Air cond shuts off when I accelerate quickly

RTW

Yes.  There may be a vacuum-controlled cut-out in the system that turns off the A/C compressor under hard accelerating/high load conditions, so the engine will deliver max power. I have that on several of my cars, and not just TC's. Don't worry, its a good thing. And if you don't like it, its a simple matter to disable it, once you locate the switch.

8 hours ago, RTW said:

When I accelerate quickly or go up a hill my air conditioner seems to shut off.  It turns back on when I slow it down.

Has anyone had this happen?

Yes, it is not a compressor cut-out switch that is causing your consternation, it is a loss of engine vacuum to the controls on the instrument panel, hence the vacuum diaphragms that control where the cold air is directed to come out.

No doubt it switches from the dash outlets to the floor outlets temporarily. This is a common occurrence on older cars, it happens to us all.

If you have a 'FACTORY SHOP MANUAL', that would help you a lot in tracing the vacuum line (a very small black plastic tube) like so many others in the engine compartment, providing vacuum from the engine intake manifold through a "1 WAY CHECK VALVE", then into the passenger compartment, I would inspect the 'check valve' first to verify that it passes "suction" in one direction and NONE WHATSOEVER in the other direction.  This line passes through at the very same area as the two 5/8" heater hoses going to your heater core, through the firewall.

There are 2 similar small lines. One line is the inlet line, the other controls the water shutoff valve under your battery tray, the valve being connected to four (4) heater hoses.

I know this is a lot to digest, but unlike many who help here, I have been a Chrysler mechanic for over 50 years and will be glad to explain it to you, if you I/M me.