'35, '36 Hubcap Diameter?

I found this great old piece on eBay. Says it's a locking hub cap for the spare tire.  Looks like the same script on my '38 caps but all '38's are either in the trunk or behind the seat so it has to be for an earlier application. Listing says this cap is 7-3/4 diameter across the front and 6-5/6 inside. Mine are 9 inches across the front. So are the earlier caps smaller in diameter? just thought it was a cool piece you don't really see every day. Maybe someone here can use it? (it's not mine).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-1936-1937-PLYMOUTH-LOCKING-SPARE-TIRE-HUBCAP-WHEEL-COVER-ACCESSORY-/292145694944?hash=item44053d88e0:g:ST8AAOSwcj5ZOxFM&vxp=mtr

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow,

The "country traveler"  really filled in the info on the hubcaps.  My thinking on your locking hubcap.  Was there an application for side mount spares?  If so, then the hubcap was a further deterrent for theft.  Would the "country traveler" have a good source for restoration of my 36 P2 hubcaps?  I am in San Diego and would like to find a plating shop that can do the old fashioned plating with out me going to Tijuana.  The hubcaps (I believe) are skinned in a brass cover that can be carefully removed, creases and dents attended to, polished and then plated.  

The proper way is for copper to be laid on think then polished, nickle applied (again thick) then polished and then chromed.  My old chrome shop use to do this method but has since sold out to a new owner who doesn't want to continue with this type of work.  SO much for the old world craftsmanship that we once knew.  EPA and CARB (California Air Resources Board) have really  ruined the plating shops along with the painters here.  You cannot even get a lot of products that we had available to us here in la la land.  You have to go to Phoenix or  Vegas to get products that we once had on the shelf here.  So goes the world.

Randiego

When you remove those skins, it is best to anneal the brass first, 'else it cracks on the edges. Over time and with changing stresses in use, they work harden. They were also work hardened by simply rolling them onto the hub cap body.

Were the Canadian and American wheels the same on these years? I ask because Canadian and American Dodge 8 wheels are different with different hub caps - Canadian ones are larger.