Sign in to follow this  
Riviera63

Rivieras At The 2017 BCA National Meet

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

They have to.  In order to fit a 65 / later wheel on the earlier hub, a register ring in the wheel must be knocked out (I say knocked out, but it's welded in) in order for the wheel to fit over the 63/64 hubs - both front and rear.  The 65 / later has a smaller front hub.  Removing them is not an easy feat.

Ed,

  I know the owner of this car. I suspect he is "posing" this car exactly as he likes it per his preferences. Originally equipped with a beautiful set of cast aluminum wheels his preference is the chrome wheels. Although I really like the cast aluminum wheels, and thought he was making a mistake when changing them out, the contrast between the car`s color and the gloss black wheel webs  really made the car stand out in what was a beautiful gathering of Rivieras. For some reason the car was parked in the car corral all weekend and was not subjected to judging, let alone judging as "stock".

  BTW, the wheel register rings are easily removed with a ballpean hammer and a short, stout punch. Takes maybe a minute after all 4 wheels are lined up? The rings are simply "tacked" in four places, very easily removed.

  Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RivNut said:

I must have had too small of a hammer and a puny punch.😆

Hmmm.....I`ve heard that can be a problem. I like my 4 lb`der

  Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I contacted the BCA and managed to get a copy of the picture taken of my car in the meet photo lane. Hopefully, next time I won't have to be concerned with fixing a car problem and be able to get more car pictures taken, including one of my own car.

 

As a side note. I did enter my car in the 400 point judging. I know people get nervous about doing this and that included myself. I went back and forth several times before sending in my registration. I finally decided to go for it rather than wonder, what if? I found the experience not to be as terrifying as I thought it might be. The judges were very friendly, professional and courteous. Now that it is over I am glad I did it. I did manage to come away with a silver award. I was very happy with that as I knew I would get several mandatory deductions for tires, clamps, battery, dual master cylinder, etc. These are things I know I will not change. I did request a copy of my judging sheets and should be getting those soon. It will be interesting to see what other things the judges found. 

 

Bill

 

 

Riviera BCA Meet 2017.jpg

IMG_2938.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bill,

looks a very nice example as I'm a bit partial to Arctic White. Do you have other pictures you could share as I'm interested as to what makes yours a standout from others in the same colour. 

Rodney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Bill,

looks a very nice example as I'm a bit partial to Arctic White. Do you have other pictures you could share as I'm interested as to what makes yours a standout from others in the same colour. 

Rodney

 

2 hours ago, whitewatersky said:

Congratulations 

 

Thanks for the kind words guys. Rodney I have attached some more pictures. I am not sure what you are looking for so I attached a mixture. Let me know if there is something specific you were looking for. I also included a shot of my 4-note horns installed. You were helpful in my getting those installed. In the picture of my interior you will see something I'm sure I got a deduction for. I have a 2 color interior. The previous owner for some reason reupholstered the seats in white instead of the silver they should have been. I am a stock guy and feel I should reupholster with the correct silver. That being said I get so many compliments on the interior color combination that I hesitate to change. Oh, and there's also my wife saying if you change those seats I will kill you. I agree, Arctic White is the best on any continent. 

 

Bill

 

 

Riv 7.jpg

Riv 10.jpg

Riv 12.jpg

IMG_2034.JPG

Riv 2.jpg

Riv 5.jpg

IMG_2767.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, Riviera63 said:

I contacted the BCA and managed to get a copy of the picture taken of my car in the meet photo lane. Hopefully, next time I won't have to be concerned with fixing a car problem and be able to get more car pictures taken, including one of my own car.

 

As a side note. I did enter my car in the 400 point judging. I know people get nervous about doing this and that included myself. I went back and forth several times before sending in my registration. I finally decided to go for it rather than wonder, what if? I found the experience not to be as terrifying as I thought it might be. The judges were very friendly, professional and courteous. Now that it is over I am glad I did it. I did manage to come away with a silver award. I was very happy with that as I knew I would get several mandatory deductions for tires, clamps, battery, dual master cylinder, etc. These are things I know I will not change. I did request a copy of my judging sheets and should be getting those soon. It will be interesting to see what other things the judges found. 

 

Bill

Congratulations Bill!

 

Very nice looking '63!

 

I did the 400 point judging a few years ago with a couple of mine as you did, and as you said, I knew wasn't going to change anything, I just wanted to see what happened. It was interesting for sure.

 

The judging sheets can be informative, or at least interesting, it is different than the ROA's peer judging that is for certain.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rivman said:

Congratulations Bill!

 

Very nice looking '63!

 

I did the 400 point judging a few years ago with a couple of mine as you did, and as you said, I knew wasn't going to change anything, I just wanted to see what happened. It was interesting for sure.

 

The judging sheets can be informative, or at least interesting, it is different than the ROA's peer judging that is for certain.  

 

Randall,

 

Thank you for the nice comments. One of the things I do like about the 400 point judging is that you are only competing against yourself. What you do with that information is up to you and you are the captain of the ship. On the other hand, the recognition of your peers is a very great honor as well. Either situation, whatever the outcome, it is always a fun, rewarding experience interacting with fellow Buick/Riviera lovers. I also have to thank you for your help with the ground work for my 4 note horn installation. Thanks for the detailed, accurate measurement pictures. 

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Bill for the extra photos, great to see the big four notes now installed. It looks absolutely immaculate in the photos, everything fits properly. Looks like brand new.

 

Like to be a fly on the wall to see what you do to clean and detail it before an event. It's nice to find out  all those little things that owners like yourself do that bring a car up to the standard of yours.

