Interesting 65 Road Wheels??

pyntre

I need some help figuring out the wheels on this 65......am I seeing things or are there trim rings attached over / on the rally wheels of this car ?? Does anyone know who's car this is ? 

Looks pretty nice in my eyes !

IMG_7459.JPG

I know that car (i think anyway), car is located somewhere around Portland, OR.  I have spoken to the owner, he told me he used Olds trim rings and that he did it because he did not want to send his wheels out for re-chroming as there was some pitting and surface rust, so this was an inexpensive upgrade and he wasn't without his wheels for any period of time.  I agree that they look good, it adds depth to the rim.  BTW - it is a legit dual quad GS.

Edited by TheRev (see edit history)

Wow. That is really cool. I'm surprised GM didn't think to try it. Throughout the 60s and 70's they tried all types of wheel, trim, spinner combos across the various marques. I love it when somebody finds something cool to try that should have been obvious to us all. PRL

I hope somebody can get a name or email attached to the owner on this one !

I am in the same boat , would like to save the 1400 .00 bucks on Rechrome on mine and try this option , at least for a while ... I really like the way it looks on those wheels !!!!!! Oldsmobile trim rings , hmmmm 

I have his card somewhere, I will try to find it.  He made it sound like these were garden variety beauty rings and were not hard to source.  I know for sure he told me the ones he used were made for Olds rally wheels.

3 hours ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

The center caps look like `66s (my computer screen is small) Did he strip the black paint off? Anyway, I think it`s an  innovative way to dress up ratty road wheels.

If they are the original 65 wheels, they are the correct color.  The webs in the wheels were not black till later years.

4 hours ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

The center caps look like `66s (my computer screen is small) Did he strip the black paint off? Anyway, I think it`s an  innovative way to dress up ratty road wheels.

They are '66 -'70 centre caps and those wheels look good with the trim rings !!

I just did a little measuring on the  wheels I have ,  looks like a 3 inch deep trim ring will cover 99 percent of the outer rim .  90 bucks or so will buy 4 new stainless trim rings in that dimension .  Would like to hear more on the Oldsmobile option though !

The more I look at this, the more I like it. I wonder if they're rings for 15x8 Chevy Rally wheels? I looked up Olds trim rings, and they a slight step down at the lip area. Rally rings have a flat lip with a sharp transition from the lip of the wheel to the barrel.

I want to use short chrome bullets as the center caps, I think it could be something interesting.

One thing to keep in mind.......the trim rings will gouge the hell out of the outer rims leaving very dip scratches that would be

very difficult to remove if you want to chrome them and go stock at a later date. Also Ed..........on what Oldsmobile model were there chrome trim rings.......

I've only ever seen stainless steel trim rings on an Oldsmobile.

Ok saw the car yesterday and spoke to the owner again.  Apparently here in Portland there was a wheel shop that was doing a lot of work on original wheels, I do not recall the name.  He has his wheels widened by one inch, so they are now 15 x 7, with one inch of offset and he runs a small spacer.  At that same time, he bought the trim rings from the shop, and doesn't remember exactly what application they were for.

Thank you for the information TheRev ! Sometimes just seeing a new idea is all it takes to work hard for all the answers ,and find the pieces and parts to put it together . There are literally pages of trim rings to browse through on the inter web , just have to order up a set ,or 4 , to get it right !!! As we all know ,  if you're in a hurry to build a Riviera , you've got the wrong hobby !!! When I get it figured out I will let whoever is following this know !!!!!  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2017 at 6:29 PM, jsgun said:

The more I look at this, the more I like it. I wonder if they're rings for 15x8 Chevy Rally wheels? I looked up Olds trim rings, and they a slight step down at the lip area. Rally rings have a flat lip with a sharp transition from the lip of the wheel to the barrel.

I want to use short chrome bullets as the center caps, I think it could be something interesting.

I like the look also.  I tried a trim ring from a 15X8 Chevy Rally wheel the other day.  Definitely won't work.

Loren@65GS.com

On July 28, 2017 at 6:28 PM, RivNut said:

If they are the original 65 wheels, they are the correct color.  The webs in the wheels were not black till later years.

Hi Ed  or anyone out there -  just had my 65 GS wheels replated by Rally America and need to tell them what color (silver/gray ) I want in the webs. Any help would be very much appreciated . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

Ken,

What color is your car?  There's an ROA member here in the Kansas City area who has a triple black 65.  His car looks so much better with black painted webs on his rally wheels.  He also runs triple stripe white side walls.  The car is a real head turner.

Are you looking to recreate a 400 point car or one that might be what you would have designed had you been working in the Buick studios back in the day? I think that my silver 65 wouldn't look as good with the black webs so I'll stick with gray.  My $.02 opinion. 

