Where to Buy a New Stock Style/height (non-dropped) Model A Front Axle?

Guest KenCarGuy

Guest KenCarGuy

I am about to rebuild the front suspension on my 1929 Model Rumble Seat Sport Coupe in hopes of ending a bad shimmy problem.  A friend suggested that I start the project by buying a new stock front axle, however, after searching for some time, I have not been able to find  a new production stock height front axle.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ken

Guest KenCarGuy

Thanks Terry- This shake is so bad and comes on even at low speeds, that I have to completely stop the car to end the shake.  I believe the front end needs many parts replaced , and I figured I would start with the axle, but I can't find one that is not dropped.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ken

I think that you would find if you properly repaired the spindles, tie rod ends, brakes and wheel brgs that the shimmy should stop. Sometimes the tires will cause shimmy but rarely will and axle itself fail.

I would first try to understand what (if anything) is wrong with the old axle before looking for a replacement.  I think the two most likely issues would be either that it is bent, or that the kingpin holes are worn oversize.  Both of these are easy to check.  I agree with the post above that the axle may not be the cause.  I would first look at kingpin and bushings, tie rod ends, and drag link ends.  Also check wheels and tires for trueness and roundness.  I would expect these to be more likely sources of the problem.  Good luck!  Let us know what you find.

Guest KenCarGuy

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.  I was operating under the premise that if the front end shake was so bad that it happens as slow as 15-20 mph after driving over a small rut or pock in the road- causing me to have to completely stop the car before I could proceed, that I should probably start by loking to replace everything under the frontend.  I will look at the other components first, to see if there is obvious wear, damage or travel that could be causing this unsafe issue.  I will post what I find.

Thanks again for your input!

Ken

FLorence Rt.Side-1.JPG

Another problem that can cause shimmy is a loose connection of the radius rod and engine. Even if you cannot physically move it by hand it still could be loose which would cause the axle to shift around. A badly worn steering sector can also be a cause.

You may not need to buy anything. Model A issues are as closely held as politics and religion. Just sort through and pick those that make the most sense to you.  I got my first A in 1964.  I still put 8-10,000 miles per year on my favorite.  That means wear. The most common area to correct for the problem you describe is the wishbone.  That means the spring perch needs to be tight--not just tight but really tight. I f you see rust residue, it probably isn't tight enough. Look where the ball mounts to the bell housing.  Pull it apart and check for wear in the ball. If isn't round, use a cup washer easily sourced from any of the A suppliers. The nuts should go tight on the spacers inside the springs. You should have good shocks on the front.  Someone mentioned the steering gear and it should also be properly adjusted. Once you think your front end is in proper order, find a shop that specializes in solid axles.  Many over-the road trucks still use solid axles, similar to the A, but larger. For the price of a tire you can get a great alignment and double tire life, far better than measuring the toe-in. Hope this helps!

Guest KenCarGuy

Again- Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.  I welcome any additional information!  I certainly have a lot to look at before I even think about looking for an axle.

Thanks to everyone!

Ken

KenCarGuy

IMG_6157.JPG