Wrecking yards

35cz8

My wife and I will be traveling next week and while on the road, we would like to stop at wrecking yards that are along the way.  If anyone knows of any good wrecking yards - that have cars from 1930 to 1963 - that are in or near Farmington, NM,  Cortez, NM, Montrose, CO, and  Grand Junction, CO - I would sure like to know about them so I can stop in for a look at what they have.  Thanks in advance for any information.  I have MOPARs from 1930 to 1967 and one lonely 1963 Ford Galaxie and enjoy looking for parts as we travel.

Bob

33 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Who says women wouldn't enjoy that! Ok, maybe most wouldn't but some of us would. ?

I know plenty of women who would prefer to stay far away from salvage yards. I prefer that name to wrecking or junk yard. My daughters wouldn't mind so I think it's like you. they grew up with dad working the cars and they have that different sort of appreciation for cars and car parts.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 35cz8 said:

My wife and I will be traveling next week and while on the road, we would like to stop at wrecking yards that are along the way.  If anyone knows of any good wrecking yards - that have cars from 1930 to 1963 - that are in or near Farmington, NM,  Cortez, NM, Montrose, CO, and  Grand Junction, CO - I would sure like to know about them so I can stop in for a look at what they have.  Thanks in advance for any information.  I have MOPARs from 1930 to 1967 and one lonely 1963 Ford Galaxie and enjoy looking for parts as we travel.

Bob

Don't know what route you are taking, but French Lake Auto is 80 some miles from Farmington MN. and depending on the route you take it may or may not be out of your way.This is part of the blurb from their web site:

Restorable Classic Vehicles and Parts

With over 100 acres of classic cars, our inventory changes daily. We have vehicles in our yard dating back to the 1920’s, many with useable parts. Our yard is clean and well organized, making it easy for you to find the parts you need. Customers are welcome to pull their own parts or have our knowledgeable staff pull it for them. We can help you find the parts you need to complete your dream project!

My first time out there was about 35 years ago and it was a junk car jungle, run by an nice old guy who sat in an old machine shed. He like to talk and offered you coffee poured into the dirtiest cups you've ever seen, you pulled your own parts and it didn't seem to matter what you got, from a set of hubcaps to a steering wheel, everything was $10. Last time I was out there it cost almost ten bucks to take the tour and if you really want to look at everything, it's worth the price of admission.

1 hour ago, Digger914 said:

Don't know what route you are taking, but French Lake Auto is 80 some miles from Farmington MN. and depending on the route you take it may or may not be out of your way.This is part of the blurb from their web site:

Restorable Classic Vehicles and Parts

With over 100 acres of classic cars, our inventory changes daily. We have vehicles in our yard dating back to the 1920’s, many with useable parts. Our yard is clean and well organized, making it easy for you to find the parts you need. Customers are welcome to pull their own parts or have our knowledgeable staff pull it for them. We can help you find the parts you need to complete your dream project!

My first time out there was about 35 years ago and it was a junk car jungle, run by an nice old guy who sat in an old machine shed. He like to talk and offered you coffee poured into the dirtiest cups you've ever seen, you pulled your own parts and it didn't seem to matter what you got, from a set of hubcaps to a steering wheel, everything was $10. Last time I was out there it cost almost ten bucks to take the tour and if you really want to look at everything, it's worth the price of admission.

It's a really long way from Farmington, NM to Farmington, MN.

4 minutes ago, Mike36 said:

It's a really long way from Farmington, NM to Farmington, MN.

Maybe in miles, but in the alphabet forward or backward m & n are always right next to each other. Besides, cross country trips are adventures, there was a song a few years back about a long haired hippy that had a flat tire in a small southern town and after he got his tire fixed decided to drive to LA via Omaha.

When you have time, the view from the scenic route is always worth the few extra miles.

• Like 1

You might also check tow yards that have been in business a long time they always have a so called keeper out back,a friend of mine is a tow driver that travels the western states picking up theft recoveries,he said there's a yard called crossroads towing in northern Idaho that has a lot of cars but says they have to lots so make them show you the one with the old stuff I just found there card3508  Hoffman lane Nampo Idaho might be worth going out of your way,.  Dave

8 hours ago, TerryB said:

Only a serious car guy, with a very understanding wife, would make visiting junkyards a priority on a vacation trip.  I love it!!

Terry

Terry,  My wife and I would go junk yard hopping when we were in our teens and still just dating.  Not many girls were lucky enough to have a boyfriend that would take them to junk yards and we even celebrated her 21 st birthday junkyard hopping LOL.  She loves the old cars too and always has.

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips on yards.  I live in Arizona and we used to have some really great yards here but a lot of them shut down as they were either forced out of the expanding city or as the owners passed and the family didn't want to take over. I have been chasing cars and parts for just over 50 years and still love just walking through them even if I don't find anything I need.  When we still had a couple of very young kids, we would always sit down with a map, plan a vacation then search for wrecking yards that were within an hour or so driving distance from any road we were going to travel.  Saw a lot of neat cars and met a lot of great people.  This time, we will be driving from Northeastern AZ with a destination of Montrose CO.  Exact route is not set in stone, so can be altered for salvage yard stops. Thanks again.

Bob

11 hours ago, 35cz8 said:

This time, we will be driving from Northeastern AZ with a destination of Montrose CO.  Exact route is not set in stone, so can be altered for salvage yard stops. Thanks again.

Bob

Not a very long trip.

Guest BillP

We go to Telluride every year for the Bluegrass Festival. Driving south out of Montrose on 550 there aren't specifically junkyards, but there are quite a few derelict cars and trucks. Ridgeway itself has bunches of good stuff around, for example, a half mile or so west of the intersection on 82, there's a complete looking 58-ish Loewy Stude 2 door in a back yard.