Hazdaz

New '64 Riviera owner with water in trunk.

Recommended Posts

Hazdaz    0

Bob, I've taken the taillights off before (for another issue) but never thought about the gasket issue.  I got rain in the forecast for tomorrow,  so I'll see if any water comes in.  I've already sealed the gasket around the trunk lid so I'm taking small steps and hopefully eliminating possible causes one at a time.  The taillight gasket is definitely one I'll look into.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2017 at 1:39 PM, Seafoam65 said:

                    I'm a big guy and i climb in trunks quite often to find water leaks at my shop on cars with much smaller trunks than 

your Riviera. Just climb in .....takes three minutes.......Git R Done as Larry the Cable Guy would say.

Seafoam, I agree. Although sometimes if you HAVE a person handy and willing to help I take that route. I'm big and when I had to crawl on the floorboard to reach the fuse block on my 63 I was cramped, but I got 'er done!

Red Riviera Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2017 at 10:26 PM, Hazdaz said:

Bob, I've taken the taillights off before (for another issue) but never thought about the gasket issue.  I got rain in the forecast for tomorrow,  so I'll see if any water comes in.  I've already sealed the gasket around the trunk lid so I'm taking small steps and hopefully eliminating possible causes one at a time.  The taillight gasket is definitely one I'll look into.  Thanks.

Hazdaz, did you get the rain you expected and see if it was leaking around the tail lights? No joke, you need a tight seal around the tail light area  to keep the water out on the 63 dechromed or not.

Red Riviera Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jsgun    29

I had forgotten I tested for water leaks around the tail lights this past spring. Just the other day, I had found wadded up paper towels under the tail lights with obvious signs they had been wet. Looks like new tail light gaskets are in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2017 at 10:18 AM, Seafoam65 said:

                           I never wash my old cars........I dust them off with a duster after every use or wipe them down with a damp microtowel if needed,

but I would never run a water hose on any of them. My Riviera has had this treatment since 1967......thus no rust ever. And of course I don't drive them in the rain or let them sit out in the rain. That's what late model Beaters are for!

Mr Seafoam, excellent idea you've provided regarding dusting off the car and wiping down with a damp microtowel. I'm an old dog, but new at the Best way to take of my 1963 Red Riviera. What you say makes plenty good sense.

Red Riviera Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2017 at 9:19 PM, jsgun said:

I had forgotten I tested for water leaks around the tail lights this past spring. Just the other day, I had found wadded up paper towels under the tail lights with obvious signs they had been wet. Looks like new tail light gaskets are in order.

Steve, as a heads up there is another gasket that goes around the lenses that seats inside the tail light mount holder. So, you have two sets of gaskets you need.

I got mine from one of the big suppliers of Riviera parts- oh, it was Clarks Corvair who were tiny bit less expensive than the other guys, but not by much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hazdaz    0

Bob, I took out the taillights and the gaskets look very good actually.  Still, I siliconed up a bead around the mating surfaces on the housing so that should be sealed up no problem.  (I let the silicone mostly dry before I reassembled everything so it's essentially acting as a gasket that should come off fairly easily if I need to).  

 

I didn't seal the lens yet though.  That's tomorrow's project.  But we did get some nasty torrential rain the other day and some water came in, but not  as much as before.  I'm thinking there might be multiple small leak and the steps I've done have eliminated at least one or two of them.

 

I was also busy last night and tore apart the interior pieces of the car (minus the seats) and took out the rear shelf.  There was some surface rust on the back shelf but nothing terrible.  I sprayed that down already with Rust-Oleum and will see how that looks tonight.  Because all the trim around the inside of the rear window was removed I could see that it doesn't look like water is coming in from there.  At least not into the cabin.  The gasket around the glass looked very good and intact.  

 

Before I reassembled the interior, I want to remove the exterior trim around the window but I couldn't find the steps of how to safely remove them in my body shop manual.  Maybe I missed it.  

 

The search goes on,but as always I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.

IMG_20170806_174328027.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2017 at 6:00 AM, Hazdaz said:

Hey guys, I've only had my '64 for a few weeks and I love it, but I have a few issues I'm trying to solve.  One of them is that I am getting water in the trunk and I'm not quite sure how it's getting in there.  

