Carlisle Shootout Success

Nile

At the Carlisle Chrysler Show they hold a "Real Street Shootout" - 20 cars, all in one class, anything allowed except racing tires.  For the last 3 years a very well prepared & driven Charger has won.  The field included a lot of "hard core" autocrossers in old & new, front & rear drivers.  Looks like I made the right tire & wheel selection (RE71R Bridgestone Potenzas on 16x7 American Racing wheels).  I've also got to credit the weatherman.  Since it started to rain midway thru our first runs, they were not counted.  So, the rain is pouring down, the wipers are on full, the top is stowed under tonneau where it belongs, the gas pedal is mashed to floor, the engine is screaming toward redline in 2nd gear and I'm thinking, "Life is good!"  My best qualifying run was a 76.6, the next fastest time was in the 80's.  The old & new rear drivers couldn't put their power down.  I've not only got more power (Thanks to Rick D) than the fwd contingent, I can get it to the pavement.  It was one of, if not the most satisfying win I've ever had.  My TC is now the picture car on the 2018 Carlisle Chrysler Shootout web page, too.  Here is a link to some pictures from the Carlisle Flickr album - I'm on pages 9 & 11.  -  Nile  

• Like 2

Congratulations! I bet you had a blast! Just out of curiosity what do you have for suspension? I have Sachs touring shocks/struts with suspension techniques 1" lowering springs for a daytona. Car seems to handle great and comfortable with much less body roll. You can pm me with info to not get off topic on your post. Congratulations again! Car looks awesome in those turns!

Thanks so much!  Not only is my suspension stock, it's original.  I do have 1 degree negative camber and the RE71R's on 16x7 wheels are simply incredible.  I'm thinking of going to urethane mounts & sway bar bushings.  I had looked into getting new struts/shocks but couldn't find anything performance oriented - sounds like you may have found the hot set up.  Could you share part numbers, etc as I'm definitely interested in upgrading.

• Like 1

After the event I used some Leatherique and the leather seems fine.  It's probably psychological, but since I do go faster with the top down, the top comes down regardless of conditions.  One of my prep strategies is to get the car as ready as it can possibly be before the event and then only deal with things that can make me faster during the event.

• 10 months later...

Looks like the Carlisle website is incorrect and I came in second in the Shootout.  There was a very well driven Neon on racing slicks who was .1 second faster than me.  In the past slicks had either been disallowed or penalized 2 seconds.  That didn't happen in 2017.  I'm a little embarassed about this.  Looks like the slicks will not be allowed in 2018.  At any rate I'm highly motivated for 2018 (and doin my rain dance).

• Like 2