Interesting but sad Article

epriv

It is only a matter of time before people do electric motor conversions on their Rivs so they can 

legally drive on public roads. GM will probably start offering electric drive conversion kits similar to their LS motor based kits they sell now.

That drives me angry anytime I read such articles... :angry:
This is a big issue since 2-3 years in Europe (specially here in Switzerland).

What I can't understand is, why everybody thinks electrical engines are less polluting and produces no CO2 than a conventional internal combustion engine???  The internal combustion engine converts the fuel in the engine to energy. In the case of the electric motor, this process occurs during the production of the current. Depending on the type of production, it takes up to four times the amount of energy generated. The technical term for this is called primary energy factor (PEF).
Furthermore, it must be taken into account that if more electricity is needed than can be produced (and this will happen if government really wants to stop allowing conventional combustion engines, I can't imagine, that we will be able to produce enough for all cars driving on our roads today - tendency growing), the power stations - in particular nuclear power stations and coal power plants - will certainly not be able to be taken off the grid. These power plants have a PEF of four. This increases the consumption of e.g. a Tesla at about 73 kilowatt hours per 100 kilometers.
In addition, a lot of energy is lost when charging a battery. The loss of the battery is calculated with a factor of 1.7. This means that the real consumption of a Tesla is 124 kilowatt hours per 100 kilometers, which corresponds to a petrol engine with a consumption of ten liters.

C02 balance is even worse at Tesla. In the production of one kilowatt hour of carbon dioxide, an average of 1000 grams of CO2 is produced. For 100 kilometers, this means a discharge of 31 kilograms or 310 grams per kilometer for the Tesla. Today, no new car with an internal combustion engine is able to achieve such an output. In addition, the problems with the manufacture and disposal of the battery occur. A Tesla (and, of course, all those who are similar to this car) is an ecological stepback, if not a disaster! <_<

Thank you epriv, as you said, this interesting but very sad!!! (Needless to mention what will happen with all our restored classic cars!!! :()

• Like 1

Reminds me a little of the panic I felt in the 70s when big blocks were disapearing and gas was skyrocketing.  I was a kid and wanted a chance at a hemi.  Not to be, I thought.  

Well, thats changed hasn't it.  There are cars out there now that will run rings around anything that was available 40 years ago.  Still like the old stuff, but if I want to go fast there are better options now.  

Time will tell.  

Batteries will reduce the range of these. The French have them, too. Haven't seen plans to halt production.

4ab61500-55dd-4f80-bee0-0099e0dd00c5_16x

They even haul them around on diesel trucks. Electric weapons launcher? That's green.

Bernie

• Haha 1