company that re-plated them said any good silver polish was better (do not use silvo because it is too abrasive) and to remember to polish straight out from the center.  Don't polish in a circular motion they said because it will diffuse the reflected light.

With 50/32 candle power bulbs I have no trouble driving 50 mph at night and being able to stop within my headlight beam.

Yes , lampblack. I have been told this by 2 extremely experienced "old timers" , mid 80s & early 90s. One said use kerosene , the other turpentine. Use as per advice above. Gentle radial , rather than circular strokes. Do not become too aggressive , or you will diminish the reflectivity. Better to do not quite enough than just a little too much.  - Carl 

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

OK, I'll bite:  Hardware stores seem not to carry lampblack any more, and it's a pain to make your own in suitable quantity.  Where can I get some?

Might try an artist's supply. I think some people still mix their own colors and I believe lampblack is one of the pigments they use.

Try cotton balls.  They are very soft, won't scratch.  Don't use polyester puffs, too abrasive!  If the lampblack doesn't do it, try just a little Bon Ami ["Hasn't scratched yet!" is their motto] and water with a drop or two or dish washing detergent like Dawn.  Your grocery store may have some silver wipes which can remove tarnish using mild abrasive and a little chemistry, but keep that as a last resort, as you don't want to remove too much silver.  Rinse thoroughly in warm water and pat dry with a soft cotton dish towel.  Whatever you use, go slowly and gently, and quit when it's good enough, not perfect. 

• 1 month later...

Lampblack , of course is extremely fine carbon. A perfect abrasive for the task. Old soft rags made from well-worn pure cotton T-shirts sure make good polishing laps. Uvira is a permanent fix. Cleaning if ever needed should still be done gently. As Gary says , just a very small drop or two of dishwashing detergent in a small pan of water.   - Carl 

• Like 1