1934 commander

How were these engines painted at the factory?

I ask because other makes painted the assembled engine, including manifolds, water pump, valve covers, sump, timing cover and probably bell housing. Only accessories, like fan, spark plug lead conduits, generator and starter, were black. In my 1930 Dodge, even the water pump shaft was painted on the top along with the top of the gland nut. Doing it this way there are only a couple of things to mask: carb. mount and distributor mount. Clearly the exhaust manifold paint would burn off the first time the engine was started.

With this wrapping, the muffler will run hotter than normal because cooling is restricted. The exhaust pipe each side will conduct heat away and become hotter than it would normally be. Maybe that is not a problem; less condensation may be deposited in the muffler during startup and it would evaporate sooner.

What will happen when it gets wet? If the muffler remains wet for long periods, corrosion might take hold.

The other way of doing this might be to put a heat shield on the underside of the floor.

I would think that may cause some problems. It seems like you could remove the tar paper and put this wrap on floor with a metal heat shield between the muffler and this wrap. If possible leaving an air space even an eighth of an inch between them. 

If that doesn't work try just insulating the top of the muffler so heat dispenses from the rest of it. Just my 2cents but I just would worry about the heat from a totally wrapped muffler. Good luck. 

no leaks at all     temp a little high just idling    she's running   smooth    need to drain oil change filter    and no more oil cloud out of  tail pipe        this is fun   can't wait to get her out of garage and on the road  

still lots of  days  of driving this year 

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

Guest trap442w30

Isn't a great feeling when you fire it up for the first time.  I just went through that a couple months ago with my 1917....of course I didn't completely rebuild it, my car is not as beautiful as yours, and it didn't purr like yours does....but it is so satisfying to know your labor of love is one step closer to really enjoying it....and you are preserving history at the same time.  You have an absolutely beautiful car....condition, styling and sound.