ROA International Meet – Overland Park KS, June 25-28, 2018

Rivman

We are moving east to the Heartland of America. Our host hotel, the DoubleTree by Hilton is in Overland Park, KS, a suburb of the Kansas City area. The dates will be June 25 - 28 (Monday through Thursday).

Details including the schedule of events, and the registration form will be posted on the ROA website at www.rivowners.org as soon as it becomes available.

59614c0d81d9a_2018MeetArt.thumb.jpg.0d56b94c40b9a485b651805fcfda932b.jpg

It's never too early to mark your calendar and make plans to join us at what is expected to be a very large event.

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• MrEarl pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

Another quick addition, actually a correction ...

I was informed the second paragraph of the info on the website for the meet was incorrect, see below.

Tours and activities are being finalized. Kansas City, Missouri is only 15 minutes away and offers a city center with many attractions. The most famous is the World War 1 Museum and Memorial. Others include a museum on the history of the Mississippi Missouri River, as well as others featuring art, history, sports, and jazz. Access to these attractions is made possible by a light rail within the city. City center also includes many bars and restaurants.

I was told you CAN go see Mississippi River museums from Overland Park, however, it would be around a four-hour drive to get there.

Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another scenic route ("is this really Kansas, I thought Kansas was flat?") is to take US 24 east out of Colby, then pick up KS 18 just outside of Hill City.  It ends in Junction City where you pick up I-70 for the rest of the trip east.  Gotta' stop in Lucas and visit the Garden of Eden.

If you're coming up I-35 from Dallas, Oklahoma City, or Wichita, get off I-35 at Emporia and take Old Highway 50 from Emporia to Ottawa.  Stop at Guy and Mae's Tavern in WIlliamsburg for some tasty Bar B Que.  Voted one of Kansas' "8 Wonders of Kansas" for cuisine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 5:34 PM, Rivman said:

It looks like Ray has gotten the tours set and the registration form complete and posted on the website ...

5a1de3029180d_REGISTRATIONFORM2018b.thumb.jpg.9d5407bffea6648d063dc6eac3c41d64.jpg

Here is a link to the fillable PDF of the Registration form ...

Click here for the registration form

As said before, it's never to early to mark your calendar.

I will fly to the ROA meet in Kansas City. What airports best to fly to for the meet?

thank you

Red Riviera Bob

55 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

I will fly to the ROA meet in Kansas City. What airports best to fly to for the meet?

thank you

Red Riviera Bob

The Kansas City International airport.  It's the only commercial airport in the metro KC area.  When you're looking to book your flight,  the code for Kansas City is:  MCI  (stands for Mid Continent International)

Ed

On 1/4/2018 at 1:18 PM, RivNut said:

The Kansas City International airport.  It's the only commercial airport in the metro KC area.  When you're looking to book your flight,  the code for Kansas City is:  MCI  (stands for Mid Continent International)

Ed

Ed, thank you. I get confused with states that split airports, city names, etc. I get lost real easy 

Don't worry about states.  Kansas City is a generic name for all of the Kansas and Missouri cities that make up the metropolitan area.  There is a Kansas City, Kansas and a Kansas City, Missouri.  The name of the street that separates them is 

- wait for it. 

STATE LINE ROAD.      How original

We'll be in Overland Park, Kansas which is a part of the metro area.  All of the streets in both states share the same numbers for the east/west streets.  MCI is on the I-435 loop on the north side of "town" and our hotel is on the I-435 loop on the south side of "town." If you get lost, you must be driving with tour eyes closed.  ?  It's just one big town.  ?

As the time gets closer, I'll post explicit directions.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Suppose a fellow wanted to attend only one day, but that one day was not Thursday (i.e. no show, no banquet).  Would that require the $80 registration?

I don't know if that has been asked before, but if it has it would probably be best to send Ray an email, he would be the best one to answer that question.

• 1 month later...

Here are some, hopefully, helpful travel instructions that will take some hassle out of getting to the Doubletree Hotel in Overland Park.  Hopefully we'll also get these into an upcoming Riview.  