Ed

• Thanks 1

Hi Ed - assume you are talking about Gordon's car? If so , I have seen that car and it is indeed gorgeous ! My 65 is in primer right now and I am vacillating  on whether to paint it in its original Verde Green or something else . I have no interest in the 400 point thing - just want something that looks good . This car was all original when I bought it three years ago and did have faded gray webs from sitting in a Minnesota barn for 30 years but suspect black would look good as well if I did go back to the Verde Green ( interior is black) . Thanks Ken

I think that the picture of the Seafoam car in Winston's post looks good with the gray webs in the wheels. The red line tires look good, although I'd prefer a triple white side wall. Just my choice. If we all thought the same on everything, this would be a pretty boring world in which we live.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a set of Buick Rally Wheels for my winter tires for my Roadmaster wagon.  On the way home I stopped at The Hubcap answer Wheel Store in Kansas City Kansas.  I found dead a set of deep dish trim rings for a Monte Carlo.  The part number that I was given is TR 225 DD. I didn't get a manufacturer. Wheels are still in the back of the wagon waiting game to be cleaned up and have the webs repainted. $60 for four wheels; $60 for four trim rings.  Anyone have any ideas for center cap for a two inch hole.  Remember, this is for a 94 Roadmaster wagon.

20170830_174704.thumb.jpg.4ad57db1db02d0d8d3f658a0a3c72699.jpg20170830_174630.thumb.jpg.7fc047c23bde52993c367061661a5404.jpg20170830_174619.thumb.jpg.96d4eb71167317396b9a296aa3ccce4c.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/20/2017 at 8:42 PM, Seafoam65 said:

they should be a non metallic charcoal gray........DSCN0217.thumb.JPG.d89a7506118444614951b6e4ad229109.JPG

Maybe it is the shade reproduction in this particular picture (or maybe its my laptop!) but this does not look like the factory `65 color in the wheel webs. There appears to be much more gold/bronze in this picture...but the weird thing is as the color progresses out from the lug nuts toward the chrome rim in the lower web the shade changes to what is closer to factory ??? Weird...aside from the common description which Winston uses in his post, non-metallic or charcoal grey, the factory color approaches what fresh, new cast iron looks like.

Tom

TDSCN0226.thumb.JPG.78193d982f0d9fbb533259176fed9094.JPGThe way they look depends on the lighting......that shot was with a late low in the sky piercing sunlight hitting the wheel

here's another shot under more normal lighting conditions......Also, the Seafoam Green paint looks different depending on the light. It looks Green in bright sunlight, and much more blue in the shade.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks......One of my friends owns a 1965 Bonneville 421 Tri-power convertible that is the exact same color as my car

except Pontiac called the color Palmetto Green. His car has 8 lug wheels with redlines and came from the factory that way. You could get

redlines on  big Pontiacs in 1965 because they had 14 inch wheels instead of 15. Back in 1970 when I was going to the University of Texas, there was

a lady who worked at the State Capitol which was just south of campus who drove a Bamboo Cream 65 Riviera GS with a black vinyl top, black cloth

custom interior and  Chrome Wheels with redlines......it was the prettiest 65 riviera I have ever seen back then or now. I am considering  going with

triple whitewalls when my current tires get too old to be safe in two years. Here's what my car looks like with whitewalls to give you a point of reference.....

this shot was when I took delivery of my car by Auto Transporter.........I removed these tires the next day because they were 12 years old and not safe to drive on although they looked brand new.

DSCN4488.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On August 30, 2017 at 4:21 PM, RivNut said:

I picked up a set of Buick Rally Wheels for my winter tires for my Roadmaster wagon.  On the way home I stopped at The Hubcap answer Wheel Store in Kansas City Kansas.  I found dead a set of deep dish trim rings for a Monte Carlo.  The part number that I was given is TR 225 DD. I didn't get a manufacturer. Wheels are still in the back of the wagon waiting game to be cleaned up and have the webs repainted. $60 for four wheels; $60 for four trim rings.  Anyone have any ideas for center cap for a two inch hole.  Remember, this is for a 94 Roadmaster wagon.

20170830_174704.thumb.jpg.4ad57db1db02d0d8d3f658a0a3c72699.jpg20170830_174630.thumb.jpg.7fc047c23bde52993c367061661a5404.jpg20170830_174619.thumb.jpg.96d4eb71167317396b9a296aa3ccce4c.jpg

Ed, did you end up installing these on your wagon? Did the beauty rings fit without widening the rim ? And last question, what code number are your rims? Thanks

I wound up not running the beauty rings when I took off the summer tires/wheels and mounted the M/S tires on the rally wheels.  The guy at the store got them to seat.  When I tried, once the tires were mounted, I couldn't get them to seat.  That's only been a couple of weeks ago so after the holidays, I'm going to go back to the store and see what he did that I didn't do.  

These wheels are the 895 code wheels - came out in 1971.  

The last picture is off a ring seated on a standard 895 rim.  No modifications to anything. 

I'll post again after going back to the store where I got the rings.

Ed

Here's a picture (sorry about the dirt) of a wheel on which I have repainted the webs and assembled a really old center cap, on an old wheel, with a modern emblem.

20171116_173738.thumb.jpg.61784ccb74aaa95ad4f54369ab17861a.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, RivNut said:

This combo looks deeper than a Chicago pie.

Quite a good effect of depth and all GM.

I'll bet there is an off beat spinner that would match it.

20170830_174619_thumb_jpg_96d4eb71167317396b9a296aa3ccce4c.jpg