Now that's a long long bed truck!

auburnseeker

157 in. wheelbase was Ford's long wheelbase for their trucks. Bed looks like a factory express box. These trucks were probably special order as were many body styles of the period. Most express trucks are found on the standard wheelbase.

Just the other day I responded to an Ebay ad asking for more detail.

I now see that Ebay wants you to go to another link to see complete details.

Threw me off a bit.

Even the complete details doesn't list the length of the box. I think the first pic is deceiving.

I think that box is over 9 foot.  Looks special built by some factory.  Remember in the old days you could buy anything you wanted usually right from the dealer/ factory,  unlike today.  That box looks 11-12 foot long to me.  Remembering that those are 1 ton wheels and fenders if you use those for scale purposes. 

Just a rough scaling of the photo it seems that if the wheelbase is 157 inches as stated the box is about 17 1/2 feet long. 

It must have been built to carry something very light. Maybe something like bulk horse hair, feather down etc. I think anything like hay etc. would be far too heavy if the box was loaded.

The truck, including the box, is a Ford product, not aftermarket.  It was built on the 157" wheelbase chassis and the box is 11 feet (132") long. 

Read all about it here:

http://aafords.com/open-bodies/express-bodies/197-express/

I'd say the red truck posted above is custom built.  It appears to be two 30-31 Ford truck cabs joined to form the crew cab, three pickup length running boards, and a modern bed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

The truck, including the box, is a Ford product, not aftermarket.  It was built on the 157" wheelbase chassis and the box is 11 feet (132") long. 

Read all about it here:

http://aafords.com/open-bodies/express-bodies/197-express/

I'd say the red truck posted above is custom built.  It appears to be two 30-31 Ford truck cabs joined to form the crew cab, three pickup length running boards, and a modern bed.

Apparently the red still has a four cylinder engine in it, but with an ohv conversion.

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

Apparently the red still has a four cylinder engine in it, but with an ohv conversion.

Could be on an original 157" wheelbase chassis too.  The Model A engine was rated at 40 HP - dunno how much the OHV would add, but the motor is pretty torque-y.  Add the 6.6:1 rear gear (optional on AA trucks) and you can pull stumps with it - not real speedy though.  ;)

3 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Could be on an original 157" wheelbase chassis too.  The Model A engine was rated at 40 HP - dunno how much the OHV would add, but the motor is pretty torque-y.  Add the 6.6:1 rear gear (optional on AA trucks) and you can pull stumps with it - not real speedy though.  ;)

I suspect it might be even longer. If you follow the link through to the original facebook page there is mention of it having a Cragar head.

41 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

I suspect it might be even longer. If you follow the link through to the original facebook page there is mention of it having a Cragar head.

Yes, chassis could be custom - AFAIK, 157" was the longest Model A.  I estimated it based on the truck appearing to have three pickup-size running boards - those are a fraction under 40" each.  It also appears to have Model A "wishbone" front radius rods.

Dunno how much HP a Cragar head adds - course the engine may have other modifications as well.

1 hour ago, CarlLaFong said:

Other than a few, like Utopia, made at the end of their careers, there were no bad Laurel and Hardy movies

You're not a "Son of the Desert" by any chance are you?

(if so, which tent?)

sod.jpg

11 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

I am not, though I have considered joining. I do have this, so I am a committed L&H fan, as is my 25 year old grand daughter

DSCN2025.JPG

Close enough! :lol: