90 reattablower motor not working

Reatta90

Hey guys, I have a 1990 Buick reatta, and I seem to have an issue with getting the blower motor to turn on. Fo a while there the one it had was making a lot of grinding sounds, so I unplugged it, it kind of seemed like it would kind of come on even if i had it off but I was told it was because of winding forcing it to move cause it was only when the car was moving at some speed. So I left it unplugged for a while. I finally replaced it, and yes I did check the motor before putting it on and it works. I also have check all my fuses and all are good. But I still cant get the motor to turn on cause I want to get the a/c working. I read that if your resistor is bad then, it won't work at variations of speed but will work at full speed. But it doesn't do that for me and I don't know if thats true for reattas. So if you have things for me to check, could you please be sure to elaborate on how to do so. Thank you guys in advance! 

25 minutes ago, Reatta90 said:

But would you know what models would share that module cause itd be easier to go looking for that module on a more common car 

Go HERE  and click on any of the blue numbers after a the manufacturer. A dialog box will appear, with all cross references. (They will all be the same.)

GM used the same control module for several years in Cadillac, Buick, probably Olds and Pontiac

Go to the pick n pull and buy a couple.

You can test them without installing buy unplugging the connectors from the suspected bad unit and plug into the hopefully good replacement, then give it a try.

If everything works, then pull the old one ....install the new one.

While you have it out check the face of the evaporator for crud......clean it and get an improvement in A/C performance.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When most people have a failed module the unit runs all the time and won't turn off. I had a problem where the fan wouldn't turn on when the teperature setting would call for it. I swapped a number of modules with no improvement and finally decided to try a blower fan. It turned out to be the blower fan coming on pretty much when it wanted to [probably when the windings would cool down enough].

You can test your blower fan all the time when it is cool and it will run, but when it is hot that is when the resistance is too high and it won't come on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

You can test your blower fan all the time when it is cool and it will run, but when it is hot that is when the resistance is too high and it won't come o

Yes but it won't even cut on when cold

• 1 year later...