Nice 63 - Critiques

JZRIV

It looks clean and complete, and nicely optioned.  The air cleaner orientation is wrong, but ......

It's a very early production model - plain dash (no ribbed aluminum), spare on trunk floor, and a 120 mph speedometer) 

I do question the black carpet, console, etc with blue paint.  My black 63 has black paint with white leather and black carpets which I would expect.  Just seems odd, not saying for sure it's wrong, just odd.  What does the data plate read?  

And what's with the funky compass on the dash?

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

22 hours ago, RivNut said:

It looks clean and complete, and nicely optioned.  The air cleaner orientation is wrong, but ......

It's a very early production model - plain dash (no ribbed aluminum), spare on trunk floor, and a 120 mph speedometer) 

I do question the black carpet, console, etc with blue paint.  My black 63 has black paint with white leather and black carpets which I would expect.  Just seems odd, not saying for sure it's wrong, just odd.  What does the data plate read?  

Ed

The 1963 Buick Color Trim Book lists white as one of the possible deluxe interior color options with what I am guessing is Marlin Blue exterior color. It shows that the white interior came with a white headliner, black carpet, black upper instrument panel, black steering wheel and black pedals. So am assuming console would be black as well. 

Bill

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

A nicely optioned car for sure and an unusual color combo.  I did notice that the under hood insulation is missing but the replacement kits are available at a reasonable cost and would take you less than an hour to replace.  The trunk looks original and although the lining is stained, there is a plus for originality these days.  If the car shows as well in person as it does in the pictures, I don't think the asking price is unreasonable.

At least they are the correct silver, not Buick green or red. Needs a trunk seal. No photos of the door seals. Also, one of the chrome rings is missing from the 2:00 position on the steering wheel. These are available for Impala wheels from the aftermarket, but not sure they are the same as the Riviera wheel. Pretty car. Well optioned.

Compass is an original Buick accessory. Mine also came with one but it was not attractive so I sold it. 

Ditto to everything said, looks clean and well optioned early example. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

6 hours ago, Black River said:

I believe the vacuum canister should not have the dent being an early production model.  Mine is smooth......Look at me, talking originality!

The dimple appeared around FB number 4000, 3rd week of October, so it could be "early" and still have the dimple.

The A/C muffler appeared around the same time (FB4000).

The 140 MPH speedometer did not appear until around FB 6000, or 1st week of November.  Still kind of early.

The ribbed dash came out in late-November, around FB 10,000.

I hope this helps everyone understand how the various changes rolled out.

46 minutes ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People: It's on the eBay now......in New York. A friend of a friend owns it and these guys know quality. Mitch.

Can you provide an auction number?  I could not find it.

I`m not familiar with the exact cutoff dates for the `63 running changes but there do appear to be some inconsistencies...anyone notice the air cleaner lid says "465"? 

There are some very nice original features like the original trunk lining, although stained, no original inflation sticker and the ratty weatherstrip, and the original dash mounted compass (VERY RARE) and the correct `63 chrome belt buckles, very unusual to see.

Black carpeting is correct for a `63 white interior as well as `64, changed to dark charcoal for `65.

As Winston points out the first place I look when evaluating a first gen Riv is the undercarriage but the top side looks very, very straight...or as straight as one can tell from pics.

Price seams reasonable for such a well equipped car with some improvements necessary to bring the car to the next level...nice car,

Tom

5 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Compass is an original Buick accessory. Mine also came with one but it was not attractive so I sold it. 

Ditto to everything said, looks clean and well optioned early example. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

Rodney,

Not attractive? George Barris didnt think so! Check out Villa Riviera....I personally LOVE the look of this accessory. I have only had my hands on one NOS one in almost 40 years of collecting Buick parts, one year only accessory! GM also made a dash top tach which was very similar in appearance in the same time frame. If the fellow who purchased your compass would like to pass it on please dont hesitate to drop me a line!

Tom

Yes, realised after I traded it for some other bits that maybe it was not common. But it did irk me somewhat when I first drove my Riviera, brain saying "it's got to go" I might have got used to it, but because we are RHD in Australia, You felt like you were always looking over it.

Thats my excuse, and I'm sticking with it, and I made someone's day when we did the trade. Besides, I can always go back to the photos if I really miss it ?????????

I have been called arrogant for quite a few things as the years have rolled by and in this instance, I really don't care for a car from a person who doesn't have the attention to detail to spell the words in their ad correctly. I would just move on.. Repaint, odd color combination, and, what I think is the wrong color headliner, are other things that detract from a kind of boring car.

Cars really do tend to carry the karma of the previous owner. I have one now that is a nice enough car, but makes me feel like washing during and after I drive it. A sleazy car salesman owned it before me.

On the spelling thing, a couple of years ago I decided to stop searching "convertable" on line, simply because I don't want that person's car. I am just like that. I know the most common term. And I'm smiling while I write this.

There is critique and opinion all wrapped up together.

Bernie

• Like 1

Jason,

Jim didn't post any FB numbers for the 425, but from what I've been told, the 425 didn't come out until December.   The other mentioned items put this car's build date before that.  The only way to tell for sure is to find the engine code.  Look for a JW.

On 7/18/2017 at 0:32 PM, RivNut said:

Ed

Ed, you saw things I did not, thank you. Were the chrome wheel well mouldings absent? I've heard when the wheel well mouldings are absent you might want to look for body work in that area. I really don't know.

On July 19, 2017 at 9:05 AM, RivNut said:

Jason,

Jim didn't post any FB numbers for the 425, but from what I've been told, the 425 didn't come out until December.   The other mentioned items put this car's build date before that.  The only way to tell for sure is to find the engine code.  Look for a JW.

I looked in Riview archives and could not find reference to the 425 availability being later in 63.  

Jim? Tom? Any thoughts

saw pics of underside. Looked pretty good but not pristine. Needs exhaust. Alerted buyer If a second inspection  occurs the engine numbers should be checked

8 hours ago, JZRIV said:

I looked in Riview archives and could not find reference to the 425 availability being later in 63.  

Jim? Tom? Any thoughts

saw pics of underside. Looked pretty good but not pristine. Needs exhaust. Alerted buyer If a second inspection  occurs the engine numbers should be checked

The 425 was the announced in December 1962. The first cars to have them started coming out in January 1963.

8 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Jim? Tom? Any thoughts

There is a `63 service bulletin which announces the availability of the 425 but there is mention of the Riviera and Wildcat models, so it can be interpreted several ways. But what Jim states above is very, very likely as production line changes commonly were scheduled to begin after the Christmas break. Another good example is the change in `65 in Gran Sport emblem styles from small version to large.

Tom