One of those mysteries in life

Tom_Overfield

So last a week ago was was driving my car for about 15 miles on the interstate, going about 60, every thing great, no over heating, great oil pressure etc.  Off interstate, made it 4 blocks at 40 mph and the dreaded Bang!  Then , missing and pouring white smoke out of the tail pipe.  

No big deal, blown headgasket, how wrong I was.  Pulled the right head and found two pieces of metal pounded into the combustion chamber of that polished head causing a pretty big hole ,  pulled both valves on that cylinder seats were fine, checked all 10 other valves no issues with seats or valve heads.  I did replace one of the valves in the damaged cylinder as it had a slight mark in it.  The only thing that makes any sense is something had to be the intake manifold and after 524 miles, finally shook it self loose and got sucked into the cylinder, up comes the piston and shoves it into the head.  Luckily I had another good right side head, polished and ready to install. A few photos to follow

Tom

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

I feel your pain brother!!  I have broken about everything else on my engine over the years, Did you find the offending nut or bolt?? Good thing that aluminum gave first!--Hang that head on the wall in the garage, as soon as you

"cool off"  or take it out back and put a round through it!       You will fix it!!  and be back on the road in no time, and it happened before August!!, close to home....oh well