Rivieras At The 2017 BCA National Meet

Riviera63

Hi,

My brother-in-law and I attended the 2017 BCA National Meet in Brookfield WI this last week in my 1963 Riviera. It was an eventful and satisfying trip. This was my first time at a BCA event. I was very impressed with the kindness, friendliness and enthusiasm of all of the BCA members we met. We did renew some old acquaintances from previous trips to ROA International Meets and last years trip to the Back to the Bricks event in Flint, MI. We also made some new acquaintances that we hope we can rekindle in the future. Our arrival at the meet was delayed by some car trouble on the way down so that we basically lost all of Thursday but, that is a story for another time. I did not snap as many pictures as I would have liked as a good share of our time was spent conferring with Buick minds in trying to solve our car dilemma. I did snap some shots of Rivieras in attendance but, not all of them. I even neglected to snap a picture of my own car at the meet. Also included are a couple of shots of a 1966 Buick Skylark GS. This car belongs to Chuck Anderson a member of this forum as he also has a silver 1963 Riviera. His tag here on the forum is Chasander. I had the pleasure of meeting Chuck and seeing both of his cars last year at the Back to the Bricks in Flint. Chuck has owned his Skylark since new and it is a beauty. I hope you enjoy the pictures and if you have any questions about the BCA meet I would be happy to answer them.

Bill

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

I believe the Midnight Blue 65 GS is the same one that took best of show at the ROA meet in Lexington, KY?

If it is, then it's Al and Cheryl Schmidt's of WI Rivi.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Do Al  and Cheryl still own the same car but in Coral.  If I remember correctly,  the Coral one won best of Show in Branson.

It was showcased as "display only" by Al at the 2016 ROA St. Charles, IL, meet I believe.

17 hours ago, RivNut said:

All nice looking cars but I have to ask myself why some 63 and 64 owners put a set of 65 and later rally wheels on their car then pose it as stock?

Also that black 65 has hub caps. I figured all GS cars came with the rally wheels??

2 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

Pretty sure the chrome road wheels were an option and not part of the GS package ?

You are correct Randy, the road wheels were an additional option.

The hubcaps that are on it were what was included with the GS package, the standard '65 cap with the spinner added to it. 

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

It is nice to see these wheel covers on a 65 GS.  The road wheels have become so common over the years ( and in addition to the Pontiac 8 lug wheels, probably the nicest wheels that GM ever produced) the wheel covers get my vote!

I also have a set of road wheels but I put the hubcaps on since they are such a rare sight these days. And since then, I've grown to appreciate them very much.

Al (dark blue '65) and I ( black '65) both had a lot of fun at the meet in spite of voluntarily subjecting our cars to the nerve-racking 400 point judging process. After an extremely thorough examination we both received awards albeit not the highest ones.

Still, it was a great meet with lots of interesting cars and people. Oh, and a nice 1950 Special Deluxe Jetback followed me home!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Don't know the difference?

Ben

They have to.  In order to fit a 65 / later wheel on the earlier hub, a register ring in the wheel must be knocked out (I say knocked out, but it's welded in) in order for the wheel to fit over the 63/64 hubs - both front and rear.  The 65 / later has a smaller front hub.  Removing them is not an easy feat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

They have to.  In order to fit a 65 / later wheel on the earlier hub, a register ring in the wheel must be knocked out (I say knocked out, but it's welded in) in order for the wheel to fit over the 63/64 hubs - both front and rear.  The 65 / later has a smaller front hub.  Removing them is not an easy feat.

Ed,

I know the owner of this car. I suspect he is "posing" this car exactly as he likes it per his preferences. Originally equipped with a beautiful set of cast aluminum wheels his preference is the chrome wheels. Although I really like the cast aluminum wheels, and thought he was making a mistake when changing them out, the contrast between the car`s color and the gloss black wheel webs  really made the car stand out in what was a beautiful gathering of Rivieras. For some reason the car was parked in the car corral all weekend and was not subjected to judging, let alone judging as "stock".

BTW, the wheel register rings are easily removed with a ballpean hammer and a short, stout punch. Takes maybe a minute after all 4 wheels are lined up? The rings are simply "tacked" in four places, very easily removed.

Tom

I contacted the BCA and managed to get a copy of the picture taken of my car in the meet photo lane. Hopefully, next time I won't have to be concerned with fixing a car problem and be able to get more car pictures taken, including one of my own car.

As a side note. I did enter my car in the 400 point judging. I know people get nervous about doing this and that included myself. I went back and forth several times before sending in my registration. I finally decided to go for it rather than wonder, what if? I found the experience not to be as terrifying as I thought it might be. The judges were very friendly, professional and courteous. Now that it is over I am glad I did it. I did manage to come away with a silver award. I was very happy with that as I knew I would get several mandatory deductions for tires, clamps, battery, dual master cylinder, etc. These are things I know I will not change. I did request a copy of my judging sheets and should be getting those soon. It will be interesting to see what other things the judges found. 

