1927 Studebaker Standard 6 Piston & ring assembly

Guest Coopersrace

Guest Coopersrace

I am taking over the restoration of my late father's 1927 Studebaker Roadster. I am ready to assemble the piston & ring assembly, which includes 4 rings and two expanders. I understand that the large expander fits behind the oil control ring (bottom ring) as it is the largest and won't fit anywhere else. Can someone advise me where the other narrow expander goes, as it seem to fit behind both of the middle rings?

IMG_0611.JPG

Guest Coopersrace
2 hours ago, automaschinewerks said:

I would think it should go under the second from bottom ring, which is essentially another oil scraper. follow any instructions that come in the ring package, any aftermarket ring set I have installed have an instruction sheet.

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately the rings and pistons were just in a plastic tray with no included instructions. This is the difficulty of taking on a half finished project.

check the wall thickness of the rings.  the expander will go under the ring with the thinnest dimension, and would be the extra oil scraper, to go in the third groove. check that thickness, but it looks like you got the rings in the right grooves. sometimes an oil scraper ring will have an undercut around the outside edge, to face down, in order to scrape the oil down the cylinder, but it doesn't look like your ring set has that feature.