64 Riviera driver power window part needed.

Rob Mangieri

Hello everyone, I'm an experienced car builder but this is my first Buick. It's a 64 Riviera 425 single 4bbl all power car. I am rebuilding the drivers door (power vent window gears, seals, felts, clean and re lube all the guides etc.) and found the source of the "CLANK" every time I close it. The rear arm that guides the window had snapped off and was just dangling by the roller inside the door.  The windows still functioned but explains the misalignment. 

Ive added a marked up users photo. What is this part called (doesn't come up o searches for window regulators). 

IMG_9170.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

Edited by Rob Mangieri
Updated (see edit history)

There's no replacement part for it.

This seems to be the most common issue on first gen Riv's. I'm planning on making a new one from delrin, cut to size. I'm thinking a low profile bolt to hold it in place at the pivot. It seems to happen from the window being pushed on to close the door.

Edited by jsgun (see edit history)

Someone on this forum has repaired one.  I don't know what he called it, but you can probably spend some time and find it by searching this forum.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger either.   I believe that arm is used to control the window adjustment across the top.  Because most people grab the glass at the top to close the door, an undue amount of strain is placed on this arm and it eventually breaks at the weakest point - right across the rivet.

Ed

7 hours ago, Rob Mangieri said:

Hello everyone, I'm an experienced car builder but this is my first Buick. It's a 64 Riviera 425 single 4bbl all power car. I am rebuilding the drivers door (power vent window gears, seals, felts, clean and re lube all the guides etc.) and found the source of the "CLANK" every time I close it. The rear arm that guides the window had snapped off and was just dangling by the roller inside the door.  The windows still functioned but explains the misalignment. 

Ive added a marked up users photo. What is this part called (doesn't come up o searches for window regulators). 

IMG_9170.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

I was at the BCA national meet last week and a vendor there had a pair in his swap space. Dont know if he sold them or not?? Would be worth a call...PM me for contact info

The arm breaks because the pivot corrodes to the point that it breaks the arm. When I am into a door and find an intact arm I always pay attention (free up and lube) to this pivot and find they are always very, very tight. Hope this helps,

Tom

Thanks for the input everyone. I had a feeling this was going to be a "fun" part to source. Looking at closely, I am thinking why couldn't I remove the rivet/washer and fashion my own replacement arm out of aluminum stock then reattach it with countersunk flush head allen bolts and large washers like they use for roller blade axles.  See pic attached... im not sure what they call these type of bolts off hand. The depth being correct will be key.. This way it remains tight but doesnt allow it to wobble, bind or come loose. Even 2 teflon washers and white lithium could be used etc.

6ba4ef0c-555a-4a4b-864e-e54d67c10461_1.e99d1e1cb06fcb26bcf72f2e347284b2.jpeg

11 hours ago, Rob Mangieri said:

Thanks for the input everyone. I had a feeling this was going to be a "fun" part to source. Looking at closely, I am thinking why couldn't I remove the rivet/washer and fashion my own replacement arm out of aluminum stock then reattach it with countersunk flush head allen bolts and large washers like they use for roller blade axles.  See pic attached... im not sure what they call these type of bolts off hand. The depth being correct will be key.. This way it remains tight but doesnt allow it to wobble, bind or come loose. Even 2 teflon washers and white lithium could be used etc.

6ba4ef0c-555a-4a4b-864e-e54d67c10461_1.e99d1e1cb06fcb26bcf72f2e347284b2.jpeg

If you have to look for these, they are called "sex bolts". They have a male half and female half.

3 hours ago, steelman said:

If you have to look for these, they are called "sex bolts". They have a male half and female half.

Steelman thanks a million for that answer. Google failed me and literally no one at the hardware,part stores knew what to call them. I found them just by eyballing it for 30 years rofl.

abandg - thanks for the tip on the 65 window.

Overall I can still put the car back together and drive it but I dont like the leak the misalignment creates which also leaks water.

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

Interesting.   My 64 has the bolt on side glass.  My 63 has the press in glass as shown in your picture.  Mid year production change?

Ed,

I believe you and I have covered this before here on the forum...I`m sure a search will refresh your memory. Yes, this was a running change in `64

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:00 AM, steelman said:

I've seen them called "furniture bolts", "book bolts", and "elevator bolts".