WANTED: 1967 CHEVY MALIBU 2 DOOR

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I don't check this forum very often anymore and I'm in Washington DC for the Cadillac-LaSalle National Meet so my computer time is limited. Apologies.

The car is in my shop in Macedonia, Ohio. 1333 Highland Rd. Easy to get there, call if you need directions. I have not yet put a price on the Chevelle but it will be north of $40K. I sold a non-matching, manual steer, manual brake 1967 Chevelle a few months ago for $56K, so these cars are hot right now. If your friend can find a good one, he'll do well to hold it for a while. This one has a great pedigree and hasn't been beaten to death. I like the color, although most guys want black or red or Marina Blue.

Nice car, worth the investment, but maybe not for everyone if price is a consideration. On the other hand, you get what you pay for and a good car will always be worth a premium, now and in the future.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I don't check this forum very often anymore and I'm in Washington DC for the Cadillac-LaSalle National Meet so my computer time is limited. Apologies.

The car is in my shop in Macedonia, Ohio. 1333 Highland Rd. Easy to get there, call if you need directions. I have not yet put a price on the Chevelle but it will be north of $40K. I sold a non-matching, manual steer, manual brake 1967 Chevelle a few months ago for $56K, so these cars are hot right now. If your friend can find a good one, he'll do well to hold it for a while. This one has a great pedigree and hasn't been beaten to death. I like the color, although most guys want black or red or Marina Blue.

Nice car, worth the investment, but maybe not for everyone if price is a consideration. On the other hand, you get what you pay for and a good car will always be worth a premium, now and in the future.

Thanks.

Hello Matt and thanks for you reply. 

I would like to tell you this "hunt" for the right '67 Chevelle for my Ohio buddy has been going on, for some time now. 

NO TIRE KICKERS HERE. 

My " middle aged " Ohio buddy still works full time, so I'm trying to assist, being that I'm a retired ole guy.

I'm being assisted by another AACA member, Auburnseeker, as well.

The "potential buyer" is a cash buyer,  ready to buy as soon as the right car is shown.

I sent your initial pics, which you posted here on AACA.  He liked what he saw.

I understand where Macedonia is located, for I lived in northeastern Ohio since birth ....... until I moved south 15 years ago.

I also understand  Macedonia is approximately 40 miles north of Canton, yet we  see your car, advertised at another dealer, in Canton., Ohio

Is this the same car ? ? ?

If so, does the dealer in Canton own the car or do you, in Macedonia,  own the car ?

The Canton dealer has a price of $45,000 on his car.

Confusing, you must admit.

http://www.corvettesandmusclecars.com/1967-Chevrolet-Chevelle/Used-Car/NorthCanton-OH/8736074/Details.aspx

Please advise.

Thanks, Bob.

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)

I haven't figured that out yet. I haven't spent any time with the car. It arrived as I was leaving for the CLC show on Tuesday so I haven't done anything but drive it around the block. I need to get more in depth with it and evaluate the details before pasting a price on it. Mid-$40s probably.

An interesting car, if actually factory equipped with a 4 speed. 

No reason for it not to be a factory equipped 4 speed.

I've been watching bits and pieces of Mecum's auction, looking at '66 and '67' Chevelles, in particular.

The auction SALE  prices seem to be significantly lower than the prices we have been finding.

Don't forget to factor in the 10 percent buyer's premium in that price.   Not that that will be huge but still a consideration.  Maybe some of them aren't as nice as the ones we have found either.  A few moments on the screen under the Jewelry store lighting makes a turd look nice and shiney.   Usually there is little said about the mechanical health of alot of those cars. 

Maybe your friend should head to an auction with a bank check if they are.  Looks like it might be the only way to get a deal. 

I'm starting to lose track of them all.  After all they are still all for the most part 67 Chevelle 2 door hardtops.  They kind of blend together once you have found one in each color unless something really stands out about them and most seem pretty nice.  All seem to be in the 20-28 range for non SS cars. 

I wish I had this kind of choice looking for an Auburn.  

Oh well we have Sunday coming up.  I'm guessing I'll find a nice black one.  I haven't seen one of those posted in 2 or 3 days.  LOL

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I'm starting to lose track of them all.  After all they are still all for the most part 67 Chevelle 2 door hardtops.  They kind of blend together once you have found one in each color unless something really stands out about them and most seem pretty nice.  All seem to be in the 20-28 range for non SS cars. 