 

BTW I have now installed the lid of the air cleaner with the 445 Wildcat so it is in line with the snorkel . In other words It is skewed slightly toward the right. I think I saw this orientation of the lid on a sales brochure or other Riviera literature just recently. Perhaps you might know or others could chime in.

 

Many thanks for the reply! Rodney

 

And once your missus has killed you after changing the seats, will she be selling your car ??? 😃😃😃😃😃

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 

14 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Thanks Bill for the extra photos, great to see the big four notes now installed. It looks absolutely immaculate in the photos, everything fits properly. Looks like brand new.

 

Like to be a fly on the wall to see what you do to clean and detail it before an event. It's nice to find out  all those little things that owners like yourself do that bring a car up to the standard of yours.

 

BTW I have now installed the lid of the air cleaner with the 445 Wildcat so it is in line with the snorkel . In other words It is skewed slightly toward the right. I think I saw this orientation of the lid on a sales brochure or other Riviera literature just recently. Perhaps you might know or others could chime in.

 

 

When you put your breather on, just put the base on without the filter or the top in place.  You'll see two tabs on the mouth of the base that align with two protrusions on the neck of the carb - flat edge to flat edge.

 

When the base is installed correctly, it cannot be rotated either direction.  Once the base is in place, put the filter in, and orient the top so it can be read from the front of the car.

 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a 63 in the LA craigslist last year that was silver with a silver interior and white seats. I suspect it was done like that for the same reason... no silver seat covers when it was done. It was a good looking combination. A silver/ silver car seems a little overwhelming, but it's grown on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Thanks Bill for the extra photos, great to see the big four notes now installed. It looks absolutely immaculate in the photos, everything fits properly. Looks like brand new.

 

Like to be a fly on the wall to see what you do to clean and detail it before an event. It's nice to find out  all those little things that owners like yourself do that bring a car up to the standard of yours.

 

BTW I have now installed the lid of the air cleaner with the 445 Wildcat so it is in line with the snorkel . In other words It is skewed slightly toward the right. I think I saw this orientation of the lid on a sales brochure or other Riviera literature just recently. Perhaps you might know or others could chime in.

 

Many thanks for the reply! Rodney

 

And once your missus has killed you after changing the seats, will she be selling your car ??? 😃😃😃😃😃

 

 

 

8 hours ago, bodayguy said:

You get 400 points from me - stunning!

 

Again, thanks for the kind words guys. Rodney, I will be honest I am not nearly as obsessive as I was when I got my first collector car or as energetic as I was when I was 16. When I had my first cars I would wash and wax my car just for fun or because I didn't have anything else to do. Oh, to have that youthful energy back. Cleaning cars just isn't as much fun as it used to be! I drive my car so it gets dirty and I can't avoid some cleaning chores. I have no secret formula. I try to find items on my car that are not up to snuff and replace those items with an item of better quality. Within reason if I see a piece that is an improvement on something on my car I get it. Such as you are doing with the chrome pieces on your car. I have pretty much stopped washing my car with water. I might do a water wash once a season now. There are several quality waterless car wash formulas out there. It's fast and can be done anywhere. That being said sometimes you just have to do a water wash. Usually I will gather my forces and do one monster car cleaning where I go over everything top to bottom, front to back, inside and out that takes 1-2 days. For example I did this before I went to the BCA Meet. One thing I do now that I never used to do is go over the entire car with a clay bar. It is amazing how many contaminants there are in the paint. That gets the paint as smooth as glass. Add a coat of wax and you've got one slippery surface that is very easy to clean. You can even clay your window glass and get that super smooth. I will go over the all of the chrome with metal polish. The interior, engine compartment and trunk are just dust and wipe. One thing I have learned is not to get lazy and let the car get too dirty. Once the monster clean is done I try to do a quick touch up once in awhile to keep it that way. I have also found that even though the car is garaged to keep the windows up and the car covered will save a lot cleaning later on. I take the wire wheel covers off during the winter. On a cold, snowy winter day I will disassemble, wash, metal polish and wax them. I may do this once in the summer as well. Nothing different than I'm sure that thousands of other car guys such as yourself do. I don't think I have anything that I can teach you, your car is looking pretty good as well.

 

Bill

 

P.S. I changed my will and the car will be left to you.

 

 

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill,

thats nice, but please make sure you live a long long time because

 

1. My garage will take two but only just.

2. For some reason, I really want a '66 too! I keep telling my partner, Jo that it would be as zippy and nimble and as easy to park as her Suzuki Swift, but she is just not buying that one at all.

3. I would be undecided which one to take out for the day.

 

😀😀😀😀😀

 

Rodney

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Bill,

thats nice, but please make sure you live a long long time because

 

1. My garage will take two but only just.

2. For some reason, I really want a '66 too! I keep telling my partner, Jo that it would be as zippy and nimble and as easy to park as her Suzuki Swift, but she is just not buying that one at all.

3. I would be undecided which one to take out for the day.

 

😀😀😀😀😀

 

Rodney

 

 

Rodney,

 

Let me get this straight. You are worried about having too many Rivieras? Such a dilemma. Apparently, I have to rethink my will again. There must be someone out there that would take a free Riviera. 

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill,

happy that are leaving me your Riviera , much appreciated. 😀😀😀 one can NEVER have too many Rivieras. Thinking seven is the ideal, one for each day. All different colours of course. And you could mix the years too.

 

So more than happy to make room for another and another and another .....

 

cheers

Rodney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this