1968 Riv Power Antenna

NC1968Riviera

Two questions:

1). Is the power antenna mast on a '68 Riv supposed to retract all the way into the fender or is it supposed to stop with about 6"-7" exposed?

2) How long is the mast supposed to be when fully extended?

I ask because my antenna lowers and stops with the top 6"-7" still exposed. When I extend it, the length from the fender to the ball tip is about 25". There is a pronounced thumping when the antenna reaches its full extended length or its fully retracted length.

40 minutes ago, NCRiviera said:

Two questions:

1). Is the power antenna mast on a '68 Riv supposed to retract all the way into the fender or is it supposed to stop with about 6"-7" exposed?

2) How long is the mast supposed to be when fully extended?

I ask because my antenna lowers and stops with the top 6"-7" still exposed. When I extend it, the length from the fender to the ball tip is about 25". There is a pronounced thumping when the antenna reaches its full extended length or its fully retracted length.

Hey Mike

All the power ants stick up more than manuals. Its a little ugly IMO. You may lower it some by getting in the fender and loosen/lower/torque.

My '67 ant. is HUGE. Its about 4' above body line. So, 25" does seem odd.

The ratchet "thump" at full retraction/extension is normal.

Power ones were preferred then as manuals got broken - usually by the local teen punks. :ph34r:

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

I'd be surprised if 68 was any different than 66-67. They should go down with about 1" to 1-1/2: sticking up give or take a little. As Paul said at full extension they seem about 48" long. Try helping it along when its extending and going down. If you can get it fully extended, clean it well. Use scotchbrite pad or similar then wipe WD-40 on it.

. . . sound like yours is not fully extending Mike !

My '68 PA is  about 4-5" retracted and extends to 48" above the largest mast section which protrudes above the chrome plated, fender power antenna escutcheon

I replaced the original mast with a supposedly correct NOS power antenna mast unit ( ...Grp.9.647 # 1382743) purchased at an early ROA meet in Denver, CO.

The original mast section was severely bent and required replacing when I refurbished the power antenna.

The  thumping, or clunking you hear is the adjustable slip clutch slipping when the antenna reaches minimum or maximum travel.

Power Antenna are covered in the '68 Buick Shop Manual, and I wrote two refurb write ups for very early issues of the Riview. 

All  2nd generation Riviera have the same power antenna, as Jason stated.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Very nice looking  '69 Pat, and that antenna appears to be almost flush to the fender top +/- 1" to 2" !

Makes me think my replacement mast was for a different model year power antenna, or maybe a GM universal  'one- size- fits- all',  as it protrudes 4"-5" when fully retracted ?

I'll have to check my 'spares' and compare - now where did I put those ?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/8/2017 at 12:27 PM, 68RIVGS said:

Very nice looking  '69 Pat, and that antenna appears to be almost flush to the fender top +/- !" to 2" !

Makes me think my replacement mast was for a different model year power antenna, or maybe a GM universal  'one- size- fits- all',  as it protrudes 4"-5" when fully retracted ?

I'll have to check my 'spares' and compare - now where did I put those ?

Two versions? Unlike Pat’s car, my ‘69 had an original power antenna that did not fully retract (5-6 inches left, I think) which is why I eventually changed it out. I bought the car more than 40 years ago and I’m quite certain it came from the factory that way. Here is a photo of it mostly extended back in the ‘80s.

0B8C9180-3C0D-4829-A407-1D0AF3B19ABD.jpeg

. . . even though this thread is over a year old !

Just checked my 'spare' PA Mike - it is lower like Pat's original and Steve's replacement pictures. (...roughly 1 1/2"), or almost out of sight.

My replacement antenna mast section now protrudes 4" above the peak in the fender, or roughly 5 1/2"". Fully extended it is about 55" tall.

I could have it retract lower (...per original), by shortening the lower portion on the 4 section mast, but that would become a "make-work" project !

That would necessitate removal of the power antenna and disassembly of the mast sections to remove approx. 4"" from the lower, large mast tube,

While it would be closer visually to "factory correct" , I am quite content to leave the antenna as it is now - it works perfectly,

and the protruding portion does not look all that bad, or visually detract from the appearance of the car.

The old adage "If it isn't broke, why try and fix it ?" makes good sense here !  

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, BBK said:

Hey, my antenna in my 1968 doesnt Work. Can I remove the antenna without to remove the wheel housing? 

Yes  BBK -  just make sure the fuse is good' and you have +12 VDC power going to the antenna switch.

Remove the bolt holding the bracket on the base of the PA inside the right hand wheel well.

The motor is grounded with a spring steel clip that secures the mast housing  to the chrome escutcheon at the top of the antenna tube mast

Unplug the motor harness connector, and disconnect the radio antenna lead from the mast tube housing.

The power antenna assembly can then be removed downward.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:20 PM, 68RIVGS said:

Yes  BBK -  just make sure the fuse is good' and you have +12 VDC power going to the antenna switch.

Remove the bolt holding the bracket on the base of the PA inside the right hand wheel well.

The motor is grounded with a spring steel clip that secures the mast housing  to the chrome escutcheon at the top of the antenna tube mast

Unplug the motor harness connector, and disconnect the radio antenna lead from the mast tube housing.

The power antenna assembly can then be removed downward.

I have a skinny arm but I can't fit it into the fender cavity to do the steps you outlined above.

. . . mine must be skinnier than yours Mike - it worked 4 me !

The bolt on the base mounting bracket is easily reached inside the right front wheel well ?

The wiring harness connector plug is easily accessible, as is the radio antenna cable  screw on connector in the engine compartment?

The mast tube can be released from the chrome fender escutcheon by loosening the bolt that secures it with a long extension on a 1/4" ratchet ?

No need to remove the chrome escutcheon, unless you are replacing it ?

If you remove the plastic baffle at the rear of the right fender opening, it will give you a little more manoeuvering room,

and you can see the top of the mast tube where it attaches to the chrome fender escutcheon !

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for my late reply. 

Today I started to remove the antenna and surprisingly it was easy and I don't need to remove the wheel housing. For mounting I only put my Riv on jack stands. 

Stupidly somebody remove the electric antenna and install a manual. So now I know why the antenna switch isn't working. IMG_20180804_125715.thumb.jpg.4f6e7e3d98baf8e0e65e11a35d1fa1e2.jpg

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, BBK said:

Hey 

I got a power antenna with broken mast and nylon insert. Can I got a repair kit anywhere? 

Get in touch with Barney Eaton who more or less resides on the Reatta forum.  He may be able to repair it or give you information on how to or where to get it repaired.