Freeing Stuck Clutch

Guest J Priester

Guest J Priester

Trying to get my 1929 President to drivable to  finish the list of what mechanically needs to be done.  Problem is the clutch will not release so cannot shit gears.  Have tried raising rear wheels depressing clutch with car in 3rd and snapping the wheels and blocking front wheels depressing clutch with car in gear and hitting the starter all to no avail.  Is there any other method to free the clutch other than dropping clutch/bell housing and transmission and disassemble and free clutch?  Can the clutch/bell housing and transmission be dropped without pulling the engine?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

J Priester

Yes, if necessary, you can take the transmission off to access the clutch without removing the engine.   To remove the transmission disconnect the drive line from both the transmission and the rear end.   Remove all of the floor boards, clutch and brake pedals and then you can unbolt the transmission bell housing from the engine.  See attached pictures of 1929 President double disc clutch with the transmission removed.  These picture are of one of the 1929 Presidents I previously owned.

IMG_5777.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

3 hours ago, J Priester said:

Trying to get my 1929 President to drivable to  finish the list of what mechanically needs to be done.  Problem is the clutch will not release so cannot shit gears.  Have tried raising rear wheels depressing clutch with car in 3rd and snapping the wheels and blocking front wheels depressing clutch with car in gear and hitting the starter all to no avail.  Is there any other method to free the clutch other than dropping clutch/bell housing and transmission and disassemble and free clutch?  Can the clutch/bell housing and transmission be dropped without pulling the engine?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

J Priester

If you keep doing what you are doing you may do what you said to the gears. But I am sure it was a Freudian slip.

It has been years ago that I replaced the clutch in a 1966 Jeep. The new clutch would not release. I got it up against a tree, started it, jammed it into first and let it hit the tree while holding in on the clutch the whole time. I just kept revving the engine while pressing on the clutch pedal. The smoke rolled off of it but the clutch worked perfectly afterwards.  Looking back I should have chained it to the tree but the Jeep's bumper was pretty tough :) 

Guest J Priester

Hi All:

Thank you for the responses and pictures. The pictures particularly helped as I was unsure of the space needed to drop the transmission.  Discussed with  a new neighbor who has experience with struck clutches and he agreed will likely have to drop the trans.

keninman, very unique approach.  Just do not have a tree big enough!

Thanks again for the help!

John P

I recently installed a motor complete with clutch and transmission in my 40 commander. The notes and clutch were rebuilt about 22 years ago and satnin a car outside. Motor ran great but the clutch was frozen. I cranked the starter in 1st gear to get it rolling and took it out on a deserted paved road. After acelleraring hard to 20 mph and taking my foot off the gas 4 times the clutch broke loose. The clutch now works freely with no ill effects. It has now been in service 2000 miles. I was faced with removals of the engine and transmission if this did not work as there is no Inspectìon cover on the bellhousing.

Good luck