1942 Buick Sports Custom

Hi guys, I picked up this car a little over a year ago it was being restored by a gentleman that was strictly into Buicks. Unfortunately he passed away and the guy I bought it from got it from that guy's widow only for the rebuilt engine and tranny and was going to scrap the rest (couldn't let that happen). Since it was in mid-restoration a bunch of parts were lost so all I have is basically a shell with some interior convertible trim that I am guessing is worth more than the actual car now, hahah. Story goes it was supposedly built for a movie in the '50s, but really, I think it was just someone's Sport Custom. Anyway, is there any way of knowing it's an actual '42 and is there anyway of knowing what body style it was? Unfortunately the ID tag is gone and all I have is the serial. Does anyone recognize this car? I'd love to know more history about it. Thanks!

5963025dcb293_2016-03-1922_36_02.thumb.jpg.8503affd4be48f704946f18c699c94dd.jpg

2016-03-18 16.56.36.jpg

2016-03-18 16.56.48.jpg

2016-03-18 16.56.57.jpg

2016-03-18 16.57.11.jpg

2016-03-18 16.57.20.jpg

2016-03-19 22.35.50.jpg

2016-03-19 22.35.57.jpg

2016-03-19 22.36.07.jpg

2016-03-19 22.36.13.jpg

2016-07-22 07.10.38.jpg

2016-07-22 07.10.49.jpg

2016-07-22 07.11.02.jpg

Edited by Moondog13 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Do you have any idea how rare an original 1942 Buick 56C or 76C is?  Go find some hens teeth.

No idea, hence my posting here. I'm not claiming to have the rarest car in the world or anything I just need some help identifying this old custom. It's titled as a '42 and there's nothing for me to go by to disprove it isn't a '42 unless someone here knows about some year specific things to a '42 that might help me idenify it with what I have. For all I know this is a '46 hardtop that someone threw convertible pieces at. I'm new to Buicks so please forgive my ignorace and show me.

Looks to me like you found a car that is half way to becoming a beautiful butterfly.

Too late and very costly to "restore" this one, but well on it's way to becoming a cool California cruiser

Still a lot of work, and you would be finishing somebody else's dream, but you could add your own touches and have a "one of one".

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLYER15015 said:

Looks to me like you found a car that is half way to becoming a beautiful butterfly.

Too late and very costly to "restore" this one, but well on it's way to becoming a cool California cruiser

Still a lot of work, and you would be finishing somebody else's dream, but you could add your own touches and have a "one of one".

Mike in Colorado

Thanks Mike! I couldn't agree more, too late for this one unless someone reaaaally wants to restore it over the next 20 years but it will definitely make a cool cruiser! I'd like to find someone with more pictures of it in its prime, I think it would be cool to restore it to what it once was, a '40s- early '50s Sports Custom. With some personal touches of course! ^__^

Hmmm, at the very least the firewall/windshield frame appear to be true convertible pieces from comparing to Google Images. It has a little lip and a hole on each end if I remember correctly, I'm out of the country right now so I can't go take better images at the moment.

5963025607383_2016-03-1816_57_11.jpg.5796ece2a5b783638b24738533462f9f.jpg

4 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Moondog, that would be one awesome custom, hope you continue with it and keep us posted. Any thought as to what running gear you might go with? Where is the car now?

Thank you Mr. Earl! I am definitely not letting this one go, as I let one other custom slip away from me once and I regret it to this day! I want to stick with a Buick drivetrain whether it be another straight eight or Nailhead. The car is in Miami, FL and I'm in Medellin, Colombia for now working hard and saving money (it's a lot easier to live down here and save some dough making dollars as everything is so darn cheap, lots of classics too that no one wants laying around... that and I'm married to a beautiful Colombian woman, heheh). ^__^

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Moondog, I am going to leave this here in prewar for awhile as your question is more related to whether the car is indeed a '42 but would like to move it to the Modified forum later if OK with you.

Definitely ok by me Mr Earl! :D

Hahah, yea I'm pretty excited about it too and I'm happy to have saved it. I'll eventually have to locate a complete parts car to build this one, but that's ok. Considering it will be a '40s Buick parts car I think It will be best to go with you on that straight 8! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malo48 said:

Wow!  Did you get any other clues or info on its earlier history aside from it (maybe) being in a movie?

Unfortunately I don't have anything to go by, it was last titled in 1988 to a towing/limo company in Miami, I emailed the owner of the now defunct companies to see if he remembers any history or might have any pictures. The email went through so it's still active, I just hope he still check it!

