Sign in to follow this  
Chasander

cast aluminum wheel covers

On 10/16/2017 at 5:43 PM, PWB said:

I felt that pain. I spent over $1200. for my NOS set. Still in boxes.

The jump cost from "driver" to "Mint" goes exponentially.

Yet nothing like the satisfaction of resurrecting an original, huh?

Good stuff

There is certainly satisfaction in bringing a project to a satisfactory completion. I have not attended an ROA meet to view some really good looking cars. I feel mine is a solid driver and a very nice car that meets my expectations. I have no idea how Red Riviera would measure up to others. I'm not going to compete Red Riviera with any expectations of winning anything. I would like to show my car to other Riv owners to get some tips on how to improve the car. ( I have a list of to do stuff ). For me to see the difference in a set of driver  cast aluminum wheels and mint I'd have to be shown. Maybe the difference is simply a comparison of newly manufactured versus used. I don't know. May I request you open the box of one of your NOS cast aluminum rims and take a pic to send? 

Thank you,

Red Riviera Bob

2 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

There is certainly satisfaction in bringing a project to a satisfactory completion. I have not attended an ROA meet to view some really good looking cars. I feel mine is a solid driver and a very nice car that meets my expectations. I have no idea how Red Riviera would measure up to others. I'm not going to compete Red Riviera with any expectations of winning anything. I would like to show my car to other Riv owners to get some tips on how to improve the car. ( I have a list of to do stuff ). For me to see the difference in a set of driver  cast aluminum wheels and mint I'd have to be shown. Maybe the difference is simply a comparison of newly manufactured versus used. I don't know. May I request you open the box of one of your NOS cast aluminum rims and take a pic to send? 

Thank you,

Red Riviera Bob

Sorry Mr. Bob,

I've got P02's. They have a cast spoke center in a stainless dish. Pot metal cap and galvanized rear plate. They're so huge they have their own balance weights. I exchanged my chrome rims for them!

Anyway, all "drivers" are welcome. One can take the approach as I do -  get the better parts as they surface. 

All come to those who wait. 

Riv 2 PWB - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWB said:

Sorry Mr. Bob,

I've got P02's. They have a cast spoke center in a stainless dish. Pot metal cap and galvanized rear plate. They're so huge they have their own balance weights. I exchanged my chrome rims for them!

Anyway, all "drivers" are welcome. One can take the approach as I do -  get the better parts as they surface. 

All come to those who wait. 

Riv 2 PWB - Copy.JPG

Paul, very fine appearance and stance. Off hand, I'm not comfortable speculating the year model of your Riviera. The red lines and wheel covers complement one another. Your location is Florida, but the trees appear to be broadleaf, but I'm okay being wrong.

The color appears to be black, but could be a navy blue. The wax shines real good.

thank you, 

Red Riviera Bob

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Bob,

We should expect to see you in Overland Park in 2018 then, correct?

Ed, Overland Park is Kansas? Right?

i have the time and I really love the sunflower fields Mile after mile.

ill check calendar dates and find out more of what the happenings are and give serious consideration of attending.

RRB

Bob,

Overland Park is one of the cities that make up the Kansas City Metropolitan area.  It's actually the second largest city in the metro.  So that puts it on the eastern edge of the state; most of the sun flowers grow in the central and western part.  BUT, there's a huge sunflower farm in Lawrence, KS which is about 30 miles west of Overland Park.  Google Grinters Farms for some info.  

As time gets closer, I'll post a number of things that will be of interest in the area.  Overland Park may be in the KC metro, but it's on the southern edge; very suburban, not urban.  Very new, very progressive*.  And it's home to Jack Stacks, Q39, Joe's KC, and a bunch of other barbecue places.  Bring your appetite. In the area, there are a  number of world renowned museums - The National  WWII Museum, The Nelson-Atkins museum, and the Steam Boat Arabia museum, plus otbers.  Check them out on Google.  KC is also home to the National Negro Leagues baseball museum, and the NCAA basketball museum and Hall of Fame.  There are a number of local wineries within a few minutes drive, plus the Boulevard Brewery and the Union Horse distillery. As the song states "Everything's Up to Date in Kansas City."

Look forward to seeing get you and everyone else.

