Please help identify

Here are three photos of automobiles associated with two twentieth century rights activists, the subject of a major display at the Castine, Maine Historical Society. I believe two cars, from the teens may be the same. I only have a rear shot of the car from the late thirties. Any suggestions?403a1b6acadbdc28-photo.thumb.jpeg.ef730e194b99752b613bc23dbbd4ea72.jpegl607e6af0088a804f-photo.thumb.jpeg.daf10dd5d182f1a1ec1075f3eef932eb.jpeg12ef6af442cdb14c-photo.thumb.jpeg.eb545283b5dd14fdf3daf072392aae6f.jpeg

Notice in the pictures of the 1936 LaSalle and Cadillac that they are 'smaller' series cars and have more slope to the rear end of the body. The mystery car is a 'big series' model as it has a nearer vertical rear end. Note also the extra length in the rear door and in the rear quarter window.  Both Buick and Cadillac used the same body for 1936 and '37 - in Buick's case for the big series cars only. I think it is a 1937 Cadillac as the tail lights are different to the '36. Probably impossible to say exactly which series it is as there were several different wheelbases and they all used the same 7.50 x 16 tyres.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Dave Henderson said:

Bumpers have a Buick look .  I'm thinkin' it may be a '37  Buick 90 series Limited Limousine. 

I think you may be right.  Cadillac tail lights are also more prominent. My only issue is that the hub caps look more Cadillac. Maybe they are Cadillac hub caps on a Buick?

Buick - 1937-buick-series-90l-limited-limousine-

Cadillac - 1937_Cadillac_Fleetwood2.jpg

14 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I think you may be right.  Cadillac tail lights are also more prominent. My only issue is that the hub caps look more Cadillac. Maybe they are Cadillac hub caps on a Buick?

Yes, it could be that the hubcaps have been changed, or maybe the picture just isn't clear enough.   The rim band looks a bit too fat to have been original to me also, but it may just be glare.   I see the fender has an unrepaired dent, an indication that the car may have passed into less "caring hands" and that is where parts sometimes are replaced with incorrect substitutions. 

Buick - 1937-buick-series-90l-limited-limousine-

Cadillac - 1937_Cadillac_Fleetwood2.jpg

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, Craig Gillingham said:

I thought the second and third car may be a D45 Buick.

Bringing this one back to the top after having another look. I think you might be right with Buick, because of the gap in the hood louvres. There are two blocks of six. I thought it might have been the bigger D-55, but the hood louvres clinched it.

16-Buick_D45_Touring_Dv-07-PCS_01.jpg

• 3 months later...