Bring A Trailer auction site

ols car dog

Ive looked at that site a few times and think i would be scared to list a car there. The guys who comment there are pretty tough on the cars much worse then here. You always get one or two experts picking the cars apart. I would think that would kill any sale. I dont know if they edit the posts but listing a car and having some unknown person tell the world what is wrong with it (according to him anyway) seems like a great way to not sell a car.

I have a friend who sold a car on there which did better then he expected. The key seems to be representing the car accurately and in great detail. It also seems to be a place that unusual cars (low milage, limited production, etc.) do well. I wouldn't use it if I was trying to sell a car that is fairly common with nothing distinguishing it from others of the same make/year.

The site is more then auctions, though the auctions are where the majority of interest is. On the home page, you'll still find links to other listing on eBay, craigslist and the like. 

I've bid on car there, but never won.

One last thought; we talk alot about getting young people in the hobby. Well IMO, that's were they're looking, more then Hemmings.

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

Like Buick64C I have also unsuccessfully bid and am a regular viewer.  They have a good selection of the more sporting post war cars and now and then vintage oriented racing car's . In fact although I am definitely a "brass era " guy I am also very interested in the cheap end of the vintage racing spectrum, and the only car I am actively looking for would be a lower level purpose built "club racer " Lola , Elva, Lotus etc.

Definitely I consider it a site to watch.  Some of the comments are a bit harsh, but if the car is as represented not overly so. And many of the commenters seem to have quite in depth knowledge.  But yes there are a few cranks, something even the esteemed AACA site is not completely without.

A pretty good percentage of the auction cars do sell , often for a very reasonable return, and their fees and format seem to be better than the bay.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

A '38 Buick closed on BAT today (http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1938-buick-46s/) and I'd say the seller got about all the money the car could bring. And, if you look at the comments, you'll see most of them were supportive of the car being desirable. IMO, if you post a very good car on BAT and document it well, you will be rewarded. 

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

It's a great site overall, but as mentioned, you have to come correct. Any sign of trickery, masking an issue, or even not enough photos of a specific portion will get you slammed by the commentariat. Show every flaw. On the flip side, the true aficionados tend to regulate the more wild folks, and you can flag comments there as "not constructive." The auctions used to be almost exclusively rare and desirable, tho not necessarily expensive, cars. Think Maserati Biturbo.

It's actually a very useful place to gain knowledge, which is one of my primary uses of the site, as there is always someone, or six, who are marque or model experts. I also chime in with info if I can assist whenever there is a MB W111/112 coupe or cabriolet as that's my specialty. I have a few buddies who sell there and the transactions have always been painless according to them. I think it's only $99 to list and the winning bidder pays $250-5,000 dependent on the final sale price.