kalve

1955 Desoto vs 1955 Dodge

kalve    11

I am looking at buying a car its between 2 Chryslers. It is a 1955 Desoto Firedome 2 door & 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer 2 door. Was wanting to know what is the difference in the factory options on these cars & which car was the better one to have?

Edited by kalve (see edit history)

JACK M    459

Both good cars.

This would be the last year of the six volt cars.

I suspect that there may have been more of the Dodges produced but someone here will have those numbers.

With that thought there may be more parts available for the Dodge.

Desoto may have been the more upscale car in its day.

kalve    11

ok yea looking to sell my 64 tbird landau with 390V8 auto an buy one of these chryslers products. I am leaning toward the desoto like the car were it is big etc.. looking to make one of them a daily driver in about a year. I currently drive a 85 dodge B350 sportsman with 318 auto. Looking to fix the car up an use the van for the weekends something better on gas than the van as long as i stay out of the gas with this hemi. 

JACK M    459

Some Hemi info.

Nothing between the three  early Hemi engines (Chrysler, Desoto, Dodge) will interchange.

Well, maybe the distributor points. And the bellhousing and flywheel patterns are the same.

But the  heads, manifolds, valve covers, internals are all completely different from each other.

Chrysler, the most popular has many performance parts available, The Dodge and Desoto not so much.

I read all the time that there is a shortage of Desoto camshafts. And there are more than one of those as there are low and hi deck versions.

When you throw in all of the marine and industrial versions it can get a bit confusing. The truck engines have some differences as well.

• Like 1

There are excellent support clubs and forums for both the Dodge and Desoto.   Both are covered by the internet Forward Look group which has many members with both cars.   I think you'll be very happy with either one so buy the one in better condition to begin with and you'll be driving and enjoying it that much sooner.  

• Like 1

Rusty_OToole    439

They are quite different cars. The DeSoto is the larger, more powerful, more expensive car. More interesting and unique from a collector's standpoint. The Dodge is more economical, easier to get parts for and more practical.

I wouldn't recommend either for a daily driver unless you are talking about rather limited use. If you plan to mix it up in real meat axey hiway traffic  for 50 miles a day forget it. But if you are experienced in maintaining an old car and don't plan on using it too hard it might work out. Remember, we are talking about a car that required a lot more upkeep than today's cars when it was new, and it passed its best before date when Cher was a virgin.

A lot depends on miles and condition of the cars.

Frankly if I was looking for an old car for regular use I would chose a Chrysler product but I would get one from the late sixties or seventies maybe the eighties. There were a lot of changes and improvements, and parts are easier to get.

In fact right now I am restoring a 1966 Dodge Coronet . I mean to use it regularly in the summer. It is a very practical car and fun to own with its economical, long living slant six.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

keiser31    976

I LOVED my 1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer. I lived in San Diego when I owned it and it was a 63,000 original miles car. Still had the plastic seat covers over the Jaquard upholstery. I also had a 1955 DeSoto at the same time, but am sorry to say, I had to sell it before I could get it on the street. I drove the '55 Dodge to work and back every day on the freeway and it was perfect for the traffic there. It had the little 270 Super Red Ram HEMI in it with the automatic shift selector coming out of the dashboard. I would recommend that one. Here is my old "Neapolitan" as I called it because of the ice cream color combination....

Picture 998.jpg

Tinindian    320

I love the looks of the Dodge but if they were equal in condition and price I would probably buy the Desoto as it is more upscale.

kalve    11

They are both 2 door cars. I am looking more at the Desoto than the Dodge just something different & plan to make it more driver friendly over time update trans engine etc.. I plan to drive it every day except when the weather gets bad then use the 85 Dodge van it does great in the winter time. 

• Like 1

28 Chrysler    78

I had a 55 DeSoto  as a daily driver, it had no problems keeping up with traffic. These cars are very easy to drive. The engine and tranny engineering were quite modern for the day. The only modification I might do is change the power brake vac. boaster with a modern one  If you want a modern drive-train I would say to look for a bit of a newer car that you don't have to modify to get newer parts to fit and work  ( 318 distributors will fit the DeSoto )