2018 Buick Club National Meet - Denver, CO - June 19-23

• BUICK RACER locked, unlocked and pinned this topic

Hi Roy,

i was was looking at the registration form at a friend's last week and there were a couple points of confusion. First, what I'd heard verbally in Brookfield was that if a vehicle qualified for 400 point (ie 12 years old or older), it would qualify for the Driven award, but the registration form stated 1993 or earlier. 

Secondly, I had difficulty understanding the way it was laid out. I'm working from memory, so please correct errors (don't have my Bugle yet). It costs something like $30 to add the driven above and beyond whatever class the vehicle is registered in? For me to do all the paperwork and save a few judges breakfasts to get the award? Also, it seems to me it cost the same for a Display car as a 400 point car. That doesn't make sense to me as the awards and judging costs don't apply to the display Buicks. Or is this either an attempt to get everyone to have their cars judged, or is everyone who isn't subsidizing the 400 point classes?

Any clarification you could provide would be great. Of course, I understand you are the messenger, and not the ones making the decisions. I hope I'm wrong on some of my understanding / interpretation. 

• Like 1

The registration published in the July Bugle is incorrect regarding the Driven Award.  It was submitted for publication 6 weeks in advance. The one appearing in the August Bugle is correct.

The Driven Class of the past is gone for 2018. There will be no more Driven Class judging or a Driven Class. Any car registered for the meet (Judged, Modified, Archival, or Display) can purchase a Driven Award for an additional $10 if the car is 25 years old and driven to the meet. The owner of the car will be asked to sign a sheet at the registration desk claiming that the car qualifies, and they will be handed the award at that time. This is the first attempt at the new policy, so expect a few minor changes, but this is how I understand it to be now.  And this is how it is published in the August Bugle.

Also, merely displaying a car is cheaper than having it judged.

• Like 3

The Driven Class was mostly a sub-class of Display anyway.  I think it's a good option to be able to certify that you drove the car ( by the way, the new program allows for a breakdown of 25% of the driven mileage and you can still get the award)  if you want to.  I tend to doubt this change will impact anyone's decision to change from archival or 400 point class.  No one is twisting anyone's arm to apply for a driven award in any of the remaining classes, but to some, it is a well deserved badge of honor.

• Like 3

Thanks Roy. The only difference I'd heard from some was that if it was eligible for 400 point, it was eligible for the Driven award, suggesting that a 12 year old Buick would now qualify. I guess reaching out to Mr. Steed as the authority would eliminate any remaining confusion...can't trust me as a source nor what was spoken in Brookfield. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2017 at 1:55 PM, Thriller said:

Thanks Roy. The only difference I'd heard from some was that if it was eligible for 400 point, it was eligible for the Driven award, suggesting that a 12 year old Buick would now qualify. I guess reaching out to Mr. Steed as the authority would eliminate any remaining confusion...can't trust me as a source nor what was spoken in Brookfield. 

This is correct. If it's eligible to be on the showfield, it is now eligible for the Driven Award.

We'll get it all straightened out eventually!  :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The last posting on here was 8 days ago.  I don't know who you guys have been talking to, but, the host hotel for the 2018 National Meet is wide open for booking reservations.  My other half got our reservations placed earlier today.  She asked the gal that she talked with about all rooms for Wednesday being spoken for.  The gal laughed and told her that we were number 9 from the BCA locking in reservations.  Someone on here is blowing a whole lot of smoke about the reservations filling up for next years meet.  I put this on here so folks would know the straight scoop about what is going on.  Our room is locked in and the rest of you can have what is left.

Terry and Barbara Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Email sent on 9.6.2017

To All BCA Members:

The 2018 Denver National Buick Meet is scheduled from 6/19/18-6/23/18. The reservations of allocated rooms at the host hotel, Denver Marriott South at Park Meadows, for Tuesday (6/19/18) and Wednesday (6/20/18) have been completed. There are no more rooms for these two nights at the Marriott, unless there are cancellations. There are still rooms available for Thursday through Saturday night.

To accommodate those arriving on Tuesday (6/19/18) and Wednesday (6/20/18), the BCA has made arrangements at the Hampton Inn & Suites, Denver/South-Ridgegate.  The Tuesday & Wednesday BCA special rate is $159/night + applicable tax.

The Hampton Inn & Suites is 1.1 mile away from the host Marriott hotel to drive or 0.8-miles if you walked (16-minutes). 

Best Value Strategy: If you are coming on Tuesday to the 2018 Denver National Buick Meet make your reservations at the Hampton Inn & Suites, Denver/South-Ridgegate for Tuesday (6/19) and Wednesday (6/20). Reserve for the balance of your stay at the Denver Marriott South at Park Meadows. The Marriott's BCA special rate is $129/night + applicable tax.

Time is of the essence. Below is the weblink to Hampton Inn & Suites, Denver/South-Ridgegate for room reservations.

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/groups/personalized/D/DENRGHX-BCA-20180617/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG

Below is the weblink to Denver Marriott South at Park Meadows for BCA room reservations.

https://aws.passkey.com/e/49273599

If you register for the wonderful and interesting day tours on either/or both Wednesday and Thursday, the tour bus will pickup at both hotels for your convenience.

Grateful for the enthusiasm of the BCA Membership to attend the 2018 Denver National Buick Meet.

Respectfully,

Kirt Priest, Director

2018 Denver National Buick Meet

1153 Bergen Parkway, I-403

Evergreen, CO 80439

Cell: 408-373-9747

Email: Kirt.MHBC@gmail.com

• Thanks 1

Thanks Roberta

Appears even the Thursday-Saturday rooms at the Marriott are gone. Was able to book Wednesday- Saturday at Hampton with Wednesday at BCA rate at a whopping $3 savings, enough to buy Roberta a Yuengling...maybe... Looks like my hesitation to reserve cost us $117 total. Don't nobody tell Rita please. Oh well...

PS If anyone cancels their Marriot rooms I'd appreciate a chance at them. 

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Thanks Roberta

Appears even the Thursday-Saturday rooms at the Marriott are gone. Was able to book Wednesday- Saturday at Hampton with Wednesday at BCA rate at a whopping $3 savings, enough to buy Roberta a Yuengling...maybe... Looks like my hesitation to reserve cost us $117 total. Don't nobody tell Rita please. Oh well...

PS If anyone cancels their Marriot rooms I'd appreciate a chance at them. 

I don't think they have Yuengling in CO, though....

On 10/30/2017 at 8:49 AM, BUICK RACER said:

If you register for the wonderful and interesting day tours on either/or both Wednesday and Thursday, the tour bus will pickup at both hotels for your convenience.

We'll do our own tour 70 miles west in Dillon, CO...including tours of some brew pubs.

• Like 2

Well now I'm hemming and hawing. We got the grad schedule and based on that we could make it work, although we would need to head straight home in something reliable. However since the dithering has led to a lack of room availability at a decent price, I'm not sure. MrEarl is finally showing up at a National again so I ought to go. Sigh. Decisions decisions. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2017 at 10:05 AM, TxBuicks said:

It sounds to me like we need to get Mr. Earl to every show, just to increase attendance.

? Starting to feel like a total solar eclipse, in this case sunglasses will be sufficient. Cheap sunglasses at that.  

(some ZZ Top music in the background please) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/1/2017 at 10:33 AM, old-tank said:

Bet you can find something you like here:  https://www.dambrewery.com/beer/

Good eats too.

What Buick Meet?

On 11/2/2017 at 9:54 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Derek, a lot more hotels within a mile or two. Cheaper, too.

Ben

Hummm maybe something in close proximity to https://www.dambrewery.com/beer/ 

or maybe the brewery would allow travel trailer parking for you Ben

• Like 1

Lots of brew pubs, microbreweries, tap rooms, etc. around.  It is Colorado after all.

Old Loveland pass is a nice drive, but I'm more used to doing it in a TR-3 rather than a 50's Buick.  Disc brake probably make a big difference.  For those into 'train spotting' type actives, you can sit at the top of the pass with a hazardous materials book and look up all the numbers on the sides of the semis, since hazmat is not allowed through the tunnels on I-70! 

I am going to try and make the Nationals if my employment situation allows, but I'll be day tripping it.  The 50 miles each way is cheaper on gas than a hotel room.

Scott

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1