Sign in to follow this  
Roger Frazee

Check Those Lug Nuts

I learned my lesson last week about checking the tightness of the lug nuts on my car hauler.  During my return trip from Knoxville to Columbus, I stopped for a bite of lunch.  During the stop I did a routine check of the wheel hubs to make sure none of the bearings were getting hot.  That's when I noticed that one wheel was so loose, it was about to come off.

All of the lug nuts had backed their way off.  One nut was gone completely and another lug had sheared off.  All six of the lug holes in the wheel were wallowed out to twice their original size.  Thank goodness I was near a Tractor Supply store that had a trailer wheel, tire, and lug nuts in stock.

After changing the wheel, with the help of a good Samaritan, I checked all of the other lug nuts.  Yep.  They were all loose.

Never again will I pull my car hauler without checking the lug nuts frequently along the way.

IMG_5255.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good reminder for everyone who tows a trailer. So glad you caught this before something very bad happened.

Before I tow my trailer I check the lug nuts on my trailer tires with my torque wrench. During every trip I check all wheels and tires, hitch, chains, trailer electrical cable and tie down straps on the car in the trailer when I do my walk around each time I stop for food, fuel or Mother Nature.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:08 AM, Roger Frazee said:

I learned my lesson last week about checking the tightness of the lug nuts on my car hauler.  During my return trip from Knoxville to Columbus, I stopped for a bite of lunch.  During the stop I did a routine check of the wheel hubs to make sure none of the bearings were getting hot.  That's when I noticed that one wheel was so loose, it was about to come off.

All of the lug nuts had backed their way off.  One nut was gone completely and another lug had sheared off.  All six of the lug holes in the wheel were wallowed out to twice their original size.  Thank goodness I was near a Tractor Supply store that had a trailer wheel, tire, and lug nuts in stock.

After changing the wheel, with the help of a good Samaritan, I checked all of the other lug nuts.  Yep.  They were all loose.

Never again will I pull my car hauler without checking the lug nuts frequently along the way.

IMG_5255.JPG

From my experience I would recommend that you change all of the lug nuts from the standard car nuts with open threads sticking out to the ones with totally enclosed ends.  If you do not have to change the tires the lug nuts can get so rusted on that you will not be able to get them off.  They will either strip out or break the stud.  Not a situation that you would like to encounter on the side of the road with a flat tire.   Ask me how I know.   Here is an example.    Redline Accessories and Part

Show All (2) Product Images

Show Fewer Product Images

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lost two trailer wheel one side. Lucky no accident.  Ruin one wheel never found the other. I think it was loose lug nuts or a not loose inside the recently installed second axle brakes. Carry extra torque wrench now

• Like 1