Carburetor problems

Having a problem starting my 1928 Studebaker Dictator.  Car will start if gas is shot into air intake....but quits shortly thereafter.  Took carb off and took apart to see if a jet was plugged.  Cleaned the best I could.  Did not solve my problem.  Rebuilt the fuel pump two years ago.  Installed a inline fuel pump for priming purpose.  Believe the carb is receiving fuel.   Have had the car for about 6 years and it has always been a good starting car....once primed after sitting over winter months.   Would be grateful for any insight/suggestions.  Thank you.....     the carburetor is a Markel TSX945SL...........is this the original carb Studebaker installed?

Edited by deburt65 (see edit history)

I have never heard of a Markel carb. The early series model GE Dictators came with a Stromberg T-1 and the later ones the Stromberg TX2. I could provide data on those two but have nothing on the Markel. I have been told that the Zenith Series 267 is a good universal updraft carb that has worked well but have no personal experience with it.

37 minutes ago, deburt65 said:

Oops.....it is a Marvel Schebler. TSX945sl.   I am guessing that the original Stromberg carb was not repairable and this one was a fair substitute.  And easier to find.  It was working just fine before it started giving me trouble.

Why do you think it is the carb and not ignition?

I think it more likely that the original Stromberg was unknown to the person who put the Marvel Schebler on, so they put on something they knew worked and cost nothing. Remember these cars were worth nothing for a long time so no-one spent any money on them.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

In the process of installing the new fuel pump is it possible that you got the arm underneath the cam lobe? Take off the line to the carb and crank the engine over with the key off to see if you are getting gas to the carb.

Mine stranded us on a county road switching drivers when I was going to teach Chanin to drive it. I checked for fuel at the carb and it was okay. Finally started after tapping on carb with wrench so I assume a sticky float. Never happed before or since.  

Yesterday while trying to load on the trailer mine ran out of gas in the carb because I was taking too long centering up on the ramp. The tank was nearly full. I had roll back off of the trailer and finally prime the carb with gas to get it back going. I think the fuel pump is weak, go figure. At any rate I plan to install an electric and connect it to a switch so I can kick it in if needed. I am pretty sure fuel will flow with it off but I will test first. 

Edited by keninman
clairification (see edit history)