Fuel Gauge (Finally Working)

Yes but be very carful as this is pot metal or zinc as some call it. Use denatured alcohol and a Qtip to swab out the glass and reservoir. Restoration supply and classic & exotic supply also has the fluid for it. Be very carful when taking the line off   as not to crimp it. Follow it back to the tank on the right side of the car to see if it's not broken in to. I can help with more questions if you have them. Lanny

• Like 2

Go back to the main forum page and do a search for King Seeley.  There are 122 threads on this type of gauge.  Google also has pages and pages of information.  Whatever you do don't loose the fine wires that are in the gauge to calibrate it.  Many cars including Ford used this type of telegauge.

• 1 month later...

Well I have had the sending unit out, because I coated the tank. I cleaned the gauge with acetone and tested it with the fluid I got from Mac's to make sure that the level would change. The tube to the rear is clear of obstructions. I put just enough fluid in it to be just below the reserve level with the tank empty. I first put in 5 gallons and drove it through the country to the gas station. The level never changed. I filled it at the station and drove it home. Still no change. My guess is either an air leak or a problem at the sending unit. Since it rained on the drive the undercarriage was wet I did not investigate further.

20170802_183912.jpg

20170802_211915.jpg

Whoo hoo, it finally works. Turns out the gauge line was cracked right in the bend just like the fuel line was. The easiest fix was using gas line hose. Perhaps not quite original but neither is my electric fuel pump that I use to prime when the fuel pump vapor locks. 

20170804_201423.jpg

20170804_201358.jpg

In case you didn't read it somewhere or no one told you.  Telegauges are great but if the vehicle sits for maybe a month or so the gauge will read low, maybe even empty but will correct itself in a few miles.  Just so you don't panic the first time it happens.

I checked it at 5 and then 10 gallons then topped it off. It read close enough to suit me. I am just tickled to death it works at all. Thank you Tinindian for the heads up. I wonder how much temperature will affect it when setting overnight?

20170804_224223.jpg

20170804_225353.jpg

20170804_222512.jpg

I don't think temperature will have anything to do with it.  The sender works by the slosh of the gasoline in the tank pressurizing the air in the line.  When the car is parked the pressure in the line gradually drops as moisture in the air is absorbed and if the tank is less than full the air seeps back into the tank.