Travel suggestions for getting to the 2018 International ROA Meet in Overland Park, Kansas by Ed Raner #279

Gord Wolfgang and I want to relate some of our experiences about getting to the Double Tree Hotel in Overland Park, KS with the least amount of hassle. What we’re sharing is what we’ve personally experienced in driving to and from the area on routes that may differ from what you’ll find on Google Maps, or your GPS. The routes we’re suggesting are 1) less traveled, 2) better roads, 3) may not be the quickest but avoid rush hour traffic, and 4) easier on your classic Riviera. Get maps of Kansas, Missouri, and Kansas City and follow along. The Doubletree hotel is just south of I-435 in Overland Park at the intersection of US-69 and College Blvd. These instructions get you to I-435 and US-69. Instructions from here to the hotel are at the bottom of this page.

1 – If you’re flying into MCI (Kansas City International Airport) and renting a car: All fliers will need to find the shuttle outside your terminal that will take you to your car rental agency’s lot. Once there, ask directions to get onto Mexico City Ave. Go north on Mexico City Ave. and take the North 1-29 / West I-435 exit (St. Joseph/Topeka). After about two miles, take the South I-435, exit 17 (Topeka.) Stay on South I-435 until it loops to the east and becomes East I-435 (about 25 miles) When you cross the river, you’re leaving Missouri and entering Kansas.

2 – If you’re coming from the West on I-70: Get off of I-70 at KS Highway 10, exit 197, for Lecompton / Lawrence. Take K-10 towards Lawrence and follow it into Overland Park, about 40 miles, where it will blend into East I-435. Note: I-70 from Topeka to that exit is part of the Kansas Turnpike (I-335) and has a toll.

3- If you’re coming from the East on I-64: Do not take I-70 into down town St. Louis, that road is very congested. Instead stay on I-64 towards Wentzville, MO where you’ll pick up West I-70 – Left Exit 1A. As you near Kansas City, Take the South I-470 (exit 15A) and follow I-470 to West I-435. This will avoid down town.

4 – If you’re coming from the Chicago area: When you get to Springfield, IL, take US-36 highway west through Hannibal, MO to South I-35 at Cameron. MO. US-36 is called the CKC Expressway. CKC stands for Chicago Kansas City. It’s a four lane divided highway but it’s not an interstate. Now see #7.

5 – If you’re coming in from the South on I-35: Follow your GPS and it will take you to East I-435. Note: I-35 from the OK/KS line to Emporia, KS is part of the Kansas Turnpike (I-335) and has a toll.

6 – If you’re coming in from the South on I-49: Take it to West I-435

7 – If you’re coming in from the North on I-35: Consider taking West MO-152 at Liberty, Mo and drive to the west side of the I-435 loop. It’s 6 miles longer but you don’t go through down town Kansas City. (now see coming from the airport #1)

8- If you’re coming from the North on I-29: Take it to South I-435 (Topeka.) Once you’re on South I-435 see coming from the airport #1.

To the hotel: All routes coming off I-435 (East or West) will eventually exit onto South US-69. You’ll take US-69 for about a half a mile at which point you’ll want to take the left lane East College Blvd exit. Take College Blvd east to the light at Mastin Street. Turn north on Mastin and you’ll find the entrance to the hotel.

My Grandson, Max, and I will be making videos of how to get to the hotel. It’s very easy to get to the hotel but what we'll showing you is some insight into being in the correct lane at the correct time. The videos will be posted on YouTube under the titles of ROA 2018 event in Overland Park. As soon as we get them made and edited, I'll post them as an addendum to this thread.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Ed

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is the video that shows you what the drive is like on  I-435 to the hotel from all points east: I-70, I-49, and US 50 Hwy.

Here is the video that shows you what the drive is like on  I-435 to the hotel from all points north, south and west:  I-70, I-29, I-35, and the Kansas City International Airport.  In the narration, you'll hear me mention traffic coming in on K-10 from Lawrence and I-35 from the south.  If you read the instructions I posted previously, I suggested that you exit I-70 at the Lecompton exit and take K-10 around Lawrence and merge into I-435.  This is where you'll join in.  Same for the narration that refers to coming in from I-35 from the south.  I also suggested that if you're coming in from I-35 from the north, you take M0-150, at Liberty, MO, west and get on I-435 and go south rather than driving through downtown Kansas City.

These are also posted on YouTube. The key words for your search are "2018 ROA event driving directions"

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Yes, Thanks Ed, for posting all the driving directions and videos, I’m sure it will be of great assistance for those that are able to attend.

