Question about CD player

Bob Hill

There is not a seperate fuse, if the radio plays the CD player should as well. It might be unplugged, but I doubt that as well. I believe it just doesn't work which would be common for an original 27 year old player.

You can send it off for repars or do like I did and remove it and install a cubby. It's old technology...

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I replaced the stock radio with a modern CD/Bluetooth head unit. Phone does everything and cd slot is a good place for a magnetic mount.

ps made adapter cables & did not cut harness so easy return to stock.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Hill said:

So dumb question.  I assume CD player powers on when CD is put in? I see no other button that would turn it on - even on radio.  I'm thinking maybe the radio in the car is a GM radio but not the factory radio 

Photos? There must be a control for switching inputs- or, it could be internally switched when a disk is inserted.

CD player is powered by the head unit. Source switching is automatic when a disc is inserted or play is pressed on the external player. There is a communications path between the player and the head unit to facilitate this interaction. Button illumination is also controlled similarly to other switchgear on the dash. Sounds to me like either a failed player (most likely) or problem in the harness between the head unit and CD player. Given the cost of repair for the player, I'm not sure it is worth it unless one is wanting to stay stock for show and judging purposes. So much more can be done (and far better) with current aftermarket gear.

I still prize my CD collection, but it is strictly for serious listening at home on high end kit. In the car I use SD cards, a thumb drive or Bluetooth streaming via smartphone (depending on which vehicle and capabilities of installed gear therein) and get much more enjoyment from any of those than slinging discs for a max of 74 minutes of music each.

• Like 1

The stereo part still works fine, correct? I have used this for many years, it works flawlessly. It stows away in the arm rest, plugs into the cig lighter. It has a full remote. Match your empty FM channel to stereo, set a preset for it. It will use an SD, Flash Drive, or plug into an iPod-like device of your choice. Those memory hold more CD than you own. Use your PC to load your CD into MP3 format, and transfer to the memory. You now have a virtual jukebox in your car.

Click here to find out more

61lBCTz6o4L__SL1098_.thumb.jpg.f3ad5b6d5632dee167306b7905452fc1.jpg