1929 radiator replacment for 1930 engine

GC438R

I have a query, My 1929 Plymouth Sedan at some point had a 1930 engine dropped in it. The engine is different in that it has a water pump so my understanding is the rad is different as well.

The rad in it is apparently not repairable....will be going for a second opinion. If I am faced with replacement should I be going to a 1930 rad and will the grill fit?

Any help on this and or information on aftermarket rads and or a usable or rebuildable rad would also be appreciated.

The car is for enjoyment only so I am not worried  about having the exact rad but want it to look and perform well.

I'm in Alberta Canada, if I knew it was in good or repairable condition I would be more than happy to work something out. Pretty  much anything I source for my cars comes from out of the Country so I'm used to the shipping etc.  

Thanks

The rad shop I have it at does not seem to feel that can be done, truthfully I think they are just not interested in the work, that's why the second opinion.

It has the honeycomb core, I get a lot of different input online as to whether this can be done . Any ideas of who does this would be great.

Not sure if the 30 will fit.  Your car has the "ribbon" radiator shell that Chrysler Corporation made a styling icon in the late 20s.  The 30 had a wider radiator shell and that could cause problems.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GC438R said:

The rad shop I have it at does not seem to feel that can be done, truthfully I think they are just not interested in the work, that's why the second opinion.

It has the honeycomb core, I get a lot of different input online as to whether this can be done . Any ideas of who does this would be great.

The local shop did a modern recore on one of my '31 DB radiators. It was before I got the car, but I will bet that any radiator shop worth a nickel will do it. I would shop around.

• 3 weeks later...

Second opinion came back the same as the first, They were talking modern recore when I dropped it off but then just basically said it would be super expensive and they wouldn't do it.

There has to be an affordable option out there somewhere.

Any ideas? 

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:14 PM, Plyroadking said:

Where are you located? I've got a 29 radiator in the attic. Not sure on it"s condition though. I'm in Des Moines Iowa. 

My rad came back from the second shop today and I am being told it is not repairable. Are you interested at all in parting with your Rad?

I would be more than interested in striking up a deal and obviously covering crating and shipping.

I am not in a rush but would really like to put this part behind me and get my girl rolling again.

Thanks for considering....

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Still on the hunt for a radiator but have a better understanding of why they are hard to recore. It has to do with the barrel shape of the rad and that the top corners are angled. This means all the cooling strips have to be cut and soldered individually by hand. Most shops don't want to touch that kind of work and the one's that do ....hours add up quick so it becomes very expensive.

I have sourced a rad that is close but not right, this gets the car rolling though for a couple hundred dollars but will look wrong, filler on the side not top etc.....

I see rads that are claiming to fit online at Griffin Rads but they are getting up in the 600.00 range and I hate to drop that without being able to put my hands on them or have a recommendation from someone who used one.

Brassworks is the only shop I found who will do a recore and without seeing it about 1400 or a restore at about 2400.

I am going to get the cheaper rad in for now and spend some time looking for a replacement....there must be some out there and winter is coming so driving up here is almost over for the year, I have time.

Anyhow ....back to the shop.

The problem you're going to have is the radiator mounts to the frame in a certain way and the radiator shell attaches to the radiator.  Your hood will never line up correctly and it will be very difficult to mount the shell without the proper mounting area.  This will be especially hard with that thin strip radiator shell on your 29.  Spending even a few hundred dollars for the wrong radiator is a waste of money unless you plan to drive with no hood or shell, just the radiator.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still in radiator limbo, apparently the big hitch with this core is the fact that it is not square, it has rounded corners top and bottom and is wider in the center than top and bottom. 

I have quotes from Brassworks and am sure they would do a great job but it is going to cost almost as much as I paid for the car. 

I really want to see this on the road again rather than in a chop rod shop because of a radiator but cannot justify that expense for a rad.

I am ready to pull the motor for extensive cleaning of the engine bay plus motor, trans but obviously will not be going there without a rad solution. 

On 10/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, keiser31 said:

Have you looked for an original on the H.A.M.B.? 90% of the time, hot rodders use a new radiator and cast off the original.

I might have an option from a site member here but will keep that in mind .

Thanks