For those members that are able go, PLEASE, post pictures here in this thread for those of us that aren’t able to make it.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2018 at 5:15 AM, RivNut said:

Here are some, hopefully, helpful travel instructions that will take some hassle out of getting to the Doubletree Hotel in Overland Park.  Hopefully we'll also get these into an upcoming Riview.  

Travel suggestions for getting to the 2018 International ROA Meet in Overland Park, Kansas by Ed Raner #279

Gord Wolfgang and I want to relate some of our experiences about getting to the Double Tree Hotel in Overland Park, KS with the least amount of hassle. What we’re sharing is what we’ve personally experienced in driving to and from the area on routes that may differ from what you’ll find on Google Maps, or your GPS. The routes we’re suggesting are 1) less traveled, 2) better roads, 3) may not be the quickest but avoid rush hour traffic, and 4) easier on your classic Riviera. Get maps of Kansas, Missouri, and Kansas City and follow along. The Doubletree hotel is just south of I-435 in Overland Park at the intersection of US-69 and College Blvd. These instructions get you to I-435 and US-69. Instructions from here to the hotel are at the bottom of this page.

1 – If you’re flying into MCI (Kansas City International Airport) and renting a car: All fliers will need to find the shuttle outside your terminal that will take you to your car rental agency’s lot. Once there, ask directions to get onto Mexico City Ave. Go north on Mexico City Ave. and take the North 1-29 / West I-435 exit (St. Joseph/Topeka). After about two miles, take the South I-435, exit 17 (Topeka.) Stay on South I-435 until it loops to the east and becomes East I-435 (about 25 miles) When you cross the river, you’re leaving Missouri and entering Kansas.

2 – If you’re coming from the West on I-70: Get off of I-70 at KS Highway 10, exit 197, for Lecompton / Lawrence. Take K-10 towards Lawrence and follow it into Overland Park, about 40 miles, where it will blend into East I-435. Note: I-70 from Topeka to that exit is part of the Kansas Turnpike (I-335) and has a toll.

3- If you’re coming from the East on I-64: Do not take I-70 into down town St. Louis, that road is very congested. Instead stay on I-64 towards Wentzville, MO where you’ll pick up West I-70 – Left Exit 1A. As you near Kansas City, Take the South I-470 (exit 15A) and follow I-470 to West I-435. This will avoid down town.

4 – If you’re coming from the Chicago area: When you get to Springfield, IL, take US-36 highway west through Hannibal, MO to South I-35 at Cameron. MO. US-36 is called the CKC Expressway. CKC stands for Chicago Kansas City. It’s a four lane divided highway but it’s not an interstate. Now see #7.

5 – If you’re coming in from the South on I-35: Follow your GPS and it will take you to East I-435. Note: I-35 from the OK/KS line to Emporia, KS is part of the Kansas Turnpike (I-335) and has a toll.

6 – If you’re coming in from the South on I-49: Take it to West I-435

7 – If you’re coming in from the North on I-35: Consider taking West MO-152 at Liberty, Mo and drive to the west side of the I-435 loop. It’s 6 miles longer but you don’t go through down town Kansas City. (now see coming from the airport #1)

8- If you’re coming from the North on I-29: Take it to South I-435 (Topeka.) Once you’re on South I-435 see coming from the airport #1.

To the hotel: All routes coming off I-435 (East or West) will eventually exit onto South US-69. You’ll take US-69 for about a half a mile at which point you’ll want to take the left lane East College Blvd exit. Take College Blvd east to the light at Mastin Street. Turn north on Mastin and you’ll find the entrance to the hotel.

My Grandson, Max, and I will be making videos of how to get to the hotel. It’s very easy to get to the hotel but what we'll showing you is some insight into being in the correct lane at the correct time. The videos will be posted on YouTube under the titles of ROA 2018 event in Overland Park. As soon as we get them made and edited, I'll post them as an addendum to this thread.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Ed

PLEASE NOTE:

There is some construction on I-435 Westbound for those of you coming from the East on I-70, from the South on I-49, or from the East on US 50 HWY.  The construction is only about two miles from the hotel, BUT your exit onto US 69 HWY is right where the construction is.  Therefore:  When you get to the Nall Ave exit, be in the right hand through lane of I-435. (Don't get so far over that you get into the Metcalf Ave exit though. Stay in the right hand "through" lane.) The construction will split I-435 west bound into two separate two lane through lanes.  Before the split, stay in the right hand lanes marked for the exits for Antioch Road and Quivira Road.  The exit for US 69 HWY south is between those two named exits.  Just bear right and follow the way I showed you in the video.  When I made that video, the construction had not yet been started.

