24 Model B70 Brake upgrade?

I have a customer asking to modify, improve , upgrade (or whatever you want to call it) the external contracting brakes on his 24 Chrysler.  He would like like to end up with a reliable system that will function well in severe conditions as he is planning a trip that will include water crossings and many miles on gravel roads or even cow paths.

I would love to hear a few ideas from the knowledgeable and experienced folks on these forums.  

Thanks

I assume that you have a conversion to internal expanding brakes in mind for the car. At one time I owned a 1928  Chrysler "72" sedan with the same system. I can't see any way to make an upgrade. Even if you found a 1929 Chrysler with internal brakes for a donor the modifications  needed would make the project prohibitively expensive. Good luck with your project. Zeke

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zeke01 said:

I assume that you have a conversion to internal expanding brakes in mind for the car. At one time I owned a 1928  Chrysler "72" sedan with the same system. I can't see any way to make an upgrade. Even if you found a 1929 Chrysler with internal brakes for a donor the modifications  needed would make the project prohibitively expensive. Good luck with your project. Zeke

I agree with the above, but let me add this....the original brakes are probably adequate for the car when adjusted correctly AND above all....the brakes are only as good as the narrow tires you are riding on. You don't want the brakes to work so well that you skid into someone given the small amount of contact with the road surface.

• Like 1

Ha, I love it     There is a old story about the Stanley's.  The first car to drive up Mt Washington. NH   The story says they tied a tree to the car so they could drive back down.  Pretty funny stuff

So I have the same External contracting brake on my 25 Stutz, and they work amazingly well when they are not wet. When they are wet, not so much.  Perhaps a different material on the bands could improve that, but I would certainly be concerned about a trip thru the mud, sand, and across a few small rivers like they have planned.  

Zeke is correct, I was hoping to just change to the 29 internal design, but sounds like that might not be so simple.  

After getting the brakes wet a little light pressure on the brakes will dry them .

The "E" brake could help if necessary unless the water  2 feet deep. 

I have been  tours with "T" Fords in water knee deep  with out any real problems.

Even riding the brake slightly while driving through the water helps.  Makes it so the only place in contact with the water is the edge of the lining.

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=122549

Have a read through this. A number of the cars which go on this rally use external brakes and have no issues. I've used our '29 Plymouth for the last few years (I was the 17 year old son) and can safely say that internal brakes fill up with water and are just useless for the first stop or two. This was painfully apparent this year when I entered a one lane bridge at 50mph because of wet brakes and lack of speed retardation down a steep hill. 

As a side note '29 Desoto internal brakes will fit on the '25 Chrysler front axle. Use this info as you wish.