1940 champion windshield help

Reassembling a 1940 champion 4 door sedan after paint and have not been able to figure out how to reinstall  the windshield. I have a new seal from SI. I've inserted both sides of the glass into the rubber channel, but when I try to install from the inside it all seems to wide to fit into the windshield opening, i.e. the "A-pillars" are preventing me from getting the glass and seal to the windshield opening.  What am I doing wrong? Is there a "trick" or technique in getting the glass and seal flush to the inside of the windshield so that the rubber seal can be pulled over the flange.  I know about the string in the channel to pull the rubber over the flange but I can't get to that point. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

post some pics of the installation....I'm very interested...I will be installing my '39 windshield soon with new rubber from SI and new glass.   Seems I heard/read where you move the glass inwards slightly (close the gap) to install the rubber over the metal lip.  Then place wedges between the two pieces of glass to push them outwards and to open the up for the center pieces.  Was I dreaming or did I really see this somewhere?  It seems to make sense.  

this would help left and right but maybe not up and down.     

• 2 weeks later...

I have been unable to return to this thread for a while but in the meantime, after many unsuccessful tries,  I have been able to install the windshield. I installed the rubber seal on one piece of glass and installed it.  Then (with 2 people and four patient hands) installed the other half of the rubber onto the other half of the windshield and then installed that half. Unfortunately the space between the glass was too narrow for the metal divider strip. I carefully marked the drivers side glass which seemed to be to far to the center  and had about 1/8 inch of  glass removed. I then reinstalled that half as before and then installed the divider strip.  I can only assume that the new rubber seal was a bit thicker than needed or there was some other issue that caused the space between the two pieces of glass to be to narrow. The 2 pieces of glass were new and cut to the exact size as the old glass.

In any case , the windshield is installed and seems to be sealed properly. The first rain storm will be the test.

Thanks for all the previous suggestions and hope my info will help some else. I don't claim that this is the proper method but it worked for me