I wish I had this kind of choice looking for an Auburn.  

Oh well we have Sunday coming up.  I'm guessing I'll find a nice black one.  I haven't seen one of those posted in 2 or 3 days.  LOL

I looked at 69 various ads in the Hemmings online site tonight,  for a true 13817.

Prices ranged from $25 to $55.... in the ads I selected and forwarded.

For $38 to $50, finding a true 13817 with a matching number 396 was certainly possible ........ including very nice restorations.

With any old car you get alot of bang usually for every extra 1,000  you spend up front.  

For example most Chevelles under 20 are pretty crappy and under 10 rough.  YEt just break that 20 mark and you get a pretty nice car. YEt have 17500 in hand you won't find anything anywhere near as nice as a 20G car.  As we always say spend the money up front.   Seems to be really shown with the Vette market as well.  Try buying a C1 under 40.  Under 30 needs 30G to make it a 40G car.  Yet spend 10 to 20 G over that 40G and you open yourself up to a whole different level of cars you could never build for the difference.  You also start getting into the whole matching number and survivor plus rare optioned cars.  When I was looking 45 G would buy me a decent non matching numbers low horse driver that was most likely a damaged car that had fiberglass work.  For 61 I bought an all matching numbers fuel injected very nice,  very high #3 low 2 car with one quality respray done years earlier with a no hit body and atleast 30 years of documentation that was in excellent mechanical condition. 

That's why I always tell people looking,  to figure out their budget then look just a little above that.  It's often worth even borrowing a few bucks to buy those nicer cars.   I think almost every car and piece of equipment i have bought in the last 10 years ended up being just a little more than I wanted to spend,  but in every case,  the return in value was amazing.

It's especially true if you can't do the work yourself.  A guy locally bought a 56 Crown Vic.  It was an older restoration.  I think he paid about 20.  It was an older car that looked decent but had had all new floors and lots of other body work.  Then he took and had it painted because the body was starting to bubble.  Got a deal and I believe that was under 5G for that,  but it came out the wrong color/ shade.  Then he had my Friend's shop put 5 new radial wide whites on it,  Add power disc brakes and fix a bunch of other mechanical problems it had.  He now has 30 G in it atleast,  but it's still an old patched up car.   I haven't looked close so I don[t know how all the little chrome parts are and what not.  If he would have spent the 30G up front he could have bought a real nice one,  that didn't need all that work and been driving it for the last year,  rather than trying to get shops to work on it.  I heard it needed floors because it was a car that sat out by a restaurant originally by the side of the road year round as an advertisement.  I can only imagine the shape the rest of the car is really in after sitting by a North country salt sprayed road for years.

I just hate to see guys have bad experiences with old cars to taint their taste for them,  when it could have all been avoided. 

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

With any old car you get alot of bang usually for every extra 1,000  you spend up front.  

For example most Chevelles under 20 are pretty crappy and under 10 rough.  YEt just break that 20 mark and you get a pretty nice car. YEt have 17500 in hand you won't find anything anywhere near as nice as a 20G car.  As we always say spend the money up front.   Seems to be really shown with the Vette market as well.  Try buying a C1 under 40.  Under 30 needs 30G to make it a 40G car.  Yet spend 10 to 20 G over that 40G and you open yourself up to a whole different level of cars you could never build for the difference.  You also start getting into the whole matching number and survivor plus rare optioned cars.  When I was looking 45 G would buy me a decent non matching numbers low horse driver that was most likely a damaged car that had fiberglass work.  For 61 I bought an all matching numbers fuel injected very nice,  very high #3 low 2 car with one quality respray done years earlier with a no hit body and atleast 30 years of documentation that was in excellent mechanical condition. 

That's why I always tell people looking,  to figure out their budget then look just a little above that.  It's often worth even borrowing a few bucks to buy those nicer cars.   I think almost every car and piece of equipment i have bought in the last 10 years ended up being just a little more than I wanted to spend,  but in every case,  the return in value was amazing.

