Towing Trailers With '50's Buick's, Who's Done It

MrEarl

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

117 posts and I had not seen Infiniti mentioned.

That could be a great song in the Kingston Trio style. "He will ride forever on the border of Georgia, he's the man who never returned."

His Wife runs along side and hands him a sandwich on the long uphill draw just north of Savannah.

Showing my age....

Just thinkin', that's the old MTA song. Maybe the new one could be the Man with Trailer Algorithm .

Going to Savannah this weekend Bernie, how north of Savannah is that uphill draw you speak of?  Sure some will be glad this thread will get some rest. Know the song well Bernie but dang it, it will probably be stuck in my head for the rest of the day I bet!!

27 minutes ago, 56BuickSuper said:

What trailer are you considering, just asking.

Still considering the 2015 Shasta Airflyte 16 Dan. I think it is a bit overpriced for what you get.  But have been looking at a lot of true 50's/60's vintage ones and like the floor plans of some of them better. Weight is the biggest concern of all of them.

Doesn't that get you, when a person gets a song stuck in your head.

I made a few trips down to Savannah when I was stationed at the Navy base in Charleston, SC. I'm pretty sure I remember it. We were always heading out for places where we hoped to find girls a little dumber than sailors. Even if we got close a couple beers would put us back on the minus side.

• Haha 1

Guest 56BuickSuper

Lamar,

I understand about the weight issues, but the shasta does not have a bed, you have to convert the dinette.  The wet bath is also very small. Have you been in one yet?

I am in no way trying to discourage you, and I have an idea of what you are going for.  Have you considered a teardrop type.  Thr R pod rp-171 weighs 2342, and has a bed.  For an additional 300 lbs the rp-180 has a bigger dry bath.  http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=173&ShowParent=1&ModelID=1945#Main

Both the Shasta and R pods are made by Forrest River, the Airflyte is no longer made.  

Whatever you decide, I am rooting for you.

30 minutes ago, 56BuickSuper said:

Whatever you decide, I am rooting for you.

Thanks Dan, appreciate that. Looked at the two you suggested. Amazing how they get so much in the rp-171 relative to the weight. Pretty luxurious looking. I'm a bit more into the vintage look and feel I think. Rita though, I'm afraid to show her these models. I guess I could always have one repainted and with a sweepspear on the side. LOL  Just curious, do you know whats the price tag on say a base rp-171.

10 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I've always wished they would implement a law that required drivers to turn on their turn signal before passing, leaving it on while in the passing lane and NOT  turn it off until AFTER returning to the travel lane.

Mr. Earl, such a scenario about drivers using turn signals normally happens when AGE happens, especially OLDER age.  Too bad car turn signals don't have a timer on them, sometimes.

In TX, we DO "drive friendly", or did at least until the population was diluted from those from northeastern locales  They brought their rusty cars and drivin' habits with them.

Currently, if you're running 70mph on the Interstate, you'll be passed by some running 75mph, AND a few "hurried ones" who feel the need to run 80mph.  Tell me how an enhanced Buttercup and trailer would handle that sort of traffic?  Then filter-in the many $80K raised-up 4wd HD2500s and duallys with their knobby tires, usually driven by testosterone-raging males that are up to their nose in debt.  It CAN get crazy.  Then put a "cruise control" person at the legal posted speed in the middle lane and then the lane changing gets good!  Even with a slower vehicle in the correct rh lane, there's still lots of lane changing that complicates the safest homogenous traffic flow!  Perhaps things are different in your neck of the woods?

In TX, there are SEVEN approved uses of a roadway's "improved shoulder".  ONE of which is slower traffic moving over so faster traffic can pass.

Happy trailerin"!

NTX5467

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

Currently, if you're running 70mph on the Interstate, you'll be passed by some running 75mph, AND a few "hurried ones" who feel the need to run 80mph.  Tell me how an enhanced Buttercup and trailer would handle that sort of traffic? 

Perhaps with one of these signs...

image.jpeg

During the infrequent times I'll be on interstates and then unless I am on a steep grade that I will likely be sharing with slow moving tractor trailers, I think Buttercup will be able to maintain a safe 60 mph. 