Bill

Riviera BCA Meet 2017.jpg

IMG_2938.JPG

• Like 4

Hi Bill,

looks a very nice example as I'm a bit partial to Arctic White. Do you have other pictures you could share as I'm interested as to what makes yours a standout from others in the same colour. 

Rodney

3 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Bill,

looks a very nice example as I'm a bit partial to Arctic White. Do you have other pictures you could share as I'm interested as to what makes yours a standout from others in the same colour. 

Rodney

2 hours ago, whitewatersky said:

Congratulations 

Thanks for the kind words guys. Rodney I have attached some more pictures. I am not sure what you are looking for so I attached a mixture. Let me know if there is something specific you were looking for. I also included a shot of my 4-note horns installed. You were helpful in my getting those installed. In the picture of my interior you will see something I'm sure I got a deduction for. I have a 2 color interior. The previous owner for some reason reupholstered the seats in white instead of the silver they should have been. I am a stock guy and feel I should reupholster with the correct silver. That being said I get so many compliments on the interior color combination that I hesitate to change. Oh, and there's also my wife saying if you change those seats I will kill you. I agree, Arctic White is the best on any continent. 

Bill

Riv 7.jpg

Riv 10.jpg

Riv 12.jpg

IMG_2034.JPG

Riv 2.jpg

Riv 5.jpg

IMG_2767.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, Riviera63 said:

I contacted the BCA and managed to get a copy of the picture taken of my car in the meet photo lane. Hopefully, next time I won't have to be concerned with fixing a car problem and be able to get more car pictures taken, including one of my own car.

As a side note. I did enter my car in the 400 point judging. I know people get nervous about doing this and that included myself. I went back and forth several times before sending in my registration. I finally decided to go for it rather than wonder, what if? I found the experience not to be as terrifying as I thought it might be. The judges were very friendly, professional and courteous. Now that it is over I am glad I did it. I did manage to come away with a silver award. I was very happy with that as I knew I would get several mandatory deductions for tires, clamps, battery, dual master cylinder, etc. These are things I know I will not change. I did request a copy of my judging sheets and should be getting those soon. It will be interesting to see what other things the judges found. 

Bill

Congratulations Bill!

Very nice looking '63!

I did the 400 point judging a few years ago with a couple of mine as you did, and as you said, I knew wasn't going to change anything, I just wanted to see what happened. It was interesting for sure.

The judging sheets can be informative, or at least interesting, it is different than the ROA's peer judging that is for certain.  

18 minutes ago, Rivman said:

Congratulations Bill!

Very nice looking '63!

I did the 400 point judging a few years ago with a couple of mine as you did, and as you said, I knew wasn't going to change anything, I just wanted to see what happened. It was interesting for sure.

The judging sheets can be informative, or at least interesting, it is different than the ROA's peer judging that is for certain.  

Randall,

Thank you for the nice comments. One of the things I do like about the 400 point judging is that you are only competing against yourself. What you do with that information is up to you and you are the captain of the ship. On the other hand, the recognition of your peers is a very great honor as well. Either situation, whatever the outcome, it is always a fun, rewarding experience interacting with fellow Buick/Riviera lovers. I also have to thank you for your help with the ground work for my 4 note horn installation. Thanks for the detailed, accurate measurement pictures. 

Bill

Thanks Bill for the extra photos, great to see the big four notes now installed. It looks absolutely immaculate in the photos, everything fits properly. Looks like brand new.

Like to be a fly on the wall to see what you do to clean and detail it before an event. It's nice to find out  all those little things that owners like yourself do that bring a car up to the standard of yours.

BTW I have now installed the lid of the air cleaner with the 445 Wildcat so it is in line with the snorkel . In other words It is skewed slightly toward the right. I think I saw this orientation of the lid on a sales brochure or other Riviera literature just recently. Perhaps you might know or others could chime in.

Many thanks for the reply! Rodney

And once your missus has killed you after changing the seats, will she be selling your car ??? ?????

The 

14 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Thanks Bill for the extra photos, great to see the big four notes now installed. It looks absolutely immaculate in the photos, everything fits properly. Looks like brand new.

Like to be a fly on the wall to see what you do to clean and detail it before an event. It's nice to find out  all those little things that owners like yourself do that bring a car up to the standard of yours.

BTW I have now installed the lid of the air cleaner with the 445 Wildcat so it is in line with the snorkel . In other words It is skewed slightly toward the right. I think I saw this orientation of the lid on a sales brochure or other Riviera literature just recently. Perhaps you might know or others could chime in.

When you put your breather on, just put the base on without the filter or the top in place.  You'll see two tabs on the mouth of the base that align with two protrusions on the neck of the carb - flat edge to flat edge.

When the base is installed correctly, it cannot be rotated either direction.  Once the base is in place, put the filter in, and orient the top so it can be read from the front of the car.

Ed

There was a 63 in the LA craigslist last year that was silver with a silver interior and white seats. I suspect it was done like that for the same reason... no silver seat covers when it was done. It was a good looking combination. A silver/ silver car seems a little overwhelming, but it's grown on me.