1909 Hupmobile

GasWorksGarage

Different whistle but similar effect.  There are hundreds of these with different variations on antique and vintage cars.

Do you have the original Breeze carburetor on the car?  If so, you won't find a "carb kit", although you can find people who rebuild them.

Send me your email address and I can send you a copy of the 37 page Breeze carburetor manual...yes, they had lots of adjustments for such a small device!  david.coco@comcast.net 

Looks like someone has added not only the whistle, but also what appears to be linkage for variable magneto timing.  Totally unnecessary on this little engine.

The whistle---oh, yes---in the early motorcar days many municipalities required motorists to have, and use, "warning devices". to warn  pedestrians, horsebackers and  horse propelled vehicle operators  that a noisy, backfiring, frightening motorcar was in the vicinity...horses sometimes blindly ran away, and a runaway horse was something to avoid...

They took advantage of the primer cup hole to install a whistle on your car. I've always liked those Strombergs with the glass bowl which allow you to peek inside. It's not the correct carb for the Hupmobile, however. That would be the Breeze, as mentioned above. Your intake manifold has been altered for this retrofit.

Phil

Yes, #75 sure would make it an early one, I've not heard of any lower numbers at this point, and I've been in contact with a LOT of Model 20 owners over the years.

Someone has gone to some trouble to "improve" the engine on this car, carb as mentioned, and I still think that's linkage added for a variable timing on magneto, which is incorrect and arguably not needed.

I've asked GWG via email to verify engine number, which should be stamped on flange at transmission (most of the time stamped on trans flange too). 

Very interesting car.

I guess an early one may not have the number there, but know that later ones had the number stamped on top of flange connecting engine and transmission.  I thought they were all like that.

Have no idea where else a number would be stamped. 

Someone recast intakes not long ago, as there were so many of them that had the bottom of the J shape cut off (so another carb would fit to replace original Breeze).  I'm not sure who had them.  An original will be very difficult to find as a spare part in someone's stash.

A correct Breeze carb will set you back 800-1000, if you can find one.

Also, the original DU4 Bosch magneto was a fixed timing, never heard back if yours has been changed to variable timing.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, GasWorksGarage said:

Does anyone have any info on get a kit for the Stromburg carb?

At one time, we offered kits for the Stromberg glass bowl carbs. However, there are 12 different STYLES of needles and seats used (different styles, not just different orifice sizes). After selling several, and having a couple come back because the owner had a different style than what the early Stromberg literature suggested he/she should have; we gave up, and discontinued these kits.

I am not aware of anyone else producing them.

Jon.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:09 PM, trimacar said:

Someone recast intakes not long ago, as there were so many of them that had the bottom of the J shape cut off (so another carb would fit to replace original Breeze).  I'm not sure who had them.  An original will be very difficult to find as a spare part in someone's stash.

A correct Breeze carb will set you back 800-1000, if you can find one.

Also, the original DU4 Bosch magneto was a fixed timing, never heard back if yours has been changed to variable timing.

Sorry,

yes it has a timer on it. Someone has modified it.

These are great little cars, if one understands the limitations of them.  The most significant is that mean Mr. Gravity hates them, and any significant hill you try to climb with a Model 20 Hupp will prove that point.  If there's one thing the car needs, it's a middle gear.

I'd suggest you get the car back to original for best performance.  Fixed timing magneto, and correct intake manifold and carburetor.  Make sure the front end is in excellent shape, these cars, with rack and pinion steering, are very quick to steer and slow to forgive sloppiness in front end condition.

I always contrast the Hupp Model 20, 1909-1911, with Model T of the same years.  The early T's are few and far in between, at least the correct ones are, that are original and not pieced together from a pile of parts.  Yet there are literally hundreds of Model 20 Hupps out there.  Just from my files I could probably come up with triple digits, having owned mine for 40 years and corresponded with a lot of owners.  Heck, one just came up available an hour from me, one I'd never heard of.  Yet the T's bring big bucks and the Hupps not so much.  Even verifying the earliest Hupp, as you mention, doesn't bring big value.  And, with all due respect, I'm still not convinced of the early number until there's some proof of number stamped on engine or transmission.  Your car appears to be early, but it's easy to come up with a data plate and title that show early number.

Again, not beating up on you or the car, but would really like to have this verified as a very early car.

15 hours ago, trimacar said:

These are great little cars, if one understands the limitations of them.  The most significant is that mean Mr. Gravity hates them, and any significant hill you try to climb with a Model 20 Hupp will prove that point.  If there's one thing the car needs, it's a middle gear.

I'd suggest you get the car back to original for best performance.  Fixed timing magneto, and correct intake manifold and carburetor.  Make sure the front end is in excellent shape, these cars, with rack and pinion steering, are very quick to steer and slow to forgive sloppiness in front end condition.

I always contrast the Hupp Model 20, 1909-1911, with Model T of the same years.  The early T's are few and far in between, at least the correct ones are, that are original and not pieced together from a pile of parts.  Yet there are literally hundreds of Model 20 Hupps out there.  Just from my files I could probably come up with triple digits, having owned mine for 40 years and corresponded with a lot of owners.  Heck, one just came up available an hour from me, one I'd never heard of.  Yet the T's bring big bucks and the Hupps not so much.  Even verifying the earliest Hupp, as you mention, doesn't bring big value.  And, with all due respect, I'm still not convinced of the early number until there's some proof of number stamped on engine or transmission.  Your car appears to be early, but it's easy to come up with a data plate and title that show early number.

Again, not beating up on you or the car, but would really like to have this verified as a very early car.

I understand what you are saying we also found the serial number on the frame as well. We literally got boxes of old photos and newspaper articles about this car.

We have an original 1911 Model T Torpedo in collection as well.

• Like 1

Great, glad you found number on frame.  Exciting to know that such an early Hupp exists, and sounds like it's in good hands now!  Keep us informed on progress.....the little Hupp 20 is a favorite of mine, not a powerhouse, but a great looking and good driving car if you understand it's limitations.....

Hupp with Cord small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jason1434

Hello gas works.  Where did you find the numbers on the frame.  I have what I'm told is a 1909 but might be 1910 module 20.  I can't seem to be able to find the numbers on the frame.

1500087347333-902813413.jpg

I've never seen a number on the "frame" of a Hupp, but that could have been an early practice when production started in 1909.

Jason1434, look for numbers on the top of the two flanges that connect engine and transmission, that's usually where the motor number is stamped.  This is not the body tag number, but is close.  The car number would have been on a data plate centered on the dash, facing the driver.

From your picture, a couple of details indicate to me that your car is a late 1910 or early 1911, and my guess is that the number on your car is in the 6500-7500 range. And yes, it's a Model 20.  Nice car.