moran75

1965 Riviera - dual master cylinder upgrade...

Hi all

I want to install a dual master cylinder on my 65 - i hear that installing one from a 67 is easiest method. Does anyone have any experience and tips?

Vacuum power unit is a Bendix...

All the best

Kev

Pretty straightforward, get a Bendix M/C for a 67 w/ drum brakes. Plumb the front cup to the front brakes and the rear to the rear. No need for prop valve since 4 wheel drum. I did it an upgraded to all new lines and hoses at the same time. You brake lamp switch is already on the pedal so you are good to go. Kaber 

Edited by Kaber (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Same question, but I’m pretty sure my booster is bad as well. Symptoms of bad idle and missing in gear, hard peddle. I know my drums are good, but I’m trying to decide if the best route is to do a disc brake upgrade in the front and going with a completely new booster/master cylinder upgrade like the one POL sells and either doing the scarbird or POL front disc brake kit? My car is more of a rat rod and not trying to be original. Was wondering if anyone had experience with the POL kit in the links below?

https://www.performanceonline.com/1966-69-Buick-Riviera-Front-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit-WBKS63651/

https://www.performanceonline.com/1963-69-Buick-Riviera-Power-Brake-Booster-Kit/

thanks!

For what it's worth, my Riv has those same symptoms, and it turned out to be a bad vacuum leak for the line into the booster. I have a ford that when you press the brakes, the engine speeds up. Found out that's a vacuum leak in the booster.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chefcg1 said:

Same question, but I’m pretty sure my booster is bad as well. Symptoms of bad idle and missing in gear, hard peddle. I know my drums are good, but I’m trying to decide if the best route is to do a disc brake upgrade in the front and going with a completely new booster/master cylinder upgrade like the one POL sells and either doing the scarbird or POL front disc brake kit? My car is more of a rat rod and not trying to be original. Was wondering if anyone had experience with the POL kit in the links below?

https://www.performanceonline.com/1966-69-Buick-Riviera-Front-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit-WBKS63651/

https://www.performanceonline.com/1963-69-Buick-Riviera-Power-Brake-Booster-Kit/

thanks!

No experience with the POL kit you referenced but the nice thing about the Scarebird adapter is that if you have problems with pads, rotors, calipers, hoses, etc., the replacement parts are as close as your local jobber, not some speciality shop in some faraway place that will take days to get you your part.  All the while you're sitting and waiting.

You don't have to do the disc conversion to do the master cylinder conversion, even with this system. I used what may be this same booster. Mine came from Master Power Brakes, but looks the same. Used the original drums and braking is a ton better than stock. I was considering a disc conversion at the time, but that moved down the to-do list when I installed this system.

DSCN1238.JPG

My guess is the POL kit is essentially a scarbird kit with all the parts in one shipment.i doubt they have reinvented the idea , but rather put their package together as a one stop shop. What appeals to me with the POL kit is powder coated calipers and slotted disc option without me having to go out of my way and time to do the same. Price seems reasonable compared to me shopping for the new parts at the local parts store. Plus considering my Riviera is not going to be original, but rather a rat rod style car. My car is almost perfect inside and out and what remains is braking and the engine running reliably (which I believe to be a brake booster issue) and figuring out some wiring I missed withe AC system when I replaced the heater core last winter. 3 herniated disks, home improvements and 80hr work week have slowed me down this year not to mention my C7 corvette project that is now done, so I’m determined to gett the Rivera done this winter!

Edited by Chefcg1 (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, Chefcg1 said:

Do you recall which setup you purchased? I don’t see a Riviera option on masterpowerbrakes.com?

I do not. When I had mine done, there was no "kit". From anybody. So, mine was built from scratch. That was in 08 or 09. I had to send them the old booster and pedal assembly, along with a few measurements they needed of the engine compartment and firewall. Took six weeks, but when I got it back, it fit like a glove. But as it was a one off, it was twice the price of the POL kit. I have not had a reason to go back to Master Power Brake and see if they developed a "kit" from what they did for my car. But I believe SloSteve is right, this is a Corvette booster.

• Like 1

Strongly recommend you replace your brake lines also. Mine corroded inside the frame going to rear brakes. Driving up to my shop, stepped on the brakes with single style master cylinder, line burst when I was about 4 or 5 Ft from the wall, did $3500 damage to car. Dual master, SS lines now.

• Like 1

My '63 came with a dual MC from what appears to be a '67 Chevy II with all drum brakes. I posted a pic of what it looks like. ETA that's how I purchased it. Previous owners installed it along with new lines. Works fine.

chevy ii.jpg

Edited by jimtash (see edit history)

Just so everyone is aware........dual master cylinders can totally fail suddenly and the pedal can go straight to the floor

and you have no brakes at all......I've seen this happen several times, once on my own car. One second I had brakes, the next time I stepped

on the pedal I had nothing at all and almost went through a barn wall. Having a dual master cylinder is no fail safe guarantee that this won't happen.

It all depends on the nature of the internal failure.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Just so everyone is aware........dual master cylinders can totally fail suddenly and the pedal can go straight to the floor

and you have no brakes at all......I've seen this happen several times, once on my own car. One second I had brakes, the next time I stepped

on the pedal I had nothing at all and almost went through a barn wall. Having a dual master cylinder is no fail safe guarantee that this won't happen.

It all depends on the nature of the internal failure.

Very true. My car is sitting in storage right now because one of the rear wheel cylinders is leaking and it has no brakes whatsoever. Thankfully the parking brakes still work because it was the only thing that stopped the car. The rear cavity in the master cylinder is empty while the front is still full BTW. My plan is the cap the rear outlet at the MC so the front brakes will have pressure and allow the car to be moved safely.

Edited by jimtash (see edit history)

OK Riviera People:  A dual master? Sure......if you also install a fresh brake line kit too. Don't forget the EMERGENCY BRAKE.

It's gotta work correctly and,...............,...........THE DRIVER MUST BE COMFORTABLE with the adjustment of the pedal.  Mitch