Ed 

*I was having lunch with my younger daughter last week and she told me of some facts that are pretty amazing.  Within a three mile radius of the Leawood Town Center ,  there is about 3 billion dollars in expendable income. Town Center is about 8 - 9 miles from the host hotel. (I don't live there, that's for sure 😆) You will NOT be in Dorothy's and Toto's Kansas.

Edited by RivNut
effing predictive text (see edit history)

Nice wheels (and car) Paul!

Those PO2 hub caps on your '67 sure look similar to the turbine style optional "PO1 Bright Metal Wheel Cover" offered on Corvettes for $57.95 starting in 1968.  Do you know if these are the same as the PO2 covers offered on 2nd Gen Riviera's?  They look quite similar, except for the center cap emblem.  These covers must be a bear to clean properly with all those radial fins...

6 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Nice wheels (and car) Paul!

Those PO2 hub caps on your '67 sure look similar to the turbine style optional "PO1 Bright Metal Wheel Cover" offered on Corvettes for $57.95 starting in 1968.  Do you know if these are the same as the PO2 covers offered on 2nd Gen Riviera's?  They look quite similar, except for the center cap emblem.  These covers must be a bear to clean properly with all those radial fins...

Same cover different center cap.

The Corvette gang goes bonkers for them. Thats why a mint set commands high coin.

They made a 14" version for Camaros but by then no one wanted covers anymore. 

Most were melted away or Devo used them for hats.

devo-banner.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

FYI, Chevy offered two styles of this wheel cover but they are very close in appearance.  The Corvette's had a recessed plastic emblem in the center cap just like the Riviera.  There is another Chevy version where the emblem is not recessed and the emblem is a flush mounted aluminum piece that was glued on.  It was standard on the 1972 Monte Carlo Custom which was a one year only offering and also optional on other Chevy's.

On 2017-06-29 at 10:52 AM, RivNut said:

I have a large stack of these each of which needs some kind of repair.

Good day. New to the forum, from Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I've owned a 1964 Riv' since 1980 and I am looking for a couple of the aluminium bolt on wheel covers. Two of my four originals are still in reasonable shape, (in need of a good pro polish....) but one has a 4-in piece broken off, and another has the complete outer ring broken off. Based on what I've read here, one of these is possibly a candidate for repair, (if I can find someone local that could do it...) but the one missing the outer ring I can't imagine being fixed. I'm hoping to find a couple still in reasonable shape, but in need of a good polish and new paint, and of course, someone willing to ship these to Canada. We have terrible exchange rate against the US dollar, but I'm more than willing to pay fair market US$ plus reasonable shipping.

Thanks, Hopefully the pictures show up...

Later,

Mike

image2.JPG

image1-5.JPG

I plan on digging some of these out for resale at the ROA event in Overland Park. It will probably be a few weeks before I get to them, but I'll look them over and see what's in the stack that may be better than what you already have.

The one with the entire outer ring broken off makes for an interesting look,

Ed

17 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I plan on digging some of these out for resale at the ROA event in Overland Park. It will probably be a few weeks before I get to them, but I'll look them over and see what's in the stack that may be better than what you already have.

The one with the entire outer ring broken off makes for an interesting look,

Ed

Ed, thanks for the prompt response, AND more importantly, hope...)

Ya, the broken ring is a drag, but on an ol' 20-footer, (for all intent and purpose still original), it could look worse...

Thanks again, keep me posted... 

Later,

Mike 

swickmj at telus dot net (replace the at and dot for email...)

image2-2.JPG

On 10/18/2017 at 10:11 AM, RivNut said:

Bob,

We should expect to see you in Overland Park in 2018 then, correct?

R3d Riviera Bob, has application paid, room reservation, and airline tickets. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2018 at 11:00 PM, RivNut said:

but I'll look them over and see what's in the stack that may be better than what you already have.

Ed, good day, hope all is well…

Since I last posted back in mid March, I was able to locate one of these wheel covers off of a ’63 (unpainted) from a Canadian seller in reasonable shape, (at a VERY good price, don't ask...:) ) and just showed up today. It's in need of a couple minor repairs, a bit of polishing and then paint for the ’64. (Also came with a bonus spinner, albeit cracked tri-shield centre,  overall in pretty good shape, photo attached…)

In searching for information related to these turbine wheel covers, a handful of links refer back to this forum in various topics, and you seem to be very knowledgeable. If you don't mind, I just want to confirm that the area between the vanes is indeed painted black for the ‘64.

