63 weekend updates

Guest Kaber

Guest Kaber

Hey guys!

This weekend I finally bypassed our problematic hydraulic brake light switch. I have had to replace our hydraulic switch 3 times, the last one with a lo pressure one. Still about every 6 months the brake pedal requires much effort to get the lamps to come on. I replaced the sockets and grounded them separately, still no bueno! So I ordered a switch for a 64 Riviera from Rock Auto. I looked at the pedal assy and designed in CAD a bracket to mount the switch to the existing brake pedal mounting structure. Pretty simple bracket, one 90 degree bend in a piece of approx .080" thick sheet metal and (2) 1/4-20 PEM nuts. The hard part was drilling the holes for the bracket to mount, the vintage steel is tough!!! I used a pneumatic 90 degree drill and about 3 different sized bits to make the 3/8" holes (I wanted some adjustment in the mounting screws. I attached it with (2) 1/4-20 button head cap screws & lock washers. The switch then mounted in the folded part and is retained with the 2 nuts that were supplied with the switch. It is directly in line with the lever arm of the brake pedal. I then cut off my factory terminal in the engine compartment and ran 2 wires thru a grommet in the fire wall (same 90 degree drill for that hole). I crimped on 2 blade connectors to the wires in the interior and plugged in the switch. I strain relieved them in an adel clamp attached to one of the mounting bolts. It seems to function as expected and I think my son will finally have reliable brake lamps!

Part 2

I finally was able to use the extra console piece I bought from Ed. I had a hole machined in to accept the tach in the suggested location. Sadly when test fitting the tach, I dropped it and had to send it out for repairs to Bob's Speedometer service. I mounted it in the tach and exchanged the top plate of the console. It looks like it grew there! Everything is wired up and working as expected!

Thought you guys might be interested , especially in the brake lamp switch!

Thanks, Kaber

IMG_8932.JPG

IMG_8933.JPG

IMG_8934.JPG

IMG_8936.JPG

IMG_8940.JPG

Edited by Kaber (see edit history)

Hi Kaber,

from what the photos show, the switch activates off the pedal arm, adjustment via the thread on the switch. 

Is is this correct?

Looks easy peasy conversion.

Guest Kaber
5 hours ago, telriv said:

You could just get a STOCK set-up from a '64 or '65 & not have gone through the exercise. But, it helps to "Hone" your fabrication skills.

But this cost me nothing and I didn't have to chase parts. The switch is a 64 Riviera. Kaber