GL Serial Numbers 29 or 30

23 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

The starting numbers are given on http://theantiquestudebakerclub.com/indentifycarsall/dataasheet1929thru1933.htm

First South Bend car #1,460,001.

So since they started at 1,46xxxx this one would be the 5019th one built. Still how many GL sedans were built in 29? I really got to wondering because the info I have found says they did not open up all of the colors to every model until the 1930 models. Mine says Limousine Blue under the seat and I do not see that as a Dictator color for 29. 

Studebaker introduced new models at different times of the year and did not have specific year models. GL production ran from June 1929 to May 1930. Total series production was 17,561 according to the figures in The Standard Catalog. Assuming the four door sedan was the most popular style I guess they made up about half of the total(?). I am guessing but yours may not have been sold new until early 1930. I am sure there must have been running changes to colour options.

This one lives locally. Restored more than 50s years ago, I am not even sure it has ever been completely apart. Sold here in NZ as a Director.

IMG_1289.JPG

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)