This one wasn't my fault...honest

Thriller

So, while we were in Brookfield, I was presented with four reasonable purchase options.  First, Suzanne asked me if we bought a Reatta convertible, whether we'd be able to drive it home.  With the border crossing, the answer was no.  That said, we did discuss one for sale...she ultimately decided not to pursue it.  Then, our youngest, Joseph, presented us with a local ad (which I was somewhat aware of)...more on that later.  Two friends suggested they would allow us to become stewards of interesting Rivieras...those are still tempting, but I didn't go to the National with the idea of buying another car, let alone an intent to do so.

At any rate, I'd driven by this car a few times, and the colour always caught the eye, but it was far enough off the road to not be able to confirm what it was and I often went by when the place was closed.  The Kijiji (sort of like a Canadian CraigsList) ad Joseph found had Suzanne pondering and she ultimately decided that, since she was still off work Friday, that we should go take a look.  As it is a bit out of town I did confirm that it was still there before making the drive.

The car is a 1976 Buick Skyhawk, one owner (purchased by dealer in an estate sale) who was a nurse, with just over 30,000 miles.  It is finished in Concord Green, with a white and green vinyl interior.  It has the 231 V6 with automatic.  It has a few options, but mostly smaller items and doesn't have air conditioning (fat sweaty guy sighing).  While it may have been more expensive than I'd have liked, it isn't too unreasonable considering the low mileage and overall condition.  I did look at a few online pricing tools, so I didn't get too far out of hand.  Ultimately, it was Suzanne's decision, so she wrote the cheque.  We just have a bit of paperwork to deal with, then I can put plates on it and bring it home.

I didn't really know much about these cars since I haven't seen too many.  I've been doing some reading and research, and it has definitely grown on me.  With three young drivers in the house, it is nice to have something smaller that is less likely to get them into trouble (says he who found out today someone backed his Electra into something solid on the after tour and bent the rear bumper) at least from a speed perspective.  From the test drive, I think it's a pretty neat little car. 

There is some rust bubbling the paint behind driver side wheels and the passenger front fender appears to have been painted.  It seems to me to be original paint, and is worn thin in a few spots. 

This should be a fun adventure...children are already discussing driving it to Denver next year (and missing their brother's high school grad).

20170714IMG-3109FrontEnd.jpg

20170714IMG-3115EngineBay.jpg

20170714IMG-3118Dash.jpg

20170714IMG-3120DataPlate.jpg

1.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

• Like 10

I forgot to add I've done some decoding of the body tag.

12B should be build code of second week of December (1975)

40L-40U is the paint upper and lower in Concord Green

03N is the interior code for a white interior

I will ultimately send a request to Vintage Vehicle Services, but if anyone can decode further, I'd appreciate it.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to getting to know this car better. 

Bill, before we concern ourselves with detailing the engine bay, I want to confirm how the Archival judging is done since it has changed since I last did it. It's a bit of a time capsule so I don't want to go too far at first blush. 

I've done some driving the last couple days. They wouldn't give me the paperwork until the cheque cleared, so yesterday I drove out to get that, and dealt with the registration before I came home. This afternoon Teresa and I went out to get it. It's a more subtle/silvery green than she was expecting from photos she had seen. Of course, it had to be raining so now a wash is necessary. 

The Electra makes it look small for some reason. 

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3147.JPG

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

The Skyhawk made its debut last weekend for a few car club guys and it made its public debut at a local cruise night tonight. 

A local British car club was the feature club tonight so Morgans, Jags, Austins and Minis abounded. Aside from ours, there was a 67 Riv, 73 Centurion, a custom 55, and a 36 convertible. 

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

• Like 3

It was a lot of fun as the Skyhawk attracted a lot of attention between the colour and the relative rarity. A lot of folks walked up initially thinking it was a Monza. This low mileage, nice overall condition car is a keeper. There are a few things to do. One of the first will be to go over it with Meguiars cleaner, polish, and wax. I'm definitely enjoying having added it to the collection. 

I went through the BCA roster tonight. There are only two other 1976 Skyhawks listed and six from 1975 to 1980. I guess it makes sense that these aren't seen very often. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about Denver. The timing is bad, potentially conflicting with Joseph's high school grad - that will be confirmed soon. An inability to get a room at the host hotel is also a deterrent. 

Luke and Teresa are talking about going themselves regardless of grad. 

• 1 month later...

IMG_3367.thumb.JPG.e8e702ee37067b9ee473095df1eb1f1e.JPGThis is such a happy little car. Suzanne wants to call it Hawkeye, but the children, who think of the Marvel character rather than the MASH character are fighting it. 

That said, it's the end of a season. I'm happy I drove it out to the country on Thursday as that was our last dry day. We now have snow and if the prediction is correct it with temperatures it won't be gone until spring. 

IMG_3376.thumb.JPG.087fa0eaa1e798336ee2fef24c9370aa.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3361.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3367.JPG

IMG_3364.JPG

Edited by Thriller
Hawkeye not Hawkeyes (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Well, can't go ice fishing yet. I'm not sure I'd call it sad, but it's a change and we have no choice but to adapt or go hermit. It does make some things more difficult and some things impossible so I need to adjust what I plan to do. At least I don't have to cut grass for several months (of course trading that for moving snow...my Toro makes that a bit easier). 

• Like 1

Thanks Brad. Those are hub caps, paired on either side. I've looked online a few times for the correct replacements and they are out ther, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

I didn't realize we are missing trim. I will have to dig into that and see if I can find something. 

As for selling, you will need to talk to She Who Must Be Obeyed. I don't see it happening any time soon. 

10 hours ago, Thriller said:

I didn't realize we are missing trim. I will have to dig into that and see if I can find something. 

Tell her to just to keep me in mind....I'm patient.

The chrome around the grille opening is a decal, much like your lower grille openings.1975_Buick_Skyhawk.jpg.66a6186c54e1f68fb31435dc0a066fdc.jpg

Mine is missing the lower decals (could not find them....and that was several years ago).  The upper grille is a NOS decal I found over 15 years ago.  Made of unobtanium...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Skyhawk is a Buick badged Monza which superseded the Vega. After all the bad press the Vega got for its engine problems GM decided to rebadge it. The bad engine situation was pretty much fixed by 77 but customers stayed away. So comes along the Monza which used all the Vega running gear and a little different body. GM made Buick models on this platform which you have and added other engine options like the V6.

• 2 weeks later...