moran75

1965 Riviera - flexible fuel line in engine bay?

moran75    2

Hi All

Hopefully you can help with my 65 - I have a flexible fuel hose in the engine bay which needs replacing ...I have two questions..

1)The existing hose , apart from being damaged, looks to be routed a very untidy way (maybe unsafe, so close to the engine?) to the filter, and then onto the carb.....can anyone post a pic of how they have routed their set up?

2)Just out of interest I've been told that originally the fuel line in the engine compartment was metal all way to the carb - is this correct?

All the best

Kev

jsgun    31

Here's the fuel line routing. This is for a A/C car that has a return vent line. The fuel line is rubber from the corner of the frame rail, to the pump. Then from the pump to the carb. My 64 AC car uses 3/8 fuel hoses.

Fuel Line locations web.jpg

• Like 2

48Super    17

Here is a period picture of an engine showing detail of how the fuel supply hose is routed through the AC/ alternator bracket. Notice that there is a depression stamped into the

bracket where the hose contacts it.

1965-Buick-425-Super-Wildcat-C1314-0102.jpg.057be38f7feb1512ecbe74ccc336953a.jpg

• Like 2

60FlatTop    2,002

The new 3/8" fuel line is manufactured in millimeters and slightly smaller. Your Corbin clamps may not fit.

I used some older stock hose last time.

Bernie

• Like 1

TexRiv_63    34

Be sure to use upgraded fuel hose certified for fuel injection use rather than regular parts store hose, it will resist the ethanol and last a lot longer.

• Thanks 1

jsgun    31
1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Be sure to use upgraded fuel hose certified for fuel injection use rather than regular parts store hose, it will resist the ethanol and last a lot longer.

I agree with this. In CA, our gas has a lot of alcohol, and kills rubber. I went to Gates Barricade fuel injection hose, and stopped having problems with hoses getting hard from heat and chemical rot.

I also recommend going to silicon vacuum hoses. I haven't had any issues with them drying out like rubber vacuum hoses.

• Thanks 2

first64riv    5
21 hours ago, jsgun said:

I also recommend going to silicon vacuum hoses. I haven't had any issues with them drying out like rubber vacuum hoses.

I just ordered 20' of black 1/8" silicone hose.  It's the first step to redoing the HVAC system.  Great suggestion.

Chris

TexRiv_63    34

Silicone is great for all hoses especially radiator and heater applications, most police package cars have those and they last forever as long as you don't cut them. Not sure about availability for a first gen Riv though...