jdshott

37 Pontiac front brake line routing?

Pontiac Flathead Owners:

I am trying to get a 1937 2-door touring sedan ready to run for the first time since 1968.  I'm starting with brakes ... and have rebuilt the front wheel cylinders and master cylinders.

Now I am ready to run the brake lines on the front, but what I took off looked more like a roller coaster than factory-routed lines.  Does anyone either have a description or a photo of how the lines should be routed through and then across the front crossmember?

Secondly, the front brass tee (from the master to the L and R front wheels) has a "rib" on the back of it as if is used to fit into a slot on a mounting tab.  Are replacements of that tee and/or the mounting tab available?  I have been unable to find a replacement.

Thanks for your consideration,

John

Tinindian:

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  The Filling Station looks to be an interesting resource ... and one that I had not stumbled across myself.  .

Note: thus far, the closest "tee with bracket" that I have been able to find is the TE06 from Inline Tube.  While it may not be perfect, I think that it will work in this application.  Here is a link to this item on their Ebay store:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-16-Inverted-Flare-Brake-Line-Brass-Tee-3-8-24-All-Sides-With-Bracket-TE06-1pc-/191869208041?hash=item2cac4bc5e9:g:zJIAAOSwt7pXMkZc&vxp=mtr

Thanks again,

John

Hi jdshott,

Sorry I'm a little slow with responding but I have to come to the library to post.     I did my front brakes about a year ago on my grandpa's '37 Pontiac Deluxe 6 Touring Sedan.   Here are some of the pix I took.    The first two are before I started to replace the steel lines which are all original.    Actually the entire vehicle is original, grandpa was a stickler for leaving it in the garage if it was raining.    I decided to bypass replacing the old steel lines and went with copper-nickle lines instead.    Glad I did cuz it's a whole lot easier bending copper lines to match the old steel ones.     The brass junction you are concerned with can be seen in the pix quite well if you zoom in.    I think the junction you found on Ebay should work with a little modification if you don't mind drilling a new hole to mount it.    Maybe the junction can be swivelled with a little work so you can use the original chassis hole.   Might be worth a try.

Anyway, I hope these pix help.     Kookie1

00_Old Steel line_Front Left.JPG

01_Brake Line_Left_Front.JPG

06_Front_Line_Right_Installed.JPG

07_Front_Line_Left_Installed.JPG

08_Front_Brake_Line_Junction_Installed.JPG

Kookie1:

Thanks for posting those photos. That is exactly what I was hoping for. It appears as if you found a new, front tee. Do you happen to remember wher you found it?

Thanks, John

John,

I found it on the car!   Ha!   Just joking.    As I said earlier the car is all original.    The junction is the original junction that came on the '37 Pontiacs.   All I did was take it off and sandblast it to clean it up.    There is a guy I think he's in Missouri but I can't remember that has a lot of Pontiacs that probably would have that part but I can't remember his name right now.   I'll have to check my records at home (I'm at the local library right now) and add that info tomorrow.

Paul

OK, just remembered him without going home.    He told me he has a lot of NOS parts for Pontiacs.   Give him a call.

KURT KELSEY Phone # 641-648-9086

email is kelsey@prairieinet.com.

Edited by kookie1
New info remembered: (see edit history)

Paul:

Thank you!  I will contact Kurt. You did a nice job of cleaning that part … it looks new!  I've got the original brass portion, but, for whatever reason, the bracket portion is gone. 

Thanks again, John