• Like 2

Guest 56BuickSuper

Here is a new one in Lexington SC for 14,995  https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/John's-RV-Sales-%26-Service-734360/listing/2018-Forest-River-R-Pod-RP-171-121950167

There is a dealer in Atlanta http://www.threewaycampers.com/  and one in Byron http://www.midstaterv.com/

Don't be afraid of what Sweet Rita thinks, The more she likes it the more both of you will enjoy it.  Some other points to consider, it is new, local dealer for service (and it will need service), built on levelers.  You should at least take the time to see one in person, you may be surprised.

And a respray with a sweep spear would be Awesome! 

Edited by 56BuickSuper (see edit history)

FYI, this is one of Dad's old tow rigs.  He hauled a trailer from Milwaukee to Denver, Denver to St. Pete, up to PA, and back to St. Pete with this.

About the only Buick he ever had that he said he was glad to get rid of.  I have no idea about the cage in the back.  Might have something to do with the kid. ;)

1957-Buick-Cabellaro.jpg.979e6136000a753bc1c6e2738ed88d27.jpg.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

Too bad car turn signals don't have a timer on them, sometimes.

Guess what that lever behind the steering wheel at 10 o"clock does.

rolls-royce_silver_cloud_drophead_coupe_

The timer is set up to be exactly 1/3 the duration of a traffic signal.

"Mr. Lucas, I'm sorry, this is not an electrical component."

"But, I would just like to make a suggestion."

Bernie

• Haha 1

Speaking of folks getting upset should you drive 50-55 MPH pulling a trailer reminds me of a promotion SHELL gad stations had in the late 40's.

WIth a fill up, they gave you a stamped steel Yellow Sea shell.  It was made to slip under your lic. plate, and painted on it was 3-nautical flags.  They signaled SHARE THE ROAD.  Us kids installed them on our bikes under the axle nuts, made a neat look.

I have a NOS piece, wonder how many of you have one, or remember the promotion?  The piece is steel, 3-D, 3" wide X 3-1/2" tall. 

I don't know how to post pic's from iPad, so will send to FITTY FO, he can decide if worth posting.

Dale in Indy

Rather than a "re-spray", find a place that does "wraps" and you can design your own "wrap" for the trailer, including a very dramatic Sweep Spear, to match the one on Buttercup.  Add some matching wheel covers and it'll all be good!  Points for style and coordination?  

With the wrap, when you decide to trade the trailer, it can be removed if it hasn't been on for more than about 36 months.

NTX5467

• Like 1

Guest 56BuickSuper

Here is a new one in Lexington SC for 14,995  https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/John's-RV-Sales-%26-Service-734360/listing/2018-Forest-River-R-Pod-RP-171-121950167

There is a dealer in Atlanta http://www.threewaycampers.com/  and one in Byron http://www.midstaterv.com/

And a respray with a sweep spear would be Awesome! 

Somehow this never posted last week.

Or perhaps a Casita (with Sweep Spear Wrap) is in you future.  Thing is they have no dealers and are made in Texas, Right now there is a 8 - 9  month wait if you order one, nut they are quality.

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/

Dan

Gads…. 5 pages and you all still jawing about pulling a trailer behind a Buick … just strap the girl up to one and go for God's sake … that's all the advice you need …  now go get on it  so I can get back to reading about 1955 Buick turn signal and power steering mysteries ….   :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I think it`s great that someone look further behind the rearbumper, and restore some classic old trailers as well. So - just go ahead and start reading Buick trailer topics and factory brochures, interesting reading! 

PS! As long as you don`t end up like this guy.......

1957 Roadmaster with Trailer.jpg

Edited by Topper1961 (see edit history)

On September 10, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Topper1961 said:

Personally I think it`s great that someone look further behind the rearbumper, and restore some classic old trailers as well. So - just go ahead and start reading Buick trailer topics and factory brochures, interesting reading! 

PS! As long as you don`t end up like this guy.......