 

We had a rain storm yesterday and before it started, I threw a bunch of newspaper in there so I could narrow down where the water might be coming from.  I had pretty much the entire perimeter covered with newsprint.  Was thinking maybe the seal around the trunk lid.  Maybe from the rear glass area.  After the storm, I popped the trunk and none of the newsprint were wet, but I still had some water on the bottom of the trunk.  

 

Now I'm kind of at a loss as to where it might be coming from because I was really expecting to see at least some of these newsprint to be wet.  Is there a "known" place that these cars leak from?  Any past experience?  I'd love to hear some suggestions.

 

Thanks for reading.

 

On 7/27/2017 at 10:35 AM, RivNut said:

Reminds me of friends and trunks.  Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car. Wait an hour and let them out.  See who's most glad to see you.

The joke among others , " You put your Mother In Law in the trunk, but never your guitar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hazdaz    0

So guys, is there anything behind the striped trim behind the rear window trim?  (See pic below)

 

I got the rear window trim off and inspecting the gasket around the glass but I'd also like to make sure there are no holes underneath that trim.  I tried lightly shoving a screwdriver underneath and it really didn't seem to move easily.  I was also in the trunk earlier and I don't recall seeing any screws that might have been from the inside holding that trim piece on.

 

How is it held in place and what is below it?  Inquiring minds would love to know.

IMG_20170809_195412502_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Held on with 5  speed nuts. Go back in the trunk and look up  for access holes. put a good seal around the studs and holes in the body to seal the trunk penetrations. I have to put this one back on when i finish the cut and buff of the paint . Good luck !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2017 at 0:29 PM, Hazdaz said:

Bob, I took out the taillights and the gaskets look very good actually.  Still, I siliconed up a bead around the mating surfaces on the housing so that should be sealed up no problem.  (I let the silicone mostly dry before I reassembled everything so it's essentially acting as a gasket that should come off fairly easily if I need to).  

 

I didn't seal the lens yet though.  That's tomorrow's project.  But we did get some nasty torrential rain the other day and some water came in, but not  as much as before.  I'm thinking there might be multiple small leak and the steps I've done have eliminated at least one or two of them.

 

I was also busy last night and tore apart the interior pieces of the car (minus the seats) and took out the rear shelf.  There was some surface rust on the back shelf but nothing terrible.  I sprayed that down already with Rust-Oleum and will see how that looks tonight.  Because all the trim around the inside of the rear window was removed I could see that it doesn't look like water is coming in from there.  At least not into the cabin.  The gasket around the glass looked very good and intact.  

 

Before I reassembled the interior, I want to remove the exterior trim around the window but I couldn't find the steps of how to safely remove them in my body shop manual.  Maybe I missed it.  

 

The search goes on,but as always I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.

IMG_20170806_174328027.jpg

Do you have the official GM 63 Buick Body Shop manual? That particular manual is the real deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hazdaz    0

I do have the Body Shop manual, actually.  I had missed the section which had info about that bottom trim and only found it after I already took them off.

 

I need to get the powertrain repair manual next.

 

I re-chaulked the rear window per what the manual showed, so I'll be reinstalling the trim tonight, I hope.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hazdaz    0

Wow.  I really thought I had this problem solved.  Or at least narrowed down to one major leak area.

 

Nope.

 

So I had limited time to try this but I had previously siliconed up the perimeter of the rear glass.  Came home and hit the rear half of the car with the hose, popped the trunk lid and there was water in the trunk.  

 

Ok, so I took some masking tape and taped the perimeter around the glass (the area I siliconed) and hit it with the hose again.  Popped the trunk lid and again there was water.  

 

Taped the side chrome trim pieces (right over the rear fender hips).  Hit it with the hose again, and once again water.

 

Taped up around the trunk lid seam, and wouldn't you know it, once again, water in the trunk.  

 

So while the trunk lid, rear window and/or the side chrome trim might be letting in some amount of water, there is still some other larger leak.

 

Now I know a little bit of water is coming in from the taillights, but this water is in toward the middle and rear of the trunk so I'm not counting any taillight leaks.

 

I'm seriously floored right now.

 

IMG_20170811_204119675.jpg

IMG_20170811_204109053.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smithbrother    496

Open the trunk lid, tape a paper towel between the hinged area, overlapping the panel behind the glass, and to the trunk lid.  close and run water, see it it absorbs the water. 

 

Dale in Indy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now