Kansas City streets are laid out like most all cities in the agricultural midwest.  They're laid out like a checker board.  North/South streets (named) all run parallel to each other. East /West streets (numbered) run parallel to each other.  N/S and E/W streets intersect at right angles.  Numbered streets have larger numbers as they go south.  Very few, but some E/W streets are named.  College Blvd happens to be one of these streets - of all the luck, wouldn't you just know it.  If the Johnson County Community College did not sit on that street, it would be 111th street.   So, if you get lost work you way back to College Blvd - other major east/west streets on either side of College Blvd are 103rd and 119th.  There are 8 numbered blocks per mile.  103rd is one mile too far north; 119th is one Mike too far south. Named streets that are one mile apart starting from the east are: Roe, Nall, Metcalf, Switzer, Quivira (now you've gone too far west,) Pflumm, and Lackman. If you get this far west, stop and ask for directions.

See you there.

Ed

PS - If you're coming from the airport or down I-29 from the north, DO NOT pay any attention to street names until you cross the KANSAS river.  You'll only confuse the issue.  If you're interested as to why, see me when you get here.

Is there, by any chance, a list of cars attending that would be for sale? I'm still looking for a '64/'65 Riv and was wondering is there was a place to look to see who was attending that might be selling?

3 hours ago, DShip said:

There is no for sale car corral at ROA National Meets.

Actually Dave, there is.

It just does not get used very much. The last meets I recall that had cars for sale were Hershey/Harrisburg 2010, there was one or two, and the same amount in Asheville in 2007.

There is NO "For Sale" signs allowed on the show field, but if any do register we do set up a separate car-corral.

1 hour ago, Rivman said:

There is NO "For Sale" signs aloud on the show field, but if any do register we do set up a separate car-corral.

Ah, that's what I now remember.  I knew there was some level of restriction or such!  Thanks for jogging my memory.

Edited by DShip (see edit history)

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, NC68Riviera said:

Looking forward to seeing pictures of attendees rides!  :wub:

Anyone in attendance get any pictures to post?

I'm sure we will see the meet pictures added to the ROA Photo Gallery but I was hoping we could get a sneak peak until that happens.

Anyone?

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 11:29 AM, Bdad said:

Is there, by any chance, a list of cars attending that would be for sale? I'm still looking for a '64/'65 Riv and was wondering is there was a place to look to see who was attending that might be selling?

Very light turn out.  Ray says the timing and place of the BCA event last week probably kept a lot of attendees away.  I saw some people taking pictures but not anyone who participates on this forum.  Looks like everyone might have to wait for the next Riview.

The only first gen that I saw for sale was a gold ‘63

Great pics, guys, thanks for sharing, but you're killing me here...

I attend a number of different car shows, meets, etc both local and regional, and to be honest, I'm ecstatic to see more than a couple classics Riv's at any one of these events. To have the opportunity, to see a 'gaggle' (??) of Rivieras, and nothing but, under beautiful blues skies, I can't imagine how many packs of "Mens Depends" I would need to attend one of these ROA events...?

Seriously, I tried to schedule attending this event  as I was travelling to eastern Canada on business last week, and if my business had been this week, (or the ROA meet last week) I would've easily (or somehow) puddle jumped flights my way home via Kansas...  but no such luck.

In lieu, I rented a car from Toronto, ON to drive to London, ON, (2.5hrs+/-) and picked up four ('64) complete spinners for the cast aluminium wheel covers, and two complete headlight housing/chrome grille assemblies that I found on-line, (kijiji dot ca) but the seller wasn't keen on shipping. All in very good condition, all for CDN$300 (US$226.) I then drove to Niagara Falls, for a couple days of touristing, and one business meeting so I could write-off the rental car...? All in all, a reasonably good compromise for missing this event...

Anyway, thanks again for sharing the pics, guys, great stuff...

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

Thanks Steve and Al!!!

Looks like a nice collection of Rivieras even with a light turn-out.

Just curious, did either of you get a shot of the dark blue Boattail parked next to the modified '65 with wire wheels in post #33? Just wanted to see a better picture of it if there is one available.

Thanks again,