Your comments are well thought out and well taken.  They will be forwarded to the Ohio guy.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

It's especially true if you can't do the work yourself.  A guy locally bought a 56 Crown Vic.  It was an older restoration.  I think he paid about 20.  It was an older car that looked decent but had had all new floors and lots of other body work.  Then he took and had it painted because the body was starting to bubble.  Got a deal and I believe that was under 5G for that,  but it came out the wrong color/ shade.  Then he had my Friend's shop put 5 new radial wide whites on it,  Add power disc brakes and fix a bunch of other mechanical problems it had.  He now has 30 G in it atleast,  but it's still an old patched up car.   I haven't looked close so I don[t know how all the little chrome parts are and what not.  If he would have spent the 30G up front he could have bought a real nice one,  that didn't need all that work and been driving it for the last year,  rather than trying to get shops to work on it.  I heard it needed floors because it was a car that sat out by a restaurant originally by the side of the road year round as an advertisement.  I can only imagine the shape the rest of the car is really in after sitting by a North country salt sprayed road for years.

I just hate to see guys have bad experiences with old cars to taint their taste for them,  when it could have all been avoided. 

Remember the phrase  from days gone by .......  "you can pay me now or pay me later".

• Like 1

22 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Don't forget to factor in the 10 percent buyer's premium in that price.   Not that that will be huge but still a consideration.  Maybe some of them aren't as nice as the ones we have found either.  A few moments on the screen under the Jewelry store lighting makes a turd look nice and shiney.   Usually there is little said about the mechanical health of alot of those cars. 

Maybe your friend should head to an auction with a bank check if they are.  Looks like it might be the only way to get a deal. 

I suggested the "auction route" to my friend. 

He's a GM ASE Certified tech and a good one who cares as to how his end results turn out, but am not certain he would find "comfort" in that arena ...... but I did suggest it to him this past week.

One car will strike him in the right manner, I'm certain.

I'll keep looking.  Maybe he doesn't really want a chevelle after all.   When you really want one,  you get excited about everything. Of course that leads to a lot of disappointment as well , but it's all part of the game. 

It's been a whole day since I found one.  I better get on the ball. 

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I'll keep looking.  Maybe he doesn't really want a chevelle after all.   When you really want one,  you get excited about everything. Of course that leads to a lot of disappointment as well , but it's all part of the game. 

It's been a whole day since I found one.  I better get on the ball. 

LOL ...... my Ohio buddy is a very pragmatic guy,  serious in nature, always focused.

I always thought he'd made a great poker player ....... hard to read any expression on his face.

And yes, he does want a '67 Chevelle.  :)  Ya just can't tell he wants one. LOL.

2 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Forgot to mention that picture showed the good side.  Bonus is it's a southern car so it only needs Floors, braces, roof, interior, glass, and the rear is incorrect as well.  Sounds like the deal to me.

Ok back to work. 

Hmmmm,   wondering if it'll rub out.

Maybe with a concrete block for a buffing pad.  

Probably one owner only driven to church on Sunday and used as a stunt car on the Dukes of Hazzard the rest of the week.  Fresh from Cooter's used car lot right after he got it from Roscoe at the annual charity auction over at the Boar's Nest. 

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:06 PM, auburnseeker said:

Forgot to mention that picture showed the good side.  Bonus is it's a southern car so it only needs Floors, braces, roof, interior, glass, and the rear is incorrect as well.  Sounds like the deal to me.

Ok back to work. 

I sent this one to my Ohio buddy ...... not a '67, but a '72. 

A nice car, and close to my Ohio buddy.

Have not heard back from him though.

270 H.P. out of a 454, boy..... the detuning really stepped in by 1972.

Well, I believe I will close the door and lock it !

The potential purchase of a Chevelle by my Ohio buddy would have been his first BIG DOLLAR PURCHASE of a classic car.

Whether my fault or not, it appears my buddy has been overwhelmed with so many choices .......  along with  the issue of price versus quality.

Thanks to all who participated in this search ....... a special thanks to Auburnseeker for his daily "finds".

• 9 months later...

If your friend is still looking for a Chevelle,  I have a 1967 Chevelle Malibu 2 door hardtop for sale.  This an original L79 powered car with a 4 speed transmission.   Marina blue.  Very nice condition.  I listed it for sale in this forum yesterday, 5/7/18.  Take a look.  Car is in Central PA.  Thanks, Rich  Call or text me for more info  ----  717-449-1690.

20171113_143712.jpg