Sign in to follow this  
Riviera63

Rivieras At The 2017 BCA National Meet

Riviera63    51

Hi,

My brother-in-law and I attended the 2017 BCA National Meet in Brookfield WI this last week in my 1963 Riviera. It was an eventful and satisfying trip. This was my first time at a BCA event. I was very impressed with the kindness, friendliness and enthusiasm of all of the BCA members we met. We did renew some old acquaintances from previous trips to ROA International Meets and last years trip to the Back to the Bricks event in Flint, MI. We also made some new acquaintances that we hope we can rekindle in the future. Our arrival at the meet was delayed by some car trouble on the way down so that we basically lost all of Thursday but, that is a story for another time. I did not snap as many pictures as I would have liked as a good share of our time was spent conferring with Buick minds in trying to solve our car dilemma. I did snap some shots of Rivieras in attendance but, not all of them. I even neglected to snap a picture of my own car at the meet. Also included are a couple of shots of a 1966 Buick Skylark GS. This car belongs to Chuck Anderson a member of this forum as he also has a silver 1963 Riviera. His tag here on the forum is Chasander. I had the pleasure of meeting Chuck and seeing both of his cars last year at the Back to the Bricks in Flint. Chuck has owned his Skylark since new and it is a beauty. I hope you enjoy the pictures and if you have any questions about the BCA meet I would be happy to answer them.

Bill

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

• Like 5

jframe    40

That Navy Blue 65 is the mac daddy as as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 1

RivNut    902

All nice looking cars but I have to ask myself why some 63 and 64 owners put a set of 65 and later rally wheels on their car then pose it as stock?

Riviera63    51

Just another note I forgot to mention about Chuck's 66 Skylark GS. It came from the factory with a 4 speed mated to that 401. A combination that I'm sure a lot of us would really like to have or at the very least try out.

Bill

DShip    78
20 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

I believe the Midnight Blue 65 GS is the same one that took best of show at the ROA meet in Lexington, KY?

If it is, then it's Al and Cheryl Schmidt's of WI Rivi.

Riviera63    51
10 minutes ago, DShip said:

If it is, then it's Al and Cheryl Schmidt's of WI Rivi.

Yes, that was the Schmidt's car. 

RivNut    902

Do Al  and Cheryl still own the same car but in Coral.  If I remember correctly,  the Coral one won best of Show in Branson.

68RIVGS    41

Al changes Riviera so often, it's hard to stay current with the fleet !

DShip    78
1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Do Al  and Cheryl still own the same car but in Coral.  If I remember correctly,  the Coral one won best of Show in Branson.

It was showcased as "display only" by Al at the 2016 ROA St. Charles, IL, meet I believe.

johnrex    3

The coral Riviera, was BOS in Branson is a 1964! I agree with Ship that it was display only in St Charles as I was parked next to him. Beautiful car

bodayguy    36
17 hours ago, RivNut said:

All nice looking cars but I have to ask myself why some 63 and 64 owners put a set of 65 and later rally wheels on their car then pose it as stock?

Also that black 65 has hub caps. I figured all GS cars came with the rally wheels??

68RIVGS    41
13 minutes ago, bodayguy said:

Also that black 65 has hub caps. I figured all GS cars came with the rally wheels??

Pretty sure the chrome road wheels were an option and not part of the GS package ?

Rivman    68
2 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

Pretty sure the chrome road wheels were an option and not part of the GS package ?

You are correct Randy, the road wheels were an additional option.

The hubcaps that are on it were what was included with the GS package, the standard '65 cap with the spinner added to it. 

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)

Pat Curran    53

It is nice to see these wheel covers on a 65 GS.  The road wheels have become so common over the years ( and in addition to the Pontiac 8 lug wheels, probably the nicest wheels that GM ever produced) the wheel covers get my vote!

Edited by Pat Curran
Revised content (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Rivdrivn    65
15 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

It is nice to see these wheel covers on a 65 GS.  The road wheels have become so common over the years ( and in addition to the Pontiac 8 lug wheels, probably the nicest wheels that GM ever produced) the wheel covers get my vote!

I also have a set of road wheels but I put the hubcaps on since they are such a rare sight these days. And since then, I've grown to appreciate them very much.

Al (dark blue '65) and I ( black '65) both had a lot of fun at the meet in spite of voluntarily subjecting our cars to the nerve-racking 400 point judging process. After an extremely thorough examination we both received awards albeit not the highest ones.

Still, it was a great meet with lots of interesting cars and people. Oh, and a nice 1950 Special Deluxe Jetback followed me home!

• Like 3

JZRIV    533
3 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

Oh, and a nice 1950 Special Deluxe Jetback followed me home!

Congrats on the 50 Steve! So you are diving into the 50s. Pics. We need pics

Rivdrivn    65
3 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Congrats on the 50 Steve! So you are diving into the 50s. Pics. We need pics

Apparently so. Come on in, the water's fine

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

• Like 2

JZRIV    533

Looks in beautiful condition. Love the front end and visor

Thanks to all for the nice comments about my midnight blue '65 GS and coral mist '64.  In addition to these cars, Cheryl and I also have a very nice triple black '70 that will be at the meet in Overland Park.  Hope to see you all there!

• Like 2

RivNut    902
12 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Don't know the difference?

Ben

They have to.  In order to fit a 65 / later wheel on the earlier hub, a register ring in the wheel must be knocked out (I say knocked out, but it's welded in) in order for the wheel to fit over the 63/64 hubs - both front and rear.  The 65 / later has a smaller front hub.  Removing them is not an easy feat.

• Like 1