,,, yeah well at least he has the correct size factory white walls …. :blink:

On September 10, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Topper1961 said:

1957 Roadmaster with Trailer.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have a 55 century and live in Colorado. Never pulled a trailer,but at 9000 ft the car will run a steady 70 mph. I usually past the new cars.

The car has 51000 miles on it and the engine is untouched except for a 650  cfm carb and  custom 60,000 volt ignition system.

The car gets 15 mpg in town and 25 on the highway running AC  at 75 mph.

buckeye 2

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, buckeye2 said:

I have a 55 century and live in Colorado. Never pulled a trailer,but at 9000 ft the car will run a steady 70 mph. I usually past the new cars.

The car has 51000 miles on it and the engine is untouched except for a 650  cfm carb and  custom 60,000 volt ignition system.

buckeye 2

If true, that engine and car needs to be reverse engineered.  Modern 2-ton cars with overdrive, lockup torque converters, fuel injection ( all computer controlled) with 4-6-8 cylinder engines struggle to perform like that.

• Like 1

The car has not been restored. i'm a retired G.M.Engineer age 84. I can assure you the car does preform as I stated.

As for the gentleman from N.Y. your a flat lander and probably not familiar with our mountains. Just follow a Colorado driver and you will see 70 mph   + in the mountains.

P.S. The car has been clocked at over 120 mph.I have the ticket and jail time to prove it. 30 days and $ 500.00

buckeye 2

• Like 2

Would love to see you and the 55 Century at the BCA nationals in Denver this coming July buckeye 2 

Curious,  you mentioned the car had AC, is that factory? 

Please consider introducing yourself formally in the introduction thread above and also posting about that hot rod Century  and highspeed chase you mention in the Me and My Buick forum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, buckeye2 said:

As for the gentleman from N.Y. your a flat lander and probably not familiar with our mountains. Just follow a Colorado driver and you will see 70 mph   + in the mountains.

LOL...  You are correct sir,  I have never been to Colorado.  But I have been to Klamath Falls, OR, to Portland, Or, over Rt 50 to Lake Tahoe, Highway 15 from Salt Lake City to Idaho, through Yellowstone Park, and over several mountains to Mt Rushmore.  Can't wait to get to travel the mountains in Colorado.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

buckeye 2

The AC IS NOT FACTORY, THE ORIGINAL WAS WAY to ugly, it is after market.

I will be at the nationals.

By the way I forgot to mention that i'm running 270 gears.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2017 at 9:19 AM, buckeye2 said:

buckeye 2

9 hours ago, buckeye2 said:

The car has not been restored. i'm a retired G.M.Engineer age 84. I can assure you the car does preform as I stated.

P.S. The car has been clocked at over 120 mph.I have the ticket and jail time to prove it. 30 days and $ 500.00

buckeye 2

1 hour ago, buckeye2 said:

The AC IS NOT FACTORY, THE ORIGINAL WAS WAY to ugly, it is after market.

I will be at the nationals.

By the way I forgot to mention that i'm running 270 gears.

Anything else you forgot to mention?  Like the rest of the drivetrain....

(Wasn't that car built when all of those "special carburetors" were floating around, with a few sneaking out to the assembly line????)

120mph in that vintage of Buick.  Must 'uv been "hitting the high spots" at that speed.  Expensive "re-entry" expense.

NTX5467

buckeye 2

In 1955 Buick rated the top speed of this car at 104 mph. and that was with a standard gear ratio and stock ignition without fine tuning.

P.S. I know because I was working for them at that time..

• Like 1

Here's a 54 Roadmaster that has evidently pulled a trailer of some sort in it's life

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6333400633.html

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Selling my Buick Roadmaster this car is awesome. Original power windows and power seats. That work! This call has all the add ons from the factory including the factory tow hitch with the chrome cover rear airbags for towing and front dagmires the paint is in good condition and the engine runs extremely clean and smooth. No mechanical problems at all. Car is all original and would make a really cool daily driver. Please let me know if you are interested. The car is currently at my mom's house in Boise but I am happy to drive it up to shoreline where I live if there is enough interest please let me know if you have any questions. 

No flakes or tire kickers and no payment plans. For serious buyers only

• Like 1