38 studebaker state commader questions

hi all,

I'm new to this site and to being a Studebaker owner, I am known mostly as a GTO collector over the years {hence my username} anyways my questions are this car is a 4dr state commander with only 55k actual miles. how unusual is this car, is there many left around, I never seem to see any on websites or museums. this is a one owner car and was always garage kept, no rust anywhere and the more i work to freshen it up the nicer it becomes.

2nd question is this car has suicide doors and the drivers rear door shuts fine but sticks out well above the front door, i cannot find any adjustments to it, is the latch weak and needs a new one?

thanks for any help, and i hope to get a lot more help as my "restoration" goes forward, this is so much different than I'm used to i am going to learn a lot.

thx

goatboy

stud2.JPEG

hi goat boy...nice looking car!    On your door....so what you mean is the rear door needs to "shut" just a bit more to be flush with the front  door?

Make sure the rotary piece in the door  latch is in good shape and operates good.   I am dealing with a worn rotary latch on my front door and it has an effect on the door closing completely and latching.   The striker plate should have some adjustment.  Also, on the striker plate is a spring loaded "hook".   ...I just replaced the striker on the rear door  because the spring was broken....and it works quite well now.    

Now, another problem I had was on the same rear door , the front of it was "higher" that the front door.  it was as if the front of the rear door needed to be lowered.  Is this what you might be referring too?   To do this, I removed the top hinge and bent it forward...this kicked the front of the door down.  This was  a bit harder to do.     

some pics will better show us what you are talking about.  

Like you, I never see '39 commanders at any car shows I attend...but I am seeing owners here on this site, so I know they are around.   good luck  

Hi Goatboy. Is yours a 38 or 39?  I've been told there are fewer than 400 surviving and as few as 10 actually running. I think those numbers are low especially for the running number but any number is a best guess. Three of us have been somewhat active on this site recently 'fh4ever' ,' pastor Matt ' from NC and myself in KY. I'm sure there are others as well. 

Matt is in process of finishing his rebuild and it looks great. Not sure how far along Fh4ever is and mine has had engine/trans rebuild, all breaks and wiring replaced along with windshield and all rubber seals. Original paint buffed out. I've been redoing interior- very amateur  job but it is serviceable for a daily driver. Mine has75,000 on it. I've taken it on a few 250-300mile trips and actually drove it on the Indy 500 track last year. 

Post more pics and where are you located? 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

You will probably find my article from the June 2010 issue of Collectible Automobile of interest. Approx 4000 words with 40 photos. You can generally find issue available on Ebay. One of my many original factory publicity photos attached. can supply lots of data if interested.

38 showroom.jpg

thanks all for the responses, 1st its a 1938 state commander and yes it has the helmet headlights.

fh4evr the door is actually sticking out farther than the front door which shuts nicely, but before I do too much I need to put in new door seals.

the latch seems to be ok, but the spring might be weak as you say, that would explain why it doesn't go farther shut and hold.

I will try and post more pics soon, this car is amazing to me the condition its in after these years and years of storage, I got it out of a garage in Denver and is a one owner owned by a man I knew as "grandpa" . I used to ride in this car as a kid and loved it for at least 47 yrs, when I got the call to come get it I was floored, it was a dream come true !

so far getting it running again has been pretty easy, the usual changing of fluids and hoses etc, the brakes were a little more work but after kitting all the cylinders they work great. as for the paint it is cleaning up perfect, I think it was painted in the 70's and the paint is buffing up nicely after a sanding. this car from what I can tell is actual 55000 miles and had been maintained up until 1987, I even found the new car delivery checklist in the glovebox !

anyone have an idea where to get an new door latch to replace my bad one? 

I'm gonna try to post some more pics tonite, hope they all work. thanks again for the responses and I hope to be on the site a lot as there is a lot to learn about "hazel" that's our name for her after the former owner.

thx

goatboy

IMG_7349.thumb.JPG.bd7005481cca5481bfcce0c133dc2af4.JPG 

Attached is my 1938 Coupe as it came home from the shop last October.  With only two doors I don't have to worry about the rear doors sticking out, but I would guess that your striker plate is out of adjustment.  Stickers and door latches are available new from Most vendors or some of us have used available.  Mr Quinn has some reproduced the hub caps and has them as well as lots of literature.  I'm looking at having some of the promo items that were used at introduction reproduced but we will have to see how the costs run.  The Shrock brothers have reproduced lots of rubber items ( like the running boards ). It 

Edited by Cowtown Commander (see edit history)

Thanks for the compliment on our Coupe, it was a 7A model with the standard headlamp and fenders but during restoration we installed the 8A "State" model cathedral headlamp and fenders.  Our car had what looks like the same turn signal as SC38DLS added to the front fender when we got it. With the fender change and the addition of the fog lamps, which we use as turn signals, we didn't need them.  Seeing them on SC38DLS car makes me wish I'd saved them for spares for others but I tossed them as I didn't think anyone else would have use for them

those are both beautiful cars, hope mine looks this good when finished "refreshing" it. 

going to start buffing the rest of her tonite, so far the paint looks to be sanding out nicely and should buff up real shiny.

i restored cars for 34 yrs retiring a few years ago from doing it for others and doing one for myself is a lot funner.

Goatboy

If you have been restoring cars that long I will bet yours will look a lot better than mine. The laquer paint on my right front fender is just about gone and it was repainted on the rear fender below the gas filler with the wrong type of paint.  Gas spills will remove the old paint in a few minutes. A clear coat in that area will save a lot of hassle.  Have fun - post more pics as you go,  

StudeQ

That is a beautiful pickup.  I don't know a lot about these pickups (or the cars for that matter) and I am curious if they came with the hooded light or did you add them?  It looks original so I'm thinking it was the model - Coupe Express - that had them.  

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

The cathedral style headlights were standard on all Presidents and State Commanders and special order on the Coupe Express. My truck did not have them when I got it but I installed them. Still think you would be smart to buy the June 2010 issue of Collectible Automobile. Believe I may have an extra copy if interested.

Let me check on the magazine. We downsized the house and I packed a lot of things away. When I bought the car I was told about a couple of articles I should read and I think that is one of them. I will get back to you asap. Thanks Dave S 

I love the parking lights on the coupe express. You did a beautiful job putting the headlights and the parking lights on it.  I found a set of the parking lights but the guy decided not to sell them after he gave me a price of $900. 

I do have the article - not the complete magazine but a copy of the article so thank you for the offer but I'll pass.  Dls