Hmmm... I can't seem to be able to post anything on the thread. :/

Anyway, I hadn't really noticed that the B-pillars have some factory bracing so I think this was definitely a factory convertible. Now to figure out the year... :P

Ohhh, I tried to reply to you MrEarl but the site says I reached my posting limit for 24 hours, I guess that's why.

Edited by Moondog13
Can't post? (see edit history)
  • Like 2

First, any idea of the wheelbase? That might narrow it down. Also, the turn sigs/park lights in the front do not have the sweeparound trim parts of 1942, but since this was modified, I suppose we really don't have any real idea of how much it has changed. Prob your best best for identifying the year may reside in the frame area and what mechanicals it still has.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

It could have been either of the 1942 through 1948 Super or Roadmaster convertibles.  No hardtops were built until 1949 and that car was different.  The tailights, if original to this car, show it is not a special.  The long fenders ran 1942 through 1948.  The 1942 had two horizontal rows of moldings, while the 1946 - 1948 had only one.  Look for holes in the quarters, front fenders or doors that have been welded or leaded up.  The '42 had smaller parking lights than the 46 - 48, and had a teardrop molding spreading to the outside from the parking light.  There should be some small holes that are welded up to indicated they were once there.  A 1942 of these two models is extremely rare, few were built.  Once production really got started they built a number of 1946 cars, so they are not so rare.  The 1947 and 1948 cars are, by comparison, plentiful.  Hopefully this car started out as one of those, but the title is probably correct.

• Like 3

I think you're right, the title might just be correct, this thing is covered in lead in all the right places to say it is or was a '42. Tons of lead where the teardrops would have been as well as on the doors where the two moldings would be. In any case, it is sad to think that such a rare car was customized, but at the same token one must remember it was done when this thing was only about 10 years old which means it would be much like any of us personalizing a convertible Chevy Cavalier. It's something to remember a by-gone era by and, at least, the work was well done. I am going to try and preserve what might be the only bastard '42 Buick convertible in existence to as close as possible as when it was built in the '50s. Thanks with the help guys! ^__^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, g-g-g0 said:

Location and price?

It's in Coral Gables, Florida. I'm asking 5,500 obo... really negotiable. Comes with a clean title, a box of parts, dashboard, front end and doors. Is that a fair price? If not, send me yours! :)

What do you all think is a fair price for this car? Really a few unanticipated things popped up and it's best if it moves along...

Just to clarify, I don't want to get rich off of it nor do I think I am sitting on a goldmine, I could use the money right now and it could use a good home. I got word I will be getting laid off tomorrow sooo yea, I think a career change is in order and saving some money as well.    -__-

Well, since you asked...;)...this is obviously a BIG project to take on (with a nod to Mike in Colo :)). From the pictures to my view it teeters back and forth from a doable but very difficult project to a pile 'o' parts. A lot depends on the shape of the remaining mechanicals on the chassis and the chassis itself. Now I do not consider myself a restorer in the league of Gary W and others on here, but I am a pretty good mechanic and I sure can appreciate what it takes to make a parts cluster like this into a running and driving machine. And if it were me I sure would want to minimize the upfront costs until I knew what I had. So, bottom line, I personally would probably not want to put much more than a grand or so in it, and that assumes I could pick it up myself. Maybe not want you wanted to hear, and maybe I am full of mud as well, at least that is what others tell me from time to time!  :lol:

BTW, this is not an offer! my '40 and Triumph keep me plenty busy as it is!!

Cheers, Dave

Thanks Gary! Nope, that sounds fine actually. I'd be happy with 1500-2000, the chassis seems to have been gone through to some degree and is in nice shape. But yea, it will take an entire parts car to get this one back together. I think it will be a great project for someone, but that someone better be in love with it! Hahah

36 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Moondog, a bit confused with all the disassembly pictures. Can you post the one(s) of its current state?

btw, sorry to hear of your layoff 

Hey Mr. Earl, it's ok, it happens. Time for a career change anyway, scary stuff but to be honest I think it might be a god send. 

So right now the front clip and doors are still off. Those are sitting indoors with all the parts I have for it in A/C to prevent any further rust, the body was spray bombed for the same reason but I don't have a garage so it's under the best car cover and tarp I could buy.

19665643_10213684986149071_1338360627518876737_n.jpg

19702282_10213684858625883_8434651261016747809_n.jpg

• Like 1