The reason I ask, is that in this discussion from the aaca way-back machine of 2007,

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/103896-correct-wheel-coverhubcaps-for-1964/

you wrote;’

“The center of the knock off has a large black plastic piece in it with the silver Riviera R. .. (clipped for brevity... my bold->) The centers of the turbines are painted a dark charcoal grey, not black.

In various other posts, and most pictures that I can see, these certainly do look like they are painted black between the vanes. Maybe I’m misinterpreting the 2007 post, but are these indeed painted black or charcoal grey?

Also, just for clarity, in a lot of photos it's tough to tell, but are the vertical portions of the vanes supposed to be painted or unpainted? I suspect the latter, but I'm not 100%

As mentioned, Ed, I was hoping to find two of these, but now I only need one. I’m not sure if you’ve had a chance to organize your collection for the ROA meet, but I’m still interested in acquiring one more of these in reasonable shape. Also, if you have or know where to find the correct centre R plastic thingies, I could use a couple of those. I’d prefer to buy them from someone that knows that they are indeed the correct ones to fit these particular spinners as opposed to me trying to buy them by guess by golly…

Thanks.

Later,

Mike

image1-7.JPG

The centers are the same that were on the base wheel cover.  Usually these don't get the abuse that the knock off centers fget.

I may ha e been wrong about the color.  The  ore I see them, the  ore I think they may be black.  I think I have a couple of rough 64s in my stack.  I'll see how far up the vanes the paint goes and get back to you.  While I'm looking through them, I'll see what I have and what condition they're in.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Yes, black is the correct color. Vertical surfaces? Dont quite understand which area you are referring to? Do you mean the outward facing surface of the vanes? Those should be bright Al, not black

Tom Mooney

Below is a photo of what I believe is correct for a '64.  I used this photo to polish and paint my wheel covers last winter and I'm happy with the results.  

Please note that the wheel below isn't mine.  I took that photo at the 2015 ROA meet and the car belongs to Bob Stemm.  

DSC_0065.JPG

3 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Yes, black is the correct color. Vertical surfaces? Dont quite understand which area you are referring to? Do you mean the outward facing surface of the vanes? Those should be bright Al, not black

Tom Mooney

Tom, good day.

Thanks.

The portion of the vanes I was wondering about is what is shown in the photo in green tape. It appears that based on the photo above and Pat's subsequent comment that the entire area is indeed painted black leaving only the outer portion of the vanes unpainted. This would make sense as I can't imagine the challenge of polishing and subsequently masking to keep those "vertical" portions unpainted. Keeping just the thin portion of each vane (exposed to outward view) unpainted should be relatively easy to mask off.

For a similar application of masking , I've coated the portion to remain unpainted with vasoline then after the paint is cured, I've carefully wiped the vasoline off . No paint seepage below tape, worked like a charm...

For what it's worth, and obviously I'm a little biased, but as objectively as possible, I do think these are one of the classiest looking factory wheel covers to come out of Detroit...

Thanks again for the input, guys, much appreciated.

Later,

Mike

Taped Wheel.jpg

43 minutes ago, MikeJS said:

Tom, good day.

Thanks.

The portion of the vanes I was wondering about is what is shown in the photo in green tape. It appears that based on the photo above and Pat's subsequent comment that the entire area is indeed painted black leaving only the outer portion of the vanes unpainted. This would make sense as I can't imagine the challenge of polishing and subsequently masking to keep those "vertical" portions unpainted. Keeping just the thin portion of each vane (exposed to outward view) unpainted should be relatively easy to mask off.

For a similar application of masking , I've coated the portion to remain unpainted with vasoline then after the paint is cured, I've carefully wiped the vasoline off . No paint seepage below tape, worked like a charm...

For what it's worth, and obviously I'm a little biased, but as objectively as possible, I do think these are one of the classiest looking factory wheel covers to come out of Detroit...

Thanks again for the input, guys, much appreciated.

Later,

Mike

Taped Wheel.jpg

Oh, I see, the photo which Eric posted is correct. I`m partial to the covers also, very nice,

Tom

Another way do do it besides the vaseline is to use a rag dampened (not wet) with lacquer thinner to remove excess paint on the top surface of the vanes.  And you are right, a classy looking wheel cover for sure.