pint4

Outside Rear View Mirrors-37 Packard 120 Conv Coupe

The restoration of my1937 Packard is 99.9% complete and ready to take for a drive. The problem is being able to see behind me.  No place to attach outside rear view mirrors and have them look right.  Searching for an original pair but have not had any located to date.  I thought about rolling the window down a bit and clamping a mirror to the glass.  No sidemounts so sidemount attached mirrors are not an option.  Has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it?  Thanks.

20170609_185329.jpg

20170609_190046.jpg

20170609_191214.jpg

Beautiful car.  From the angle of the photos doesn't even look like you have a rear window in the top, but that can't be right.

There were accessory mirrors made that clamped onto the leading metal edge of the door, and that's what you should be looking for. And yes, unless you can figure a way to pad it correctly, it may mar the paint, but at least you can see behind you.  Here's one source:

https://picclick.com/vintage-Drip-Rail-Mount-rear-View-MIRROR-Hot-222081190485.html  

Auburn speedsters have that problem as well. The guys that want the mirror bite the bullet and mount it to the windshield frame.  Personally, I just couldn't do it. 

I think The Filling Station have them too. I have padded mine out with thick gasket paper as a trial. You need two pairs of hands to get them on without damaging anything. This only work if you have enough space around the door edge, so try with cardboard of the right thickness first.

The King Bee mirror associated with open GM cars of the '30's and '40's would work well, I have 2 types.  One clamps on, and the clamp would need widening to go around the vent window surround.  The other is screwed on and it would be necessary to drill and tap holes in the surround or windshield post and possibly modify the mirror contact area.   I have an assorted few mirrors and clamps available, needing glass and chrome, if interested.   There is also one clamp-on type not pictured that has good chrome and glass, but isn't up to fine point judging quality. 

MVC-310S.JPG

MVC-311S.JPG

Edited by Dave Henderson
goof (see edit history)

There must be a way to affix a fabricated bracket to the windshield posts using existing screw placements. Then, you can attach a mirror to the bracket.

With all our high tech epoxy adhesives would there be some way of gluing a clamp on mirror to the windshield post uf you removed the clamp part???  Just a thought. 

All the pictures I see either have no mirror or are mounted on the windshield post with screws.  I wouldn't want to do it that way and it looks like there is hardly any space to mount one anywhere else.

Good luck in your search to make your driving more enjoyable.

Edited by Tinindian (see edit history)

Take a look at the rear view mirror on this '41 LeBaron; it mounts on the short cowl section between the hood and door.  These Packard accessory mirrors for this era Packards were reproduced by Jay Fisher who unfortunately is no longer in the business and to my knowledge no one has bought his tooling.  Whether Packard actually offered a mirror mount like this for the earlier cars I don't know but regardless it may give you an idea about an alternative place to mount the mirror.

41_Packard_LeBaron_Sprt_Brham_DV-07-AI_01.jpg

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

Some here may cringe at how I solved the outside rear view mirror mounting on my 115C. I bought a pair of "Peep" mirrors commonly used on hot rods and street rods. I mounted them on the upper front of the vertical vent window frame. I drilled and tapped for 10-32 machine screws. These holes are on the inside and not visible from the outside. If the mirrors are removed in the future, the holes can be filled with a short machine screw and will not take away from the exterior appearance. I had to fabricate a new bracket to fit over the wide window frame out of some "U" channel aluminum stock. The mirrors are mounted high and close to the window and both provide good rear vision. The only drawback is the vents window will only open 90 degrees because of the mirrors placement. I have found this not to be a problem and a small price for good rear vision. Hope this is of some help. JWL

115C.jpg

Edited by JWLawrence (see edit history)