41 Buick Sedannette engine

Guest urbs

Hi,

I have a 1941 Buick Sedannett Special with Duel Carbs, and wondered if this was the original Straight 8 engine. The car looked to have been  restored many years ago. I believe the engine was taken out, not sure if it was rebuilt, or a different Buick Straight 8 was put in.  Here are some numbers I found on the car. A small number plate on the firewall #13985448. I found a stamped number RE-I54027 on the left side of the engine block, can’t seem to find information to match anything with that number. It looks like there is an area for the engine number but nothing is there. Any information would be helpful. Here are a few pictures.

41 buick engine number 3.JPG

P1070985.JPG

P1070976.JPG

P1070980.JPG

Looks like someone ground off of the serial number (2nd pic). Maybe it gives new meaning to the term "hot engine!" :lol: Remnants of red paint on the manifold and cyl head, correct for '41. Remnants of turquoise paint on the engine, not correct for '41 but '42 to '52. Looks like you have a hybrid there.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks Ben,

I'll take more pictures this weekend and look for those serial numbers by the water pump. It struck me odd, that it does look like someone ground off the serial numbers. Hummm.

Jack

Does the "RE"  mean re-manufactured and  re-builder stamped new #s and ground the old ones off.  Like Ben says side mount is visable, so would mean late `40s-`52 block, 248/263, the 263 has a raised rib on the exterior side of the cylinders on the drivers side. The valve cover is correct for the dual carb. bat-wing air cleaner, and also has the `41 side lifter cover with the mount for the oil filter, directly below #4.

The  RE stands for replacement engine. Buick couldnt make cars, but upped production on engines to keep em running. Since some states used engine #s to register cars, you were supposed to stamp your original engine # on the pad to keep those #s matching car registration. The stamped # after the RE was presumably a way for the factory to track sale/ warranty, etc

2 hours ago, urbs said:

Thanks Ben,

I'll take more pictures this weekend and look for those serial numbers by the water pump. It struck me odd, that it does look like someone ground off the serial numbers. Hummm.

Jack

To find the numbers I am talking about the pump must be removed.

Ben

Interesting!  I have a '41 dual-carb Special as well but my pushrod cover doesn't have the road draft tube that yours does, and the oil filter is mounted on the cover just forward of the distributor, not above the fuel pump as yours.  Now I'll have to check my numbers!

18 minutes ago, Malo48 said:

Interesting!  I have a '41 dual-carb Special as well but my pushrod cover doesn't have the road draft tube that yours does, and the oil filter is mounted on the cover just forward of the distributor, not above the fuel pump as yours.  Now I'll have to check my numbers!

Malo48, Good eye, I didn`t notice the tube, my `41 engine is similar to yours, no vent tube from the lifter cover, engine is vented from the valve cover to the air-cleaner of the dual carbs. 

I don’t think I’m going to find that secondary serial number if I have to take off parts,  I'll keep looking as I get more involved into it. So, from what you guys are seeing, you think this is a ’48 engine with a ‘41 duel carb manifold?

Can you tell what size engine this is if this Is a 248 or a